Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Did UFC 68 steal the show this weekend?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Did UFC 68 steal the show this weekend?

Ok (takes a deep breath), as a former hater of all things MMA I'd never have thought in my life I'd say this but in my opinion the UFC show The Uprising stole the show this weekend in what was on paper the best boxing weekend of the year.

Don't get me wrong the Vasquez, Marquez fight was great but it didn't compare to Randy Cutoure's unbelievable 5 round beat down of 6 ft 8 Tim Sylvia. In fact the whole card was entertaining and I would have to say that every one of the UFC and Pride shows I've seen have (or would have been if I didn't have Bit torrent :P) well worth the cost of the PPV's.

It's no suprise that MMA is getting more and more popular. You don't have the dodgy decisions, the show presentation is generally far better, I mean they actually have presenters who look like they know what they are talking about and could actually fight themselves, rather than a drunken octogenerian whose pointless utterences just take away from the credibility of the commentary.

I honestly reckon that the UFC and Pride could become so popular that in future we may even see both boxing and MMA on the same fightcard, with Showtime maybe using Elite XC fighters to boost boxing PPV sales.

I know I will probably endure a barrage of sadclick's for my profanity but I think I can say, as a former hater, that anyone who approached MMA with an impartial mind would find much to enjoy.

With Pride coming to America now too the likelehood is that the best of the UFC and Pride will increasingly fight each other and the sport will grow stronger than ever.

I really think boxing's lack of organisation may see it fall behind the UFC within 10 years.

Boxing NEEDS to do something, get rid of these shitty trinket belts, make better matchups, lose the bad decisions etc or they could start to lose fans.

What's the opinions of you guys on here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did UFC 68 steal the show this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    Ok (takes a deep breath), as a former hater of all things MMA I'd never have thought in my life I'd say this but in my opinion the UFC show The Uprising stole the show this weekend in what was on paper the best boxing weekend of the year.

Don't get me wrong the Vasquez, Marquez fight was great but it didn't compare to Randy Cutoure's unbelievable 5 round beat down of 6 ft 8 Tim Sylvia. In fact the whole card was entertaining and I would have to say that every one of the UFC and Pride shows I've seen have (or would have been if I didn't have Bit torrent :P) well worth the cost of the PPV's.

It's no suprise that MMA is getting more and more popular. You don't have the dodgy decisions, the show presentation is generally far better, I mean they actually have presenters who look like they know what they are talking about and could actually fight themselves, rather than a drunken octogenerian whose pointless utterences just take away from the credibility of the commentary.

I honestly reckon that the UFC and Pride could become so popular that in future we may even see both boxing and MMA on the same fightcard, with Showtime maybe using Elite XC fighters to boost boxing PPV sales.

I know I will probably endure a barrage of sadclick's for my profanity but I think I can say, as a former hater, that anyone who approached MMA with an impartial mind would find much to enjoy.

With Pride coming to America now too the likelehood is that the best of the UFC and Pride will increasingly fight each other and the sport will grow stronger than ever.

I really think boxing's lack of organisation may see it fall behind the UFC within 10 years.

Boxing NEEDS to do something, get rid of these shitty trinket belts, make better matchups, lose the bad decisions etc or they could start to lose fans.

for me UFC will never compare to boxing. i like UFC as well but when forced to make a decision to watch UFC Uprising or HBO's coverage of the Miranda Edison-Allen Green/Miguel Cotto-Oktay Urkal fight, there was no decision. Boxing as always, took top priority. That's awesome Couture did it though.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddavestafford
    Quote Originally Posted by bilbo

for me UFC will never compare to boxing. i like UFC as well but when forced to make a decision to watch UFC Uprising or HBO's coverage of the Miranda Edison-Allen Green/Miguel Cotto-Oktay Urkal fight, there was no decision. Boxing as always, took top priority. That's awesome Couture did it though.
    If I had to choose I would go with boxing as well, but trust me as someone who watched both, the UFC card was far more exciting than the frankly disappointing HBO card.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Although I like MMA a lot, there is still something pure and different with boxing. It is only in boxing where my excitement level goes haywire throughout the fight. With MMA, it seems like the level of excitement for me comes in spurts. It is only when I see strikers against strikers that my heartbeat goes thump thump

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The UFC was a snooze fest this saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Couture beating Sylvia was an amazing spectacle. UFC 68 sucked balls compared to 67 and the HBO card but that fight was terrific.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will always prefer boxing over UFC 68....fair play to all those that disagree, but its boxing with its styles and rules that im into. Nothing could persuade me otherwise...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

True boxing fans will never jump ship...I also think that pride has FAARR better competition than the UFC.Fedor Imelianeko(not sure on the spelling)would dominate ANY ufc fighter.I remember when chuck liddell went over there and got man handled by quinton jackson.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The way I see it is like this, the reason why MMA is more tense and you can say more exciting is because it's basically a street fight with some rules involved I mean how many of us haven't been a street scrap?
    So when you sit and watch a MMA your tense and it's almost like watching a street fight.....

I personally have seen both MMA such as Pride and K-1 and UFC....
    I think they are all good and entertaining but IMO it doesn't come close to a good boxing fight.....

I was ringside for Marquez-Vasquez and I just saw Couture-Sylva (Thanks Heavy D )
    and I can honestly tell you it doesn't compare the kind of blows and the way Marquez & Vasquez traded shots! was insane....
    Coture-Sylva IMO was like Cotto-Urkal.......

Miranda-Green started off slow but picked up the pace. They traded knockdowns and got to work....

It all boils down to what your into or what your looking for.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like both UFC/MMA and Boxing. Boxing much mroe though. I'm glad to hear that Randy beat the Ogre. Good for him.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Thread Information