Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Does the current rules and scoring need adjusting

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prediction Contest: Opinion Poll

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Prediction Contest: Opinion Poll

This is not a promise of anything just a measuring stick to see what the popular opinion is.

Feel free to vote and stay anonymous. I'd prefer that so I am not swayed by names and faces.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Prediction Contest: Opinion Poll

If you have problems....dont play. You didnt pay any money to play and frankly I think you guys a being whiny. If there was say a 2 dollar entrance fee and winner gets the pot(idea) then you can complain. IMO just comes off as unappreciative. By the way thanks again BG, your doing a great job. All the math and he hasnt messed up my score yet.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First off you are indeed doing a great job BG. I think the rules are mostly pretty good, it's just a frustration when you get caught out by a rule you wern't aware of.

I still lie awake at night and lament the loss of 8 points at the start of the season because some tard judge ruled the Skelton Sprott fight a draw

I was also annoyed I didn't realise about the alternative fighter rule last week and so didn't choose an outcome for John Duddy.

But to be honest a lot of it is awareness. Now I know of those rules I won't make those mistakes again. By contrast if you changed something next time around I might not be aware of the change and lose out again in which case I'd be stamping my hairy little hobbit feet and kicking the field mice out who share my little hole.

I no longer vote for a UD in any fight as the risk to reward ratio is too low.

But even the though the risk to reward ratio for selecting a KO round is much I'm still too much of a coward to do that either and it's those big point hauls that risk takers such as WelshDevilRob, No Contest and Trainer Monkey earn from being bolder than I that seperates them from me.

So all in all I think the rules are ok, certainly workable once you are aware of them all.

The only changes I'd like to see are an increase in fights from the UK to be used in the competition. The British domestic scene is barely covered and as this is a largely British website I'd like to see that addressed.

I'd also happily vote for the exclusion of the top 3 in the competition on the grounds of too many jammy picks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The only changes I'd like to see are an increase in fights from the UK to be used in the competition. The British domestic scene is barely covered and as this is a largely British website I'd like to see that addressed. Bilbo

I have a homework assinement for you. Go back to the first week and count how many UK fights I have in the contest compared to how many were available on boxrec.com

I think I've done well for the most part. I looked over the Johansson/Gomez fight because Gomez was coming off two KO losses and two 6 round bouts to fight a man that would surley kick his arse.

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php...9358&cat=boxer Gomez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by No Contest
    If you have problems....dont play. You didnt pay any money to play and frankly I think you guys a being whiny. If there was say a 2 dollar entrance fee and winner gets the pot(idea) then you can complain. IMO just comes off as unappreciative. By the way thanks again BG, your doing a great job. All the math and he hasnt messed up my score yet.
    No, I didn't pay any money to play, but neither did you. Saddo gets more money from advertisers if he has more traffic. The contest is designed to bring in more posters. So essentially, we are paying Saddo by playing this game! In return he gives us the site to play on. Irregardless, you're argument makes no sense. Why would you want to have rules that don't make any logical sense when some posters are only 1 point behind others and thus, the one point rule I'm complaining about could make all the difference in whether or not me or any other poster wins a prize. This means the contest is slanted, making it unintentionally corrupt.

BG works hard for us to even have this competition for no pay, but we need to get it right or there's absolutely no point in having prizes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla
    The only changes I'd like to see are an increase in fights from the UK to be used in the competition. The British domestic scene is barely covered and as this is a largely British website I'd like to see that addressed. Bilbo

I have a homework assinement for you. Go back to the first week and count how many UK fights I have in the contest compared to how many were available on boxrec.com

I think I've done well for the most part. I looked over the Johansson/Gomez fight because Gomez was coming off two KO losses and two 6 round bouts to fight a man that would surley kick his arse.

BTW I get worked on those european fights. Thank god for boxrec so I could get some info on some of these guys....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The rules are fine and you're doing a great job BG.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am fine with the rules. No problem with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jesus Bilbo,most of the fights are freaking European,half the time us domestic guys are guessing on them

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

These rules work great and dont need changing, certainly not in the middle of a season (you've got me sounding all American BG )...

The change of opponent rule is miniscule and simple to fix. It's only one point so just scrap the entire fight and nobody misses out.

And CC BG. Don't let the whining maggots get to ya.

3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    These rules work great and dont need changing, certainly not in the middle of a season (you've got me sounding all American BG )...

The change of opponent rule is miniscule and simple to fix. It's only one point so just scrap the entire fight and nobody misses out.

And CC BG. Don't let the whining maggots get to ya.

Honest to christ,what was it,last week I had all the winners right,but I bet hard and lost.
    I just Pm'ed him,no need for a stink
    Trust me Id love to catch Welsh,and No COntest,but the rules are the rules,and they were the rules when we signed on,and fine job by BG for sorting through it every week

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingGorilla

I think I've done well for the most part. I looked over the Johansson/Gomez fight because Gomez was coming off two KO losses and two 6 round bouts to fight a man that would surley kick his a***.

Don't get me wrong BG I think you are doing a great job, although you are wrong about the Johansson Gomez fight. The bookies here couldn't split them and had it a dead even fight at 5/6 each, and on paper it was the most evenly split fight of the entire weekend, as well as by far the best!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Monkey
    Jesus Bilbo,most of the fights are freaking European,half the time us domestic guys are guessing on them
    This is a British site monkey I'm a domestic you're a damn foreigner

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

so let me get this right... the main problem i can see is that people cant be bothered to read the rules before playing rather than the rules themselfs.

no more needs saying on that AS EVERYONE HAS THE SAME CHANCE...

Bilbo... to BG's defence the Gomez fight was not important to him and he cant be expected to know the popularity of every single boxer in there hometowns worldwide.

if you want him to add any upcoming fights try PM'in him before he creats his sunday list and he can take a look at it... aftawards is too late.... but he will always have the final say if it is added or not as this is his baby.

Illuminated this site would be busy with or without the prediction contest it is here as a FREE service and not a money making masterplan on my part.

So BG as above this is your baby and if you feel anything needs tweeking, tweek it.... but i wouldn't bother if it is only because people are to lazy to read the rules before playing.

but if you think its wrong change it... you do all the work on this and have the final say on whatever happens

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey Saddo I agree with you completely.

But people asking for small changes isn't moaning. Everybody is grateful for all the work Boxing Gorilla does, it's just some people would like a couple of minor changes whilst others are happy with the ways things are.

Everybody's opinions should be valued as the contest is only as good as the people participating in it.

I know you didn't day this but saying you play for free so if you don't like it don't play isn't helpful or warranted.

Everything in life changes and develop and as this contest (hopefully) grows more and more the participants may decide that some changes will make things run even better.

It's not an ungrateful attitude or a slate at Boxing Gorilla or anyone else.

If nobody ever wanted anything to change we'd still all be living in huts made of straw and animal dung after all.

Thread Information