Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Can someone help me...I have missed some things

Hi guys,

There has been a period of boxing that I missed as when Sky stopped showing it, I got lost and missed everything. I'm up to speed with most stuff, and have seen alot of the fights I missed but I just wanted to clarify a few things...

Did Trinidad ever fight Mosley? If not, why didn't it happen?

What is the point of interim titles? and why are the classed as 'world championships'?

Why was Joel Casamayor stripped of his WBC Lightweight belt?

Why couldn't Peter Oboh get a fight for 3 years?

How come so many people rate The Ring magazine titles so highly?

If anyone can clear these things up for me, I'd be grateful...cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Can someone help me...I have missed some things

All i can tell you is that trinidad didnt fight mosely..
    Due to the following..

choices for his comeback fight..At Middleweight of course
    De la Hoya - Knocked out by bernard hopkins
    Mosely - Lost twice to winky wright

So he signed to fight mayorga, Who just beat forrest twice and lost a controversial decision to spinks and had failed to make weight last fight..So they signed him to fight at middleweight..

And because de la hoya didnt fight for a while after the loss to hopkins and it was winky wright who beat mosely he then signed to fight winky wright
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's a real shame, because I think that fight should have happened. Real shame it didn't. Thanks for replying, I was beginning to think people thought I was taking the piss. If anyone knows any answers to the rest of my questions, please do tell me. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The ring belt is rates so highly due to the caliber of the people over time who have written for the magazine. Anyone who has ever recieved the magazine will view it as the "voice of the fan". I don't know many people that disagree... Look at the rankings of the 3 main governing bodies... They position guys the way they see fit and not nessesarily where they belong... Case and point I love Manfredo but did he belong at #6 by the WBC?... No.

The other point is that the view of the field is merky and hard to pick out who the true champ is when they are not unifying and the belts are fragmented... The Ring picks a champ... The people listen(and normally agree)

Joel Casamayor was stripped of his WBC Lightweight Title for discussing a fight between himself and WBO Lightweight belt holder Acelino Freias. David Diaz has now been named the WBC champ. Strict I know…

Casamayor and his promotional company released this statement

Santa Barbara Management strongly disagrees with the decision of the WBC to strip Joel Casamayor of his Lightweight Championship. Joel won his title the way a true champion should, in the ring. He has done nothing to justify this outrageous decision by the WBC and we are considering all of our options, legal or otherwise. Joel and everyone at Santa Barbara Management would like to thank all of the fans and others within the boxing community who have phoned and emailed us to show their support.
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by "PRIDE OF BOSTON"
    The ring belt is rates so highly due to the caliber of the people over time who have written for the magazine. Anyone who has ever recieved the magazine will view it as the "voice of the fan". I don't know many people that disagree... Look at the rankings of the 3 main governing bodies... They position guys the way they see fit and not nessesarily where they belong... Case and point I love Manfredo but did he belong at #6 by the WBC?... No.

The other point is that the view of the field is merky and hard to pick out who the true champ is when they are not unifying and the belts are fragmented... The Ring picks a champ... The people listen(and normally agree)
    I agree that the Ring belts are a positive influence in world boxing, because the ranking systems are an absolute disgrace in many ways. The prime example is Hatton being stripped of the belt for not fighting Lovemore N'dou instead of Castillo. It's ludicrous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interim Titiles

An interim championship is a temporary world championship that is awarded in all four major sanctioning bodies of professional boxing (WBA, WBC, IBF, and WBO) and in other combat sports, such as kickboxing and mixed martial arts.

Occasionally, the world champion of a particular weight division is temporarily unable to defend his championship because of medical, legal, or other reasons that are beyond the champion's control. When this case occurs, two highly ranked contenders will fight for the interim championship of the same weight division—leading to two champions existing in the same weight division simultaneously. Once the world champion is able to return, he must fight against the interim champion. The winner of this bout reunifies the weight division as sole world champion. If the world champion cannot return or moves to a different weight division, the interim champion becomes the world champion.

Sanctioning bodies, however, sometimes abuse the interim championship system. One example was in the WBC's flyweight division in 2005–2006. Pongsaklek Wonjongkam had defended his world title 11 consecutive times. Number-one contender Jorge Arce won an interim championship bout instead of receiving a title shot against Wonjongkam, who continued to defend his world title. Arce defended his interim championship four times before he vacated it in order to move up to super flyweight. Wonjongkam eventually set the flyweight division record for consecutive title defenses, without ever fighting against interim champion Arce

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interim_title
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn

This is the only one I have no idea about...

Hope I helped ya out a bit!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by "PRIDE OF BOSTON"
    Quote Originally Posted by bzkfn

This is the only one I have no idea about...

Hope I helped ya out a bit!
    Basically, Oboh had a reputation for being an awkward fighter, so it was difficult for him to get fights, but that problem was exacerbated when he lost his patience with Frank Maloney, so then signed a deal with Frank Warren. Warren also failed to get him any fights, and the BBBofC sympathised with his problems of not getting any fights and let him hang on to the title.

And then there was the farce a few weeks ago, which left Sky Sports with a headliner that lasted less than a round with David Haye, and no main support fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

See? Thats whats great about this forum... All questions answered!!!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

#435 Tito, #235 POB & #490 Superheavyrhun for helping me out there.

The Casamayor thing is utter bollocks.

Why the hell do sanctioning bodies crown interim champions when fighters are able to defend then? Freitas never defended against Katsidis, it's fucking bollocks. I understand why there has been more than one sactioning body, because no everyone agrees with the rating system...but for fucks sake.

If anyone has ever seen boxing monthly's rating system, they'd think that was stupid. I can point out a number of flaw's with that.

As for The Ring...while I understand it's had respectable people write for it...it's a magazine. I can't really recognise an unofficial champion as champion. The whole title system is a real farce right now, and needs to be sorted out. They should never have allowed it to happen in the first place. In the end though, it comes down to organisations being in someone's pocket i.e. WBC in Don King's, WBO in Frank Warren's.

Thread Information