Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever heard of Jorge Fernando Castro?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Anyone ever heard of Jorge Fernando Castro?

Look at this man's record:
    130 W 90KO 11L (2 by KO) 3D

The guy fought and defeated Reggie Johnson Twice, John David Jackson Twice, Derrick Harmon and an Ancient Duran who he also lost too, when he was only 30 and Duran was like 44 or somethin.
    Castro also went the distance with a very young Roy Jones Jr., barely lost to Terry Norris, and went the distance late in his career (02) with Vassily Jirov.
    I've never seen Castro fight, have any of you? I don't know what to make of him. What an ASTOUNDING record though. Simply Amazing...
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of Jorge Fernando Castro?

Yeah, he gave Roy Jones his tought fight at the time, and Roy has said it was his toughest fight even in more recent interviews. He is a tough fighter with a solid chin. I remember he got stopped a year or two ago and retired but came back and avenged the loss in his next fight. Not sure f hes still active though.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The most amazing thing about Castro was that he was in an accident that I believe actually left him comatose for awhile. But he recovered and still made a comeback. The mans a warrior

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Are you kidding me Hulk?

'La Locomotora' aka 'La Rona' is an Argentine legend.....

His 1st fight vs. Jackson (FOTY 1994) is my second favorite FOTY of all time.....
    I literally know what happens in the fight from begining to end and I alsmot know what Ferdie Pacheco says word for word....

Jorge is all heart and glory man.... Jorge was just 27 when he fought Jackson 1994 and his record was already 95-4-2 by then....
    Very similar career and age as Yory Boy they both fough often and had an incredible record early in their careers.

The Drews fight is another good fight VERY close fight going into the Championship rounds and Castro stops him in the last round.

The other night I mentioned to OumaFan that it was good to see he recovered well from a car accident he had a few years back which required surgery.....

I just went to YouTube and found the 1994 FOTY vs. John David Jackson I

STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU WATCH IT NOW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icZ_Ttfr7uc

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Never heard of him. I actually thought he was the new President of Cuba

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Are you kidding me Hulk?

His 1st fight vs. Jackson (FOTY 1994) is my second favorite FOTY of all time.....
    I literally know what happens in the fight from begining to end and I alsmot know what Ferdie Pacheco says word for word....

Jorge is all heart and glory man.... Jorge was just 27 when he fought Jackson 1994 and his record was already 95-4-2 by then....
    Very similar career and age as Yory Boy they both fough often and had an incredible record early in their careers.

The Drews fight is another good fight VERY close fight going into the Championship rounds and Castro stops him in the last round.

The other night I mentioned to OumaFan that it was good to see he recovered well from a car accident he had a few years back which required surgery.....

