Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Thoughts on Cruz vs. Salido

Orlando Cruz will be the first openly gay boxer to fight for a world title as he will face former WBO Champion, Orlando Salido, in a 12 round title fight for the vacant WBO Featherweight crown.

What's striking is that Cruz has already caused controversy before the fight by having pictures of him posing in front of his selected ring attire for the fight, a mixture of the LGTB colours and the Puerto Rican flag. Cruz is of Puerto Rican descent and is proud of his heritage, although Puerto Rico being a very conservative society and frowning upon LGBT rights and the like.

What's so brave about Cruz, and what strikes me as similar with another maverick that bucked against the trend, Muhammad Ali (formerly known as Cassius Clay), the greatest of all time, is that he is standing up for what he believes and standing against the seeming injustice and intolerance directed towards gays and homosexuals. That is commendable.

But, as with Ali, the controversy is taking away from his skills and ability in the ring and this title fight, taking away from his career resume, is becoming more political than it is about pure sports and competition- with sports and athleticism being ties that are supposed to bind people, rather than pull them apart- and it also takes away the energy and luster from his opponent and possibly subsequent opponents.

But, the cause, as with Ali's stance against going to Vietnam to fight for an America that wouldn't let him and other people of colour drink from the same fountain as whites, sit at the same dinner table as whites or sit in the same seats as whites on the public buses, is greater than a mere fight and all about bringing awareness to that greater cause.

However, this is all of where those similarities end. For example, Ali was being forced to go to Vietnam, was the undefeated and undisputed heavyweight champion of the world at the time and took jail time for his beliefs. In fact, one can say that we were robbed out of 3 to 5 years of Ali's prime in the ring had he not served jail time.

Ali also converted to Islam, at that time a little known and understood religion (even though it has strong relationships with Christianity and Judaism).

Cruz is no where near that stature, never was a champion, barely is a fringe contender, no one heard of him until he came out as openly gay, his championship qualities that would qualify him as someone to watch (heart, power, speed, boxing style, grit, determination, stamina and hunger) has not been on display at any point in his career and neither is his cause as dire as Civil Rights and the Vietnam War were in the 1960's.

This is not to say Cruz doesn't deserve a shot. For goodness sakes, we have seen worse match-up's with all weight divisions in boxing. Cruz is actually a legitimate contender, albeit not the best contender for the title he is fighting Salido for tonight. But, as said, with boxing, we have seen worse.

For example, we saw last week a blown up heavyweight contender in Seth Mitchell, ranked in the top 5 slots on all of the major sanctioning bodies rankings, who started his pro career as an adult after his football career ended with a knee injury, summarily dispatched in one round by a former title contender in Chris Arreola, who has a longer career both as a professional and an amateur than Mitchell, has a longer record of quality opposition who he has beaten plus has shown his heart, punching power and determination in the ring.

Without a doubt Salido is going to beat the breaks off of Cruz. Even though Cruz has amateur pedigree having represented Puerto Rico in the 2000 Olympics in Australia, which can mean a lot or very little in the professional boxing world, the fight may not last past 5 rounds in my estimation. The only chance Cruz has tonight of winning is by a shocking, one shot knockout punch OR if Salido is robbed by the judges.

Salido has a better record of opposition, has beaten, twice, a former champion who was considered, at that time, to be one of the best pound for pound fighters in the world- within the top 5 fighters in the world. Plus, Salido is hungrier, has shown more heart in the ring, has proven he can take a punch and land heavy shots on his opponents in addition to having tremendous stamina and recuperative powers. Cruz has just not shown that and odds makers would probably agree- Cruz is a 4 to 1 underdog, which is a better chance than I would have given him. But, this is what the expert odds makers have it as.

All that aside, and regardless of the finish, the era of political statements has entered into boxing on this lap. Is it fair or just is not the question as much as it is what it will be. Somewhat of a shame that the fighters aren't getting more shine for their abilities, but the political correctness of this moment calls for something- serendipitous or injected as anyone would want to claim it to be.

