Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Computer Problem

My computer is really been very slow and it comes at a time when someone phoned me from a call centre from India saying that microsoft have been receiving complaints that my computer is slow. They wanted to sell an IT service which I do not want. I think they have done it.

I have deleted the cookies but the computer is painfully slow. It also automatically goes on a cookery link. I need help. I may just re-boot the computer with the original disk if all else fails. Anyone else have a similar experience?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Computer Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    My computer is really been very slow and it comes at a time when someone phoned me from a call centre from India saying that microsoft have been receiving complaints that my computer is slow. They wanted to sell an IT service which I do not want. I think they have done it.

I have deleted the cookies but the computer is painfully slow. It also automatically goes on a cookery link. I need help. I may just re-boot the computer with the original disk if all else fails. Anyone else have a similar experience?
    sounds like you have been hit by this scam...

If You Receive A Phone Call About Your Computer Running Slow – Hang Up « « Entrepreneur Entrepreneur

Those 'PC virus' phone call scams: the unanswered questions | Technology | guardian.co.uk

I hope you did not give them your credit card information.

my advice would be to reinstall windows. that is the best way to get your computer back to new speed... mine is well over due a reinstall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have a virus. Do a full scan with Antivirus (try with free Microsoft Security Essentialls) or reformat and reinstall Windows.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is what I intend to do, reinstall it again. Tossers got nothing else better to do.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Same thing mate a few weeks ago. They act like they are from Microsoft. They take control of your computer as you talk to them.
    Its a professional scam to get you to buy their security and defrag products.
    I got her so mad on the phone I was deleting the pages they were trying to get into while still talking to the bitch.
    Was the hardest sell I have ever heard, really hard to get out of.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That is what I intend to do, reinstall it again. Tossers got nothing else better to do.
    They want a lot of cash for their product mate.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thought as much, thanks Andre.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sorry I would of put a warning up here but thought they were locals she said she was from sydney office I even got her return number somewhere an 1800 one cause I said I didnt want to be rushed into anything and that I'd ring her back.

She rang me back the next day and I told her a few things.

She was saying stuff like "Oh so you dont mind if your computer just stops running?
    stuff like that real pressure sales.

I recon next time Im going to say I have a mate who comp is running slow ring him and give her the local police number.

Ive dont that once to those African scammers ,said ring me at work tomorrow and ask for ..such and such (a local detective) gave them the local police number here.

I can explain it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here's what I would do:

Make sure your disk drive is not failing, even if it is new: a basic chkdsk cmd should do (It not unusual to have a few back blocks) or you use something like seatools.

Load MicroSoft Security Essentials (It's Free) and scan your computer for viruses.
    Load SpyBot Search and Destroy (by Donation - Free) to clean out the adware and the like.

There are two tools I use to make sure nothing is loading that I don't want loading on my computer.

Autoruns and ProcessXP. (Both Free)

For keeping your computer clean from trash and unneeded cache, tmp files and the like, I use CCleaner. (by Donation - Free)

If you computer is still being hijacked after the above, then google hijackthis and get some help from the forums. Else make sure your hard-drive is not failing.

A bit of prudence: Hard drives are so cheap that you can just keep a complete image of your system on another hard drive. Hard drive Manufactures have free cloning utilities for upgrading your hard drive and that make imaging very easy.

HTH

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by fan johnny View Post
    Here's what I would do:

Make sure your disk drive is not failing, even if it is new: a basic chkdsk cmd should do (It not unusual to have a few back blocks) or you use something like seatools.

Load MicroSoft Security Essentials (It's Free) and scan your computer for viruses.
    Load SpyBot Search and Destroy (by Donation - Free) to clean out the adware and the like.

There are two tools I use to make sure nothing is loading that I don't want loading on my computer.

Autoruns and ProcessXP. (Both Free)

For keeping your computer clean from trash and unneeded cache, tmp files and the like, I use CCleaner. (by Donation - Free)

If you computer is still being hijacked after the above, then google hijackthis and get some help from the forums. Else make sure your hard-drive is not failing.

A bit of prudence: Hard drives are so cheap that you can just keep a complete image of your system on another hard drive. Hard drive Manufactures have free cloning utilities for upgrading your hard drive and that make imaging very easy.

HTH
    Tried cloning a sheep once.

Not pretty.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fan Johnny thanks downloaded the Microsoft security essentials and it took out 2 Trojans and the computer seems to be OK now.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Fan Johnny thanks downloaded the Microsoft security essentials and it took out 2 Trojans and the computer seems to be OK now.
    If you have not used spybot or other adware removal tools before, I wouldn't ignore the spybot link just because the virus protection picked up trojans. Adware often doesn't show up as a virus and can slow down your computer significantly as well. There is are lot of viruses using adware to plant backdoor trojans and rootkits. If you have a older computer you can uninstall spybot after you let it scan your computer. It can take out a lot of ads planted in your registry.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Trojans keep coming back and having to be deleted. Absolutely pain in the ass. I then get these telephone calls about a service to speed up my computer!

Will try recovery disk.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Trojans keep coming back and having to be deleted. Absolutely pain in the ass. I then get these telephone calls about a service to speed up my computer!

Will try recovery disk.
    yeah mate sometimes you can find the trojans but not the file making them... I have just about finished backing up my files and reinstalling windows this second as my laptop gave up the ghost yesterday.

fast as fuck now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If anyone phones you about your computer it is a SCAM.

If you gave them any details or access to your computer you may need to re-boot the entire computer.

However you still keep your old files under windows.old

Thread Information