Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Taylor has nothing to be ashamed of

I liked the fight. I honestly thought Taylor was going to outbox Kelly. Kelly was steady in his attack basically out worked Taylor. However, Taylor was strong in there, I think he was the harder puncher. He had courage but for some reason did not punch enough. Had he used his jab he would have done enough to win IMO.

On another note, does Pavlik seem, if challenged by a puncher with a more diverse attack, as if he would not be able to adjust. He seems to have only one mode of attack and if that does not work then what does he do?

all in all a very good fight.
    ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Taylor has nothing to be ashamed of

Good post Mad Dog.
    I've said I felt Taylor had the perfect plan, he boxed well and negated Kelly's aggression. He din't however, capitalise with aggression of his own and aggression is needed to a certain extent. I was gutted at the decision, not that I thought it was wrong, but just Jermaine put a lot into that fight and I felt very sorry for him.

I felt that he hesitatedbecause he was still aware of Pavlik's power, but in boxing the way he did he made Kelly lunge and kept him off balance.

Good fight that I liked a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree, as I was watching the fight I found myself constantly saying that these two men were landing some major punching in there. Their jabs were the strongest I have seen within the last two years. It appeared that Taylor kept his power throughout the fight but either Kelly's constant pressure tired him or he was, as you said intimidated. I wonder though if Kelly can adjust his attack if someone poses a diverse attack? What will he do if he is the one being pressured? What will he do if he is the one being chased? Jabbed?

I did feel bad for Jermaine, coming into the fight I told my bro, that these two were good guys and I would feel bad for whoever loses.
    ORIGINAL MEMBER OF THE DREADED AND MUCH FEARED CIRCLE OF TRUST (CoT)Hidden Content
    Inventor of Who Are You

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I felt that when Pavlik was posed with a new proposition (a defensively sound Taylor) he really failed to adjust, he merely turned up the tempo and continued with his plan. This resulted in him being off balance on a number of occassions because he was lunging with his punches as I've already stated.

This begs the question, what would kelly do with a real slick fighter?

I also think you're dead right on the power issue. Both guys chins seemed very good and both guys looked very strong even for Super middle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When did he say he was ashamed of his performance?

He did everything right apart from throw more, he had lots of chances to counter but was probably just not willing to risk another KO. Can't blame him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

taylor did great to come back after the first defeat and put on a good showing. good luck to him at 168.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dog View Post
    I liked the fight. I honestly thought Taylor was going to outbox Kelly. Kelly was steady in his attack basically out worked Taylor. However, Taylor was strong in there, I think he was the harder puncher. He had courage but for some reason did not punch enough. Had he used his jab he would have done enough to win IMO.

On another note, does Pavlik seem, if challenged by a puncher with a more diverse attack, as if he would not be able to adjust. He seems to have only one mode of attack and if that does not work then what does he do?

all in all a very good fight.
    Taylor did use his jab plenty there was nothing wrong with his jab in the 1st fight or the 2nd fight, its just Pavlik has a longer reach so he is able to outjab Taylor plus his jab is more powerful than Taylor's. And as for Pavlik against a puncher, i think you need too look back at some of his fights he has fought plenty of big punchers and always has come through with flying colors, I have seen Pavlik switch up his attack plenty of times early in his career, its just he hasn't been forced to switch up in his last few fights, so if what your doing is working why switch up ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I finally watched this fight on Monday night.All I can say is if Jermain kept his jab even busier.I think would be looking at Jermain the champ.All and All for me it was the body shot in the 11th the spelled the end for Jermain.He didn't wanna get hit again after that and ultimately lost him the fight in the 11th and 12th rounds, in my eyes but still a very good showing.I would like to see him fight Mikkel Kessler.That would be very entertaining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I still feel good movement is the key to beaing Kelly, I think that Hopkins at middleweight or fighting Calzaghe would give him a lot of trouble because those two move too quickly for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well , Taylor is a good boxer , i dont think that he have to be ashamed of nothing, he did everything that he could , so have to recognize that fought and lose with a good boxer, if go now to 168 pnd. is better for him to corrects all his defects and develops new skills......

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed Taylor has nothing to be a shamed of, and Pavlik is beatable. Could Winky do it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't think Winky nor B-Hop could beat Pavlik.Yes they are probably the best defenders in the sport, but Kelly has something called power and when Winky tries to block and B-hop tries to slip.Kelly will just punch right through them.Both Winky and B-Hop can not be cute with Kelly if they were to fight.They'd have to hit him frequently which either do,and back him up with power in which let's face either fighter again does not have.A guy like Calzaghe is the best bet to beat him.A naturally bigger guy who throw's S**T loads of punches and is constantly on the move.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth View Post
    I still feel good movement is the key to beaing Kelly, I think that Hopkins at middleweight or fighting Calzaghe would give him a lot of trouble because those two move too quickly for him.
    Pavlik/Calzaghe would be a superb fight. Not sure which I would be cheering for though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Fightfan View Post
    I don't think Winky nor B-Hop could beat Pavlik.Yes they are probably the best defenders in the sport, but Kelly has something called power and when Winky tries to block and B-hop tries to slip.Kelly will just punch right through them.Both Winky and B-Hop can not be cute with Kelly if they were to fight.They'd have to hit him frequently which either do,and back him up with power in which let's face either fighter again does not have.A guy like Calzaghe is the best bet to beat him.A naturally bigger guy who throw's S**T loads of punches and is constantly on the move.
    I think kelly would wear Winky down and stop him. I can see him out pointing B-hop but he would never stop him. B-hop knows all the tricks and does not hesitate to use them.

Pavlik can be beat, but it would not be an easy task for anyone. He has a great Jab and knows his punching range well. Those attributes alone, no matter how slow or sloppy he can look at times, are a hard combo to beat. Adding his good punching power, punch output, straight delivery of punches into the mix and you have a big task that maybe only a Super Fast fighter Such as RJJ or Calzaghe could handle.

He will have no issues getting fights as he looks so beatable. Once in the ring with him I think his opponents realize they got more than they bargained for and they have a very hard time dealing with his physical advantages and skill.
    Last edited by Deanrw; 02-21-2008 at 08:25 PM.

Thread Information