A moral victory for the LGTB cause nonetheless. Someone with more bravery outside of the ring will get a chance to prove what he can do inside of it, and God's willing history will be made again by Cruz stepping in the ring to prove what it is he can do.
    Last edited by ykdadamaja; 10-13-2013 at 02:16 PM.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Thoughts on Cruz vs. Salido

The best thing to see would just be a really good fight between the two, I think that would do a lot to squash all the BS around this one.

I'm not sure what Salido has left, but he was a lot more durable than Cruz a couple of years back and that may still be the difference. Cruz isn't a bad fighter though, he's got heart and some slickness, and a bit of pop.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good post.
    I've already stated my thoughts on the fight, but here it goes again:

1. Cruz stands little chance against Salido. He wasn't all that before declaring himself gay... and he's not going to be all that after declaring himself gay.
    2. Cruz is gay. It is what it is. He certainly doesn't deserve to "take a bullet" or "get a severe beating" because of it. Anyone who wishes this has mental issues and should get help. He's not a criminal... and is not hurting anybody.
    3. I don't think Cruz should deny being gay. But I also think he should politely deflect questions about his personal life. They have nothing to do with boxing.
    4. I personally don't like the attire Cruz has chosen to wear in the ring (and won't be a hypocrite about it), because it continues to promote and encourage discussion of the subject. But it's his choice... and that's that.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    The best thing to see would just be a really good fight between the two, I think that would do a lot to squash all the BS around this one.

I'm not sure what Salido has left, but he was a lot more durable than Cruz a couple of years back and that may still be the difference. Cruz isn't a bad fighter though, he's got heart and some slickness, and a bit of pop.
    Salido is more than Cruz can handle. Fight probably goes 5 rounds, and brutality on Cruz from when the bell sounds to when the fight is over.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Good post.
    I've already stated my thoughts on the fight, but here it goes again:

1. Cruz stands little chance against Salido. He wasn't all that before declaring himself gay... and he's not going to be all that after declaring himself gay.
    2. Cruz is gay. It is what it is. He certainly doesn't deserve to "take a bullet" or "get a severe beating" because of it. Anyone who wishes this has mental issues and should get help. He's not a criminal... and is not hurting anybody.
    3. I don't think Cruz should deny being gay. But I also think he should politely deflect questions about his personal life. They have nothing to do with boxing.
    4. I personally don't like the attire Cruz has chosen to wear in the ring (and won't be a hypocrite about it), because it continues to promote and encourage discussion of the subject. But it's his choice... and that's that.
    All of Cruz's big step ups, vs Lock and Ponce De Leon, he was crushed. Not even close fights.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cruz is like a lil Camacho lite if I remember correctly. Very lite.

Salido is a world class fighter with big power and unbelievable toughness. He's also cagey and knows how to land his looping right hand.

Gotta go with Salido by stoppage.

If it goes the distance then the judges could pull some funny business to "make history".

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I dont see Cruz making it to the 12th.
    Last edited by IamInuit; 10-12-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I just want to see cruz take a beating in an inhumane fashiom.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Why?

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FinitoElDinamita View Post
    Why?
    For going against God's will and promoting evil.. the butt pirate needs a life altering experience

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Salido loses this he will be a laughing stock. He's already under massive pressure because of the Mexico- peurto Rico rivalry.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All this strategy stuff does not mean a thing. The real question if Salido is a believer, because Cruz is backed up by the evil-demonic-gay power. If Salido is backed up by his flesh only, he gonna loose. Never bet on works of the flesh. Judging upon recent Salido's quotes, I am afraid he gonna loose.
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you guys taking the piss, or really serious about this whole thing??

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ykdadamaja View Post
    Are you guys taking the piss, or really serious about this whole thing??
    damn serious, that 's a prelude battle between Good and Evil
    Learn Mike Tyson style and elements of Peekaboo @ SugarBoxing

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No one mentions it, but Salido has been caught taking illegal drugs. Every opponent of his should demand strict testing. He's a cheater and there should be no place in the sport for cheaters.

Thread Information