Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Illegal punches: Punching the hip bone when the ref isnt watching

what do you think is more effective than punching downward on the hip bone? george foreman's first punch on joe frazier was a chopping right to the hip bone when the ref was on the other side, therfore his view was obstructed. That punch seemed to stop frazier in his tracks. he took an awkward step backward and his opposite foot hit the canvass very loudly, you can hear it very loudly on the video.

Foreman also had that awkward-looking chopping right to the kidney. He threw it even in his comeback career against gerry cooney.

What sneaky punches do you think really take the starch out of a fighter besides the obvious low blow??

Mike Tyson used to try to pop blood vessels in the arm-pit area of his opponents by throwing uppercuts underneath their left jabs.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Illegal punches: Punching the hip bone when the ref isnt watching

I've been told that the punches to the hip and/or rump area, in the clinch and away from the referee are an attempt to aggravate the sciatic nerve. If it works or not I don't know, but at some point I guess it either did, or some one thought it did.
    Early in the Toney/Holyfield fight, Toney landed a left hook high up under Holyfield's right arm that made him visibly wince. Max Baer said that Jack Dempsey, in a training camp demonstration, hit his left bicep so hard that his arm was numb for several minutes.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sciatic nrve, that makes sense. wow, getting nailed on the bicep must be painful as shiit. that hip shot must work because i've seen foreman use it many times.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

btw, its gotta be an illegal shot, right?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Difficult to prove the illegality of it. Did not realise it could cause that much damage. I would have thought there would be more damage to the hand landing on the hip area. Good to know. I would aim for the throat.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Difficult to prove the illegality of it. Did not realise it could cause that much damage. I would have thought there would be more damage to the hand landing on the hip area. Good to know. I would aim for the throat.
    It only works with a bare knuckle bro (particular with the index knuckle). I saw JMM hit Katsidis cleanly to the throat and it didn't do that much damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I forgot where i heard this but in Foremanz fight wit Ali he hit him on da hipz alot when he waz on da ropez an they said he did cuz it caused da hipz to bruise or swell so that he could not move around as freely. Which they said waz the reason y Ali spent so much time on the ropez in that fight.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

that'z a bit ztrange. Juzt out of curiouzity, iz there a reazon why you're writing like that?
    Juzt wondering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    that'z a bit ztrange. Juzt out of curiouzity, iz there a reazon why you're writing like that?
    Juzt wondering.

Haha thatz how i text man. Im on my phone get used to it!

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel "Chubby" Medina View Post
    Juzt wondering.

Thatz cool bro..... i underztand you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel "Chubby" Medina View Post
    Juzt wondering.

Thatz cool bro..... i underztand you.

I use S's too man. Juzz sayin.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Qhat Qhe Quck Qre Qou quys Qalking qbout?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It used to be common for flat footed brawlers to bang away on the legs and hips of other fighters, especially guys that like to stick and move or dance circles around them. Bruise up the legs and they weren't as fast. It became easier to catch them and corral them into corners. Also, once the hips and legs are bruised, a guy who makes his money off of being fast and agile is now distracted when trying to use his legs.
    Joints are the easiest things to go for because you can do the most amount of damage in the shortest amount of time. Aside from tyson hitting guys with forearms and the aforementioned uppercut, that arm bar he liked to use, would put stress on the tendons by hyper extending it.
    One of the most common ones i've seen is using your elbows to work over your opponents shoulders. Whenever you see a one fighter miss a shot as two guys come together and then throw a hand up to cover what appears side or back of his head as they fall into a clinch, Pay close attention to where that elbow makes contact with the other fighter.
    Take away a fighters weapons and hes got nothing left to hit you with.

Shot to the armpit also hurt like hell because of all the nerve endings there.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How about bouncing up and down in clinches? I've seen this several times- Sammy Fuentes used to do it all the time. In a fight on ESPN, on his way up, he damaged his opponent's jaw (broke it?) badly enough that the fight was stopped.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by :::PSL::: View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    It only works with a bare knuckle bro (particular with the index knuckle). I saw JMM hit Katsidis cleanly to the throat and it didn't do that much damage.
    I imagine a forearm shoved in the through could be pretty aggravating.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Thread Information