Thanks Mick CC. CC to the rest of you too, just give me a minute lol. I searched his name on Youtube right b4 you posted this and all I could find was his loss of the WBA MW belt to Shinji Takehara. I'll be sure to watch it, I'm interested in seein this guy fight. Appears to have been an animal.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dude had A tremendous chin.To be honest he had ALOT of local build up and some inflation on record.First time I had seen him was in the Norris fight in 91' and he was a bulldozer.It was not a close fight (Had it 118-110) but he walked through shots like he was insulted Norris could not hurt him.
    MIck nailed it with J.D JAckson fight.Freakish all time come from behind Tko,Took an absolute bashing but never allowed himself to believe he could be defeated.In the 9th (?) on the ropes he just caught Jackson with a brick from a dark alley and thats all she wrote.I had Johnson winning there first fight by 4 points but rematch he took Imo.Jackson bout was All time turnaround fight....ANY ERA!!! classic.
    He really fought Jirov close for cruiser belt,Goofy red hair and all.Close fight,I was shocked how well he switched up and "boxed" a little Even though record had some padding,He was a warrior with out a doubt.Sunday morning Univision used to show good number of his fights along with J.C Vasquez,I miss that national variety of boxers on "free" T.V.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli Surfs 'Nawlins
    Dude had A tremendous chin.To be honest he had ALOT of local build up and some inflation on record.First time I had seen him was in the Norris fight in 91' and he was a bulldozer.It was not a close fight (Had it 118-110) but he walked through shots like he was insulted Norris could not hurt him.
    MIck nailed it with J.D JAckson fight.Freakish all time come from behind Tko,Took an absolute bashing but never allowed himself to believe he could be defeated.In the 9th (?) on the ropes he just caught Jackson with a brick from a dark alley and thats all she wrote.I had Johnson winning there first fight by 4 points but rematch he took Imo.Jackson bout was All time turnaround fight....ANY ERA!!! classic.
    He really fought Jirov close for cruiser belt,Goofy red hair and all.Close fight,I was shocked how well he switched up and "boxed" a little Even though record had some padding,He was a warrior with out a doubt.Sunday morning Univision used to show good number of his fights along with J.C Vasquez,I miss that national variety of boxers on "free" T.V.
    Your right on the Norris fight and Jirov fight. Norris was landing at will against him. But Castro kept coming. And he surprised me in his effort against Jirov. He fought great and even stunned Jirov in I believe the 8th round. But Castro was in over his head against Juan Carlos Gomez. He took a bad beating in that fight. Gomez was to big. But he wouldn't quit.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli Surfs 'Nawlins
    Your right on the Norris fight and Jirov fight. Norris was landing at will against him. But Castro kept coming. And he surprised me in his effort against Jirov. He fought great and even stunned Jirov in I believe the 8th round. But Castro was in over his head against Juan Carlos Gomez. He took a bad beating in that fight. Gomez was to big. But he wouldn't quit.
    Dead on VD,Gomez on his way up on the scales as well there ,Had three name Ko's on a solid streak.Gomez had/has skill.Take away the chin and Castro had me thinking of Another all out comer,Engles Pedroza in the 90's.
    That effort in with Body assassin Jirov had me nervous but smiling.May have liked to slug in career but wise and intelligent enough to switch up over 12 when needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    Yeah, he gave Roy Jones his tought fight at the time, and Roy has said it was his toughest fight even in more recent interviews. He is a tough fighter with a solid chin. I remember he got stopped a year or two ago and retired but came back and avenged the loss in his next fight. Not sure f hes still active though.
    I seem to remember Roy broke Castros nose in round 2 or 3 but Castro still managed to go the full 10 rounds.
    Nothings Sweeter Than Sugar

Addicted to_boxing Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick
    Are you kidding me Hulk?

Hey you made me think about another Argentine legend Juan Domingo Roldán

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

id only seen his fight with rjj and this guy was a real tought warrior in that fight, kept coming forward the whole ten rounds, I think boxer Harvey was right that roy broke hs nose in the 2nd or 3rd also.

ICB Guest

What is surprising about Castro is that if you look at him he doesn't do anything great he is very limited. But he is good all rounder and he is tough as nails and he beat some very skilled fighters like Reggie Johnson even though i did think Castro did get gift decision's in those fights with Johnson. He also took one hell of a beating against Terry Norris and he kept coming and coming Castro had one of the best chins in the modern era of boxing. Even against Roy Jones Jr he gave him pretty tough fight and despite having his nose broken early in the fight he still lasted the distance against Jones.

And of course his 1st fight with John David Jackson is a classic in the 3rd or 4th round Castro took a beating in the corner for about 1 minute. Jackson must of landed over 50 flush punches then what does Castro do ?? in the final 20 seconds he wobbles Jackson and comes right back. Castro did comeback strong in middle rounds after losing all the early rounds. Then Jackson started to take over round about 7th round and Castro had horrible cuts and his eye was closed, going into the 9th round it seemed Castro was finished. Castro was taking a beating on the ropes, the ref was just about to stop the fight he even raised his hands signaling the fight stoppage but just as he was about to get in between the fighters to make it official Castro landed a massive left hook off the ropes and Jackson fell like a tree he got up but was still badly shaken and he was floored another 2 times and the ref stopped the fight, one of the most amazing comeback's in boxing history.

Castro also went 1-1 with Roberto Duran but lets not forget that Duran was very old at the time. Overall Castro was very limited but exciting fighter and his strong will, heart, chin, injuries, overcome skill and he become World champion quite an incredible boxer.

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember the Jackson fight and the British commentators were saying stop the fight! and then he pulls out that left hook. Amazing best ever one Punch turn around I have ever seen live.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was what I consider a great who was never recognized as such, didn't have the best fundamentals, if any, but he was tough as hell and got the job done. He was the first guy to go the distance with Roy even though that was a one sided affair.

Thread Information