Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One thing in Boxing that makes me laugh...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default One thing in Boxing that makes me laugh...

The way after a fighter beats his opponent the oppenent suddenly becomes shot. Like before a fight, nobody was saying he was shot and some were picking him to even beat the fighter. Yet when the fighter destroys the opponent, they're all of a sudden shot. LOL. Seriousley, it baffles me.

Mayweather-Gatti and Hatton-Castillo are a couple of examples.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: One thing in Boxing that makes me laugh...

Quote Originally Posted by leftylee View Post
    The way after a fighter beats his opponent the oppenent suddenly becomes shot. Like before a fight, nobody was saying he was shot and some were picking him to even beat the fighter. Yet when the fighter destroys the opponent, they're all of a sudden shot. LOL. Seriousley, it baffles me.

Gatti was "shot" long before Floyd got to him. He had very little left in the Ward trilogy and that pretty much emptied his tank as far as true championship caliber goes. His name kept landing him fights, but his best days were far behind him.
    Last edited by Deanrw; 11-04-2008 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sometimes a fighter can become shot in an instant. That is the nature of boxing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess we can add Kelly Pavlik to the list as well.Seeing how Hopkins made Pavlik a shot fighter after that loss.

P.S. I just wanted to say goodbye to my sweet avatar and sig. GOODBYE

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Totally agree mate. Of course if the beaten fighter is young and people can't use that excuse they say he was a rookie and untested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw View Post

Gatti was "shot" long before Floyd got to him. He had very little left in the Ward trilogy and that pretty much emptied his tank as far as true championship caliber goes. His name kept landing him fights, but his best days were far behind him.

But Gatti was coming off a great win streak prior to Floyd. And many were picking him to win.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lance Uppercut View Post
    Sometimes a fighter can become shot in an instant. That is the nature of boxing.
    Agreed, but this would normally happen when a fighter has had a series of gruelling fights an a really tough career. Using Tzsyu as an example, he had hardly been in any tough fights and had looked sensational a few months before fighting Hatton in afight where he hardly got hit and the critics said he lookd at his peak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

But Gatti was coming off a great win streak prior to Floyd. And many were picking him to win.
    Well the ones that picked him I bet did not put money on him. I mean he was still game and was still an offensive power house, but he was certainly on the decline. Even if he was in his prime, he was tailor made for Floyd. I know I wanted him to beat Floyd and everyone else he fought, but he was still very vulnerable. I knew Floyd was going to eat him alive, even though my heart did not want to believe it.

He does deserve an entry into the Fall of Fame in my book though. Most exciting fighter of his generation by far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gatti WAS shot when Floyd got to him, a punishing De la Hoya fight followed by the Ward fights made sure of that. A prime Gatti facing Floyd would still lose anyway so I'm not taking nothing from Mayweather.

Castillo was fighting a good fight untill that left hook landed but I can't see how him being in his prime would dismiss the effects of a shot like that. I took a shot like that and I thought I had serious internal damage, never known pain like it.

I actually think the Tszyu fight had a huge effect on Ricky Hatton, he has never been the same since, his punch resistance is much worse. Maussa hurt him, Collazo hurt him, Urango hurt him, Mayweather certainly hurt him and so did Lazcano but he is still very capable i.e. not shot, just on the slide, after the Malignaggi fight he will be shot however.

I think sometimes you never know if a fighter is shot until they fight a top level guy, which might explain why no one claims they are shot before hand.

XaduBoxer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lance Uppercut View Post
    Become shot overnight... That's what will happen on Dec. 6 ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kel View Post
    Ricky Hatton...after the Malignaggi fight he will be shot however.
    What? How's Malignaggi gonna ruin anybody decent?

ICB Guest

Actually Arturo Gatti wasn't considered shot, he was considered better than ever with his new boxing skills. With solid wins over 32-0 Gianluca Branco, Jesse James Leija, Leonard Dorin. Thats why alot of people on this forum thought Arturo Gatti would win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

Actually Arturo Gatti wasn't considered shot, he was considered better than ever with his new boxing skills. With solid wins over 32-0 Gianluca Branco, Jesse James Leija, Leonard Dorin. Thats why alot of people on this forum thought Arturo Gatti would win.
    I dont know anyone who thought Gatti would win.
    In fact, during the time, FLoyd was the fight that everyone kept telling gatti NOT to take. But gatti decided to take it anyway saying he had to prove a point. That he knows how tough a fight this is and he knows it's a fight he isn't supposed to win, but he doesn't want to duck.

How anyone thought Gatti would win this fight is pretty dumb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by intoccabile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post

I dont know anyone who thought Gatti would win.
    In fact, during the time, FLoyd was the fight that everyone kept telling gatti NOT to take. But gatti decided to take it anyway saying he had to prove a point. That he knows how tough a fight this is and he knows it's a fight he isn't supposed to win, but he doesn't want to duck.

How anyone thought Gatti would win this fight is pretty dumb.
    Look back a lot of the guys on here thought Gatti would win, it was ridiculous, Roy JOnes told them so, and I was saying that Floyd would destroy Gatti all along. I think Gatti would have been destroyed by Mayweather even in his prime even if Mayweather weighed in at 130.

I don't think being shot is a permanent thing. I think you can eventually recover if you can adapt. Holyfield is considered shot because he isn't what he once was, but he could probably still beat 95% of the proffesional heavyweights.

Being shot is in comparison to your prime. I think prime Castillo would have beaten Hatton, he's just as good of an in fighter if not better, he hits harder, and could take a shot better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What makes me laugh is that Hopkins beats a guy who is considered better than he is, and people think Hopkins is in the prime of his career at 43 because he didn't get the fights that he should have when he was younger(largely his own fault).

Thread Information