Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Today in Trump

Info for my mate kirky........Last week brought a little (at least short-term) good news if you’re worried about the yield curve inverting.

The 10-year U.S. Treasury yield rose above 3% for the first time in four years. This will be the opposite of inversion, if it persists. It makes the curve steeper unless short-term rates rise even more.

In spite of that, the yield curve is still abnormally flat. The gap between 2-year and 10-year Treasury yields hasn’t been this low since before the last recession. This gap dropped below zero—i.e. inverted—shortly before the last three recessions.

We haven’t seen it yet in this cycle. But we certainly could see inversion within the next year or so if it keeps dropping at the current rate.

That’s quite possible if the Fed keeps hiking because they have hit their inflation and employment targets.

An Inverted Yield Curve Is a Far-Leading Indicator

The Fed is now walking a very tight rope. The Fed knows deep down that it has to get rates back up so that it has a few “bullets” for the next recession.

It is likely the Fed will keep hiking rates until we get to an inverted yield curve. Is the Fed aware of all the literature and what it’s doing? Absolutely. Candidly, I can’t imagine accepting a Fed appointment knowing that we are this late in the cycle.

Does an inverted yield curve guarantee a recession? No, but inversions are strong evidence that one is forming.

Last month, yet another new San Francisco Fed study found an inverted yield curve—which predicted all nine US recessions since 1955 and is still valid even in today’s low-rate environment.

However, yield curve inversion is a far-leading indicator, which is why my previous recession and bear market calls were early. Those nine recessions all began 6–24 months after the yield curve inverted.

And, in the ones I’m old enough to remember, many experts spent those months telling us that this time was different. (Spoiler: It wasn’t.) And I expect the same again.

Look around at all the great economic news. I’m aware of it. But the economy was hitting on all cylinders in early 2000 and late 2006, too. The numbers always look great right before a recession. Then it all rolls over at once.

A Sign That Something Is Rotten

An inverted yield curve doesn’t immediately damage the economy. It’s like fever. It points to damage that is already happening—an underlying infection.

It means bond investors have lost short-term confidence in the economy and want to lock in longer-term interest rates.

You don’t want to buy, say, one-year bills if you think rates will be lower when it’s time to reinvest them. That will be the case if, for instance, you expect the Fed to be lowering rates to stave off recession.

Fevers usually don’t kill you, they are a symptom of something being wrong. But if a fever gets high enough or lasts long enough, it will kill you. Which is why hospitals work so hard to keep your fever down.

A steeply inverted yield curve that goes on long enough is like having 108° fever. Both banks and shadow lenders go upside down on their “book” and stop making loans. That can freeze the economy and make a garden-variety recession even worse.

Which is why any central bank facing that scenario lowers rates and fights the yield curve.

The London Interbank Offering Rate (LIBOR) has for most of my adult life been the world’s most important private interest rate. By now, you know that it is going away and new substitutes are coming. But LIBOR is still out there for a short time, so let’s look at it.

There’s now less than a 60 basis point spread on the Treasury 2/10, and half that if you’re using LIBOR, which I think of as more free market.

If you go out the LIBOR swap market, you find a 20-year swap is not much different than a 10-year. The further out the curve you go, the flatter it gets. This is what happens at the end of an economic cycle and right before the yield curve inverts.

Get a Bird’s-Eye View of the Economy with Thoughts from the Frontline My weekly newsletter is a must-read for investors who want to find out about the

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What a surprise from the boot lickers of the Fake News in Chief. No mention of the 250 000+ protestors on the streets of London. Makes you proud to be British.

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Crickets from the Trumptards

Hidden Content

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it."

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing on the NATO debacle, the general stupidity crassness and ignorant interfering or the protests across Europe or in Glasgow and Turnberry etc

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...onald-12912429
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
    The Nazis must be stopped, no trump no kkk no facist USA

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nothing on how 'Well below Par' the twat is on everything

https://news.sky.com/video/well-belo...-demo-11436406
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Nazis must be stopped, no trump no kkk no facist USA. Trump poses a terrible threat on England and he must be stopped

They met at Blenheim Palace in Oxford.

Trump is avoiding London to avoid the irate protesters.

I said before he shouldn’t even go at all, but going for the purpose of destroying Theresa May and installing Boris Johnson as PM… well, that is worth a stop off between wrecking NATO in Brussels and then fixing the world order with Putin in Helsinki.
    Last edited by walrus; 07-14-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

NOTHING @El Kabong about Trump choosing your favourite newspaper The currant Bun to give an exclusive interview in which he slags of the Prime Minister, is recorded and broadcast doing so around the world and then denies it the next day.

Rolling out his 'Fake News' projection just like you and your fellow lap dogs will repeat even after this

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    946 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    The Nazis must be stopped, no trump no kkk no facist USA. Trump poses a terrible threat on England and he must be stopped

I said before he shouldn’t even go at all, but going for the purpose of destroying Theresa May and installing Boris Johnson as PM… well, that is worth a stop off between wrecking NATO in Brussels and then fixing the world order with Putin in Helsinki.

If there was another War, I would not hesitate to line up on the beaches against mendacious cunts like you. Back your traitor but take the consequences like a man
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If there was another War, I would not hesitate to line up on the beaches against mendacious cunts like you. Back your traitor but take the consequences like a man
    You don’t live in America. All you do is post slagging of America

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You don’t live in America. All you do is post slagging of America you and your lap dog gang need to go back to your Nazi dog #freetommy threads

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This sums it up ha ha ha

Trump is in many ways the perfect foil for a left that has become more moralistic than political, that sees protest as a means to express their own moral objections rather than to mobilise to achieve specific aims. This is what has made protests in recent decades so off-putting, even where one might agree with them. The rallying cry of the Iraq War marches wasn’t Hands off Iraq, or Down with Western Imperialism. It was Not In My Name. The slogan of today might as well be I’m Better Than Him.
    On some level, the protesters know this. To the charge that these protests are merely ‘symbolic’, a writer in Vice says that ‘protests, at their best, can be moments of powerful catharsis for participants, and a lifeline for those who feel alone as the world slides out of shape’. What he’s talking about is therapy, not politics. And if there’s anything truly striking about political life today, it’s not the illiberal blowhard that is Trump – it is how hysterical, disconnected and feeble the left has become.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

British moral outrage and all that stuff and etiquette and all that stuff is so outdated it's so anachronistic and unnecessary and pedantic when are those people going to get over all of those Hang-Ups?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey that is a good one. I’ve already been to battle so I don’t think you would hold back this mendacious cunt but I do like the your delusional post +1 to the beaner

Thread Information