Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default BHop is appealing for DQ victory

The game is afoot...

"Hopkins is seeking to have the result changed from a second-round knockout in Dawson's favor to a disqualification victory for him -- rather than a no contest as his team had originally suggested Saturday night."

"Dawson should be disqualified because that was no accident," Hopkins said. "I think it should be a DQ because it was intentional. He intended to hurt me, period. I'm asking for a disqualification because of the intent."

Bernard Hopkins gets MRI on shoulder, files appeal for DQ win - ESPN
    maineventboxing.wordpress.com - my mates boxing blog, check it out for fight articles and fight predictions

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: BHop is appealing for DQ victory

Not surprising. You can't really blame him.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins should stop while he's ahead, or at least while the majority of people are on his side for a no contest.

He's risking them not overturning it at all if he wants a freakin DQ.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Hopkins should stop while he's ahead, or at least while the majority of people are on his side for a no contest.

He's risking them not overturning it at all if he wants a freakin DQ.
    Nah I think hes made a good call. Now a no contest ruling becomes the compromise solution for both sides.

If Dawson's side bitch about it the commission will be able to say 'Look we didn't rule in Hopkins favour either...'.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with Bilbo, it's not a bad call and doesn't jeapordize the chances(or likelihood) that it will just be called a no contest imo. I'd be quite surprised if the result stands, although it wouldn't actually bother me.

Whatever result makes Hopkins more likely to retire and Dawson to move on with other fights is the best outcome for fans at this point. I don't for a second think Hopkins quit outright, but I feel Dawson was doing quite well and Hopkins would've taken any oppourtunity he could get to spoil and pull theatrics from then on had it continued. I don't want to see them fight again at all really.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

agreed - good move by Hopkins
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I agree with Bilbo, it's not a bad call and doesn't jeapordize the chances(or likelihood) that it will just be called a no contest imo. I'd be quite surprised if the result stands, although it wouldn't actually bother me.

Whatever result makes Hopkins more likely to retire and Dawson to move on with other fights is the best outcome for fans at this point. I don't for a second think Hopkins quit outright, but I feel Dawson was doing quite well and Hopkins would've taken any oppourtunity he could get to spoil and pull theatrics from then on had it continued. I don't want to see them fight again at all really.
    Why? Hopkins fights with Pascal were two of the most entertaining of his career. Dawson has no real challengers out there for him if Bernard isn't around. Rematch with Pascal, then what?

Hopkins vs Dawson is a fight that still needs to be made and I certainly still want to see it.

Anybody making assumption as to how the fight was going to go really is just blindly speculating. Hopkins lost all of the first 6 rounds to Jermain Taylor in their first match, he was about 5 points to Pascal early in their first fight, so any talk of Dawson being about to turn it is just plain guessing. Against Pascal, Dawson became confused and frustrated and seemed unable to let his hands go. Who knows what would have happened in the Hopkins fight?

Only one way to find out. Make it a no decision, and make a mandatory rematch.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post

Why? Hopkins fights with Pascal were two of the most entertaining of his career. Dawson has no real challengers out there for him if Bernard isn't around. Rematch with Pascal, then what?

Hopkins vs Dawson is a fight that still needs to be made and I certainly still want to see it.

Anybody making assumption as to how the fight was going to go really is just blindly speculating. Hopkins lost all of the first 6 rounds to Jermain Taylor in their first match, he was about 5 points to Pascal early in their first fight, so any talk of Dawson being about to turn it is just plain guessing. Against Pascal, Dawson became confused and frustrated and seemed unable to let his hands go. Who knows what would have happened in the Hopkins fight?

There's no chance of a rematch.

Not even Hopkins or Dawson want to ever fight each other again. No-one outside the hardcore cared about this fight in the first place. It sold shit. Even both promoters admitted there was no interest in the fight.

That's why Team Hopkins is now going for the DQ. They just want the belt back because it's a great barganing chip for the next fight.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Not even Hopkins or Dawson want to ever fight each other again. No-one outside the hardcore cared about this fight in the first place. It sold shit. Even both promoters admitted there was no interest in the fight.

