Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Has the Prizefighter run it's course?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Has the Prizefighter run it's course?

For me last night was terrible viewing, I think the format has run it's course well maybe not run it's course but they seem to be nearly putting this on monthly now, there just isn't enough good fighters out there to do that. Three or four a year is plenty but Barry Hearn seems to be milking it a bit now.

I am actually thinking about applying to the next Light Middleweight one, my qualifications a couple of car park scraps and am game as fuck.

Last night was horrible just a bunch of tough cunts who had none/very little boxing skill what so ever.

What do you guys think? Also the next one is at Super Bantam and guess who is in it Wayne Mccullough, which I think is not a good idea this guy is a warrior but he is finished, shame an ex world champ has to enter an event against bouncers and firemen to make a bit of money.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Has the Prizefighter run it's course?

You know last night I was thinking how low calibre the fighters were compared to the other Prizefighters that have been on recently. The only real selling point was that Herbie Hide was in it. Must admit though I was impressed with Dickinson, it's the first time i've seen him and he looked half decent. Don't think he would have stood a chance vs Hide though, be it an old past his best version.

That said you'll struggle to get any up and coming young fighter who is undefeated to compete as the format makes it hard look good in such a short space of time. If I was an undefeated fighter on the rise I wouldn't go into it knowing that if I lost the first round I may have to get desperate just to keep my 0.

It would be better if there was only 4 fighters but the fights were 6 rounders instead. You'd probably get better names competing then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The highlight for me yesterday was Zahid Kahut. I, honestly, couldn't stop laughing at him and had to call my missus into the room to see how bad she was. Even she said how shit he was and she knows bugger all about boxing. It was one of the funniest things I have seen in a long, long time - especially seeing how he predicted he would win it at the start (obviously).

Priceless.
    Hidden Content

www.twitter.com/BoxingBantz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For me personally I couldn't care less if they stopped broadcasting it. I do watch it don't get me wrong, but the quality seems to be lacking. The commentaters try to polish it up a bit. But it will carry on as long as it is selling and sky r getting respectable viewing figures. From the fighters prospective it's a nice way to pick up a bit of cash so fair play to them. I don't think where ever going to see any great prospects coming thru the show tho. But what do I no, I'm just a crazy old fool

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It summed it up for me when Hide decided to pull out , the camera's went into the dressing room , to interview Barry Hearn and he said " well its a toss of a coin which of these great fighters take Hides place "

LOL "GREAT FIGHTERS " LOL
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by koppas View Post
    The highlight for me yesterday was Zahid Kahut. I, honestly, couldn't stop laughing at him and had to call my missus into the room to see how bad she was. Even she said how shit he was and she knows bugger all about boxing. It was one of the funniest things I have seen in a long, long time - especially seeing how he predicted he would win it at the start (obviously).

Priceless.
    Was that the big tall guy who looked petrified of his own shadow, was a solicitor, had no balance at all and pulled those stupid faces before getting lamped on it!

That one?

I was in stitches, can't believe he didn't get knocked out.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think they might get better fighters if they stopped the fights actually counting towards their pro records. Not fair to have a loss on your record for losing a three round fight!

Then they would get top boxers enter simply for the challenge ad the fun of it.

The quality last night was poor, no one had much finesse, no one could really bang and they were all too durable to get sparked out (apart from the guy who folded in the semi to the winner suprisngly)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Below average/average fighters scrapping in a really small ring in 3 round fights. It's supposed to promote a slugfest, but it often turns scrappy as neither fighter can get into any rythmn and neither fighter seems capable of settings things up.

I reckon the super 6 have it about right. No reason Sky can't do something similar with domestic fighters. Just match them well and have the fights over a period of 1 year. Job done.
    http://instagram.com/jonnyboy_85_/

Thread Information