Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unhappy Young fighter died in a bout today

Frankie Leal passed away in a fight against Raul Hirales at just 26, it's on all the main boxing websites.

Sad stuff, don't have many comments just wondering whether anyone had seen this guy before and had an idea of what shape he was in. He apparently left the ring on a stretcher against Gradovich(who edged Billy dib in a stinker on FNF not long back) and Top ranks matchmaker took to twitter saying this was not surprising and he shouldn't have been allowed to fight again etc. Going to post video of the last round as it's really doesn't appear that brutal and just goes to show what can happen in this sport. Cards were even, the round starts pretty competitively and then Leal was in a bad way really quickly after a couple of shots. You can tell he starts reacting terribly to glancing blows towards the end and collapses, was never unconscious that I could see. Are MRI's and cat scans standard for fights of this calibre, could this have been a case where he clearly had brain damage that should have barred him from competing?

Last edited by p4pking; 10-23-2013 at 08:11 AM.

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Young fighter died in a bout today

R.I.P
    very sad
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep, just read that it was actually a fight which took place on saturday, doesn't say whether he was in a coma or they were attempting surgery but my bad for the thread title.

I do wonder whether he would have passed proper medical exams or had visible clotting or bleeding on the brain, nobody who has should ever fight again from what I've read about it. Jermain Taylor was actually the first big name that came to mind as a tragedy waiting to happen, I'm sure it would get a lot more people talking if it happened to somebody like that.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

too many rabbit shots, the last 2 were clear back of the head shots, the refs better start payin more fucking attention to this shit. reminded me of mcclellan and benn.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    too many rabbit shots, the last 2 were clear back of the head shots, the refs better start payin more fucking attention to this shit. reminded me of mcclellan and benn.
    I was just saying that. Clear rabbit shots that Leal didn't need to take. Apparently ref's these days allow these sorts of glancing, back of the head and neck, shots to carry on.

Gone are the days of taking a point away for rabbit punching, behind the head or in the back of the kidneys.

Sad. RIP.

p.s.
    Leal also took a terrible beating in his fight prior to this. Some Russian guy, can't spell the name. But, he was in just a bad a shape as this one, except for the fatality.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's sad, Rest in peace!

unfortunately not the first and not the last one.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great call. That's why they don't let you do that shit, it's a bad spot to get hit.

Seems like the instances when people get seriously hurt or killed aren't the brutal one punch KO's that you'd think, it's the instances where guys take a lot of clubbing shots, especially to the back of the head. Refs need to be more vigilante in calling that shit.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yea true, I really didn't see that fully watching the first time. Obviously this guy was in a bad way to begin with and got hurt by a couple of flush shots, but those clubs to the back of the skull afterwards could have literally been what killed him. It's a bullshit foul and really shouldn't be tolerated in any circumstance, Hopkins gets away with it a lot.

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Completely agree with the rabbit shots. I didn't see it as much this year but last year it seemed to be happening a lot of the major fights I watched. Can't name one now but those shots stick in my mind as they piss me off. Seems like its something the refs could easily take care of. Perhaps this tragedy will bring that about. This is absolutely horrible for the guys family. Sometimes you watch NASCAR to see a few crashes as they usually don't get hurt but I never watch boxing to see someone die. PS I don't really watch NASCAR just using that as a stupid example

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Yea true, I really didn't see that fully watching the first time. Obviously this guy was in a bad way to begin with and got hurt by a couple of flush shots, but those clubs to the back of the skull afterwards could have literally been what killed him. It's a bullshit foul and really shouldn't be tolerated in any circumstance, Hopkins gets away with it a lot.
    Andre Ward gets away with it all the time too. They arent that powerful but the sheetr number of times he does it in clinches has a cumulative effect

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rip

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fucking skunts. One thing I dont get is this: when a fighter is fouled, why dont they retaliate or really fucking cmplain with all theri might---even if its between rounds. I would 1st of all retaliate, grab, tackle, get the fucker back right away. I wouldnt care the DQ, I would only care my health and Marquis of Q. Nobody is fouling me.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rip Franky. It may shine a light on what we already see weekly, incompentent officials and zero guidlines or accountability when they "make it up as they go"...but lets not lose sight that we are watching two guys punch each other in the brain, repeatedly. This kis had been stopped 5 times, and rode a stretcher out on the last one. Blowing calls, guys packing on 25 lbs in a day, or having zero business in there but to serve as a warm body...its a tragedy on a stopwatch.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Those two shots were pathetic and the first one hardly landed at all...the second was a cuff.
    The uppercut just before done some damage but other than that it was a tame round and boring to watch.
    There must have been something wrong prior to this fight .

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That round was tame..the last 2 punches were just cuffs...infact the first hardly landed. The uppercut before did some damage so id say he went into this fight carrying a brain injury or something happened earlier in the fight.
    Was fuck all like Benn v Gman either.

Thread Information