That's why Team Hopkins is now going for the DQ. They just want the belt back because it's a great barganing chip for the next fight.
    Ignoring all the negativty that is being spouted about this fight right now I reckon there will be a rematch. There needs to be, for the good of boxing. You have the recognised champion, I'm guessing he's the lineal champ, certainly the ring champ, and a first ballot hall of famer, against unquestionably the best challenger, and former champion in Dawson himself.

These are the kinds of fights that need to happen, regardless of those who bitch and moan about Hopkins being dull, and Dawson not being able to sell out a phonebooth.

I think if the WBC rule a no contest, and tell Bernard he must defend against Dawson if he wants to keep his belt that we will see the fight again.

Hopkins won't want to finish his career like that and if it is ruled an NC then Dawson will have no choice but to fight B Hop again for his credibility.

Both sides are just trashing each other right now insisting the other isn't worth fighting but that will change if a no contests is ruled and the negative cries about the first fight have died down.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post

Ignoring all the negativty that is being spouted about this fight right now I reckon there will be a rematch. There needs to be, for the good of boxing. You have the recognised champion, I'm guessing he's the lineal champ, certainly the ring champ, and a first ballot hall of famer, against unquestionably the best challenger, and former champion in Dawson himself.

These are the kinds of fights that need to happen, regardless of those who bitch and moan about Hopkins being dull, and Dawson not being able to sell out a phonebooth.

I think if the WBC rule a no contest, and tell Bernard he must defend against Dawson if he wants to keep his belt that we will see the fight again.

Hopkins won't want to finish his career like that and if it is ruled an NC then Dawson will have no choice but to fight B Hop again for his credibility.

Both sides are just trashing each other right now insisting the other isn't worth fighting but that will change if a no contests is ruled and the negative cries about the first fight have died down.
    Nice sentiment Bilbo. Unfotunately this is boxing. The ONLY thing that matters is money. Neither make any with the other. They are both zero fan bores (outside the hardcore).

The promoters stacked the undercard to help sell the fight but it still did shit.

They've already said it's irrelevant whether the WBC order a rematch or not.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i understand where you are coming from bilbo, perhaps for the good of the light heavyweight scene the fight needs to happen

im not bothered tho, i wasnt bothered before the last one either

the card was packed with names which made it interesting

and its a phonebox not a phonebooth
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's the undisputed number 1 vs the undisputd number 2 in the division. It's the kind of fight that must happen for the good of the sport.

All this talk about them not being worth anything is overblown in my opinion.

If fans arent interested in either fighter then how do they both manage to get fights at all?

It may not make as much as the two fighters would like, but I highly doubt either could make more money fighting anybody else.

All you naysayers will be proved wrong next year when the rematch is made.

Just wait and see.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They've already made more fighting Pascal. That's why Dawson was calling him out. And Hopkins $1 million purse (subject to sales), will be the lowest he's accepted for donkey's years.

You don't fight the toughest guy for the shittest money. Tough guy = big money. Bum = shit money.

Nobodies paying to watch a rematch between two guys they didn't want to watch in the first place. Especially after they served up an even bigger farce than the borefest most were expecting.
    Last edited by Fenster; 10-19-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know. I can almost see him using a aim high settle for less scenario, nc or nd. As crap as I think the call was it's like trying to herd cats at this point. I couldn't really see a clear case for DQ ing suplex Chad. If your in the moment and you actually had a fair minded in the moment ref, rather than an almost pre determined ref running on group think, at the most point(s) (intentional or unintentional) deduct and send Hopkins to corner for five minutes as we've seen others do numerous times and he continues or he doesn't if able. In 2nd it would be NC.

He retains the belt whatever it's reversed to but cannot see him retiring, frankly nor should he. I think a rematch would float and both should make it happen for self if not for anyone else. Controversy sells, so does revenge. I'll be in minority but I'll watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hopkins and Dawson should be ordered to fight again with no extra money involved . Weather it was Hopkins fault or dawson fault they have conned the fans and should fight as soon as possible with the fans that bought tickets for this fight given free tickets for a rematch. This was a sad day in boxing. What a ripoff this fight was. Didn't see no action and these two fighters get paid millions for that very poor display.

Thread Information