Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I just rented a tyson dvd

Aparently its a fairly new dvd from what i understand. Its two discs, it has tyson early fights and early title fights including the 12 count debacle. It has commentary from brian kenny teddy atlas bert sugar (i think thats his name) larry holmes and a few other people. Its almost 5 hours long. I'm almost done watch the first disc im probably gonna watch the second disc tomorrow and when buster goes down im gonna count out loud and after i hit 10 im gonna freak out and probably throw something at my tv.

But in all seriousness its a dvd worth checking out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I just rented a tyson dvd

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher136
    Aparently its a fairly new dvd from what i understand. Its two discs, it has tyson early fights and early title fights including the 12 count debacle. It has commentary from brian kenny teddy atlas bert sugar (i think thats his name) larry holmes and a few other people. Its almost 5 hours long. I'm almost done watch the first disc im probably gonna watch the second disc tomorrow and when buster goes down im gonna count out loud and after i hit 10 im gonna freak out and probably throw something at my tv.

maybe they count slower in Japan or face the death penalty or something lol

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is this the Ringside ESPN show?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah its an ESPN Ringside Classics dvd. I've got it too it's pretty neat, especially the 40 mins or so of archive Tyson interviews at the end.

If you're interested ESPN are running a weekly series of ESPN Classics now with different fighter each week. They've already covered Joe Louis, Pernell Whittaker and George Foreman, not sure who else is upcoming although I've got a feeling it may be Marciano.

It's a great show and worth checking out or downloading.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

Yeah its an ESPN Ringside Classics dvd. I've got it too it's pretty neat, especially the 40 mins or so of archive Tyson interviews at the end.

If you're interested ESPN are running a weekly series of ESPN Classics now with different fighter each week. They've already covered Joe Louis, Pernell Whittaker and George Foreman, not sure who else is upcoming although I've got a feeling it may be Marciano.

It's a great show and worth checking out or downloading.
    And Ali has been covered too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think they did count too slow when buster went down, career turning mistake it sucks when things like that happens.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen the DVD in Wal-Mart a few times. Honestly I've already seen all of the fights on it, at least twice each, because whenever ESPN classic airs Tyson fights, I'm all over it. So there's no real incentive for me to buy it, but if you haven't seen all the fights on ESPN, I guess you might want to check it out. Funny story about this DVD though

I was in Wal -Mart a couple months ago looking at Xbox 360 games, and these two white kids, dressed like little thugs, were talking to one of the Wal-Mart employees about the Tyson DVD, since at the time they were sold out. You know what those little shats wanted to know? If the fight were Tyson "bit that dude's ear off" was on the discs. The Wal-Mart employee said, that yeah he thought the Holyfield fight was on the disc, even though it wasn't. And the kids said they'd be back when the store got more copies in. I just shook my head and laughed.

Fuckin people. The only thing they know about Tyson is that he hit real hard, and "bit some dude's ear off", its a shame. Tyson is no saint, far from it, but in his prime he was a hell of a lot more than just some thug who bit a guy's ear off.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain
    i think they did count too slow when buster went down, career turning mistake it sucks when things like that happens.
    yeah it was a slow count but thats no excuse for tyson. he should have trained for the fight and not been such a dickhead and then he would have knocked out buster like he should have done in the first place.

and i baught a 3 disc tyson dvd box set thing and its quality. about 33 tyson blast outs and training footage and interviews and behind the scenes stuff and everything. love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain
    I think the count was a bit long but how career turning it was I'm not sure. The signs were there in that fight, Douglas was all over Tyson. If Tyson had ko'd Douglas Holyfield was waiting & it's pretty obvious what would have happened in that fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

after analyzing disk one and the very beginning of disk 2 here what i conclude. Tysons first 19 fights were against 17 jobbers and maybe two legit prospects (at the time) by his 19th fight it could be seen that jab and grab strategies frustrated him and kept him off balance by his 19th fight there is a slightly noticeable decline in his mobility and will to string a bunch of punches together.

Then he fights a homeless mans ali (James "i'm kinda fast but not really" tillis") Then theres the trevor berbick fight. Berbick takes the fight to tyson and im telling you even at this point, i've noticed a difference in how he fights guys. Winning the belt tho gave him a new found edge but by the time the buster douglas fight came around he wasn't the same fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

say what you want about berbick, it is really amazing to see someones mind tell them to keep going when their body has called it a night. After reviewing the buster long count: 1. the referee picked up the count late 2. he counted slow. and 3. he automatically cleared buster while he was standing without checking gloves and all that. I say it is a 12 counted but no one can argue that it was less than a full 10 before hes completely standing upright.

Thread Information