Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone always talks about Lloyd Honeyghan vs Donald Curry....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Everyone always talks about Lloyd Honeyghan vs Donald Curry....

But what about Marlon Starling vs Lloyd Honeyghan that was one of the best boxing masterclasses i've ever seen and arguably better than Lloyd Honeyghan vs Donald Curry i think Marlon Starling was inconsistent but he was a hell of a fighter when he was on form he had a great defense and excellent countering abilities.
    Last edited by ssss; 08-25-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Everyone always talks about Lloyd Honeyghan vs Donald Curry....

i never seen that fight. i will look it up

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good point Ice,whoops,sorry I keep getting ya mixed up with someone else ..... Anyway,Starling was indeed a pretty tight mechanic in the ring,good maneuverability and countering.He was coming in off of that fluckish crazy one punch loos to Molinares.......only problem was Molinares landed it about 3:02 in the 6th and rebounding well psychologically,really putting it on Honeyghan throughout.Really,That 8o's era of Welters was something else,solid talent.

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Styles make fights , plain and simple. Marlon was all wrong for the free swinging Honeyghan , also by this time Lloyd's hands were pretty shot.
    Americans are always the first to point out Curry's weight problems , well in the Starling fight Lloyd's hands were in a bad way , which didnt help his cause. But even in his prime Lloyd would have struggled with Marlon , who had one of the tightest defences , and a good chin.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ssss View Post
    But what about Marlon Starling vs Lloyd Honeyghan that was one of the best boxing masterclasses i've ever seen and arguably better than Lloyd Honeyghan vs Donald Curry i think Marlon Starling was inconsistent but he was a hell of a fighter when he was on form he had a great defense and excellent countering abilities.

Honeyghan was a shot drunk by then.

The Llyod that beat Curry would destroy Starling.

Just as Lewis never really beat Tyson or Holmes really beat Ali or Barerra really beat Hamed. They like Honeyghan either went ott a ruined themselves or they were shot for other reasons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Markusdarkus View Post

Just as Lewis never really beat Tyson or Holmes really beat Ali or Barerra really beat Hamed. They like Honeyghan either went ott a ruined themselves or they were shot for other reasons.

come on dude Barrera really beat Hamed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post

come on dude Barrera really beat Hamed!

I would like the Hamed of 97-98 turn up he was a shadow when Barerra got him.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Completely agree!!

I've said many times before, Honeyghan was shot to bits after the first Vaca fight (don't know why) he just 'wasn't there' anymore after that fight. Honeyghan could've been one of our greatest ever fighters and at his best imo would've beaten Starlon & Breland

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post

Completely agree!!

I've said many times before, Honeyghan was shot to bits after the first Vaca fight (don't know why) he just 'wasn't there' anymore after that fight. Honeyghan could've been one of our greatest ever fighters and at his best imo would've beaten Starlon & Breland

The partying took its toll. I see a documentry on Honeyghan and it said he was drinking very heavily after the Curry win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your other two examples were ok but your other example was ridiculous the only reason Naseem Hamed looked good in 97-98 was because of his opposition..........

Lloyd Honeyghan may have been past his prime but Marlon Starling done a masterpiece on Lloyd Honeyghan and i think Marlon Starling was bad style match up for him and would have beat Lloyd Honeyghan at anytime in his career........

Marlon Starling gets underrated because he was often lazy and inconsistent but prime for prime he would have beat Lloyd Honeyghan again i have no doubt in my mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Your other two examples were ok but your other example was ridiculous the only reason Naseem Hamed looked good in 97-98 was because of his opposition..........

Lloyd Honeyghan may have been past his prime but Marlon Starling done a masterpiece on Lloyd Honeyghan and i think Marlon Starling was bad style match up for him and would have beat Lloyd Honeyghan at anytime in his career........

Marlon Starling gets underrated because he was often lazy and inconsistent but prime for prime he would have beat Lloyd Honeyghan again i have no doubt in my mind.

Starling's 11th round KO of Mark Breland in the first fight was another example of his ring craft ... Breland was another with an amateur record right up there next big thing since sliced bread blah blah.Starling destroyed him and he wasn't really the same after that fight even though Breland won the title back and still managed to destroy Honeyghan a few years later knocking Honey over twice with jabs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoyed these four Honeyghan , Curry , Starling and Breland as much as the other fab four that were around at the time it's just they were around at the wrong time or they would've been just as big.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donald Curry at his best beat Marlon twice and I believe he would have beat Lloyd too.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loved that fight. Marlon took Lloyd to school and made him look like he got his wisdom teeth pulled. He blocked just about everything that Honeyghan threw and countered him silly.

Beautiful performance.
    R.I.P. Julius "Sho Nuff" Carry III

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardW12Hagler View Post

Starling's 11th round KO of Mark Breland in the first fight was another example of his ring craft ... Breland was another with an amateur record right up there next big thing since sliced bread blah blah.Starling destroyed him and he wasn't really the same after that fight even though Breland won the title back and still managed to destroy Honeyghan a few years later knocking Honey over twice with jabs
    Mark Breland was good but a bit predictable but he had a solid jab and i've heard Marlon Starling comment on how good Mark Brelands jab was.........

He did get very overrated but thats understandable considering he was superb in the Olympics so i guess it was hard not to overrate him at that time i didn't actually see Mark Breland vs Marlon Starling 2 but i heard Mark Breland got a gift decision in that one.......

But overall he was a good fighter with a solid jab and good right hand and he had some very good physical tools i find it quite weird he didn't do as good as he should have because looking at him without hindsight with his physical attributes and solid jab you would think he was the next P4P king.

Thread Information