Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Bernard Hopkins vs. Joe Smith

Bernard Hopkins has more than earned the right to go out on his own terms, and he's going to do exactly that. A legend of the sport of boxing and one of the craftiest to ever step between the ropes, the 51-year-old Hopkins has decided he has one more fight in him, for better or for ill.

He will take on Joe Smith Jr. on Saturday at the Forum in Inglewood, California, for what he says will be the last bout of his storied career.

This is no canned exhibition match, nothing like those farewell testimonial games afforded retiring legends in soccer. This is the real deal, a scheduled 12-round bout for Smith's WBC International light heavyweight title. Yes, that's right, after all is said and done, Hopkins could go out with a glimmering strap slung across his shoulder.

Or, he could go out battered and broken, losing to a powerful man just over half his age and doing unnecessary harm to his aging mind and body. There are eminently justifiable concerns about this bout even taking place, but none of those worries about waning energy levels and fading reflexes will stop the show on Saturday.

Hopkins is a marvel of the sports world no matter the outcome of Saturday's fight. Here's how you can catch what is expected to be the final bow of one of the sport's greats.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bernard Hopkins vs. Joe Smith

I personally don't think Hopkins should have taken this fight, the risk is far too high for the possible rewards
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Hopkins will win. He's made a career out of slipping and farting around the ring and making young guys look bad. Kovalev was too much for him but I think he'll beat Smith.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by vidgil View Post
    I think Hopkins will win. He's made a career out of slipping and farting around the ring and making young guys look bad. Kovalev was too much for him but I think he'll beat Smith.
    I too think Hopkins can pull it off, but this is a very dangerous opponent. I'm a bit weary of this fight to be honest.!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I too think Hopkins can pull it off, but this is a very dangerous opponent. I'm a bit weary of this fight to be honest.!
    I'd love to see Hopkins finally get sparked out to be honest!

It would make up for the many times he put me to sleep

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember B Hop in his prime against Tito and appreciate that he is taking on these young killers and beating most of them at an age when he should be in slippers.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I'd love to see Hopkins finally get sparked out to be honest! It would make up for the many times he put me to sleep
    Fuck you for saying such a thing.You cunt.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Obviously with a 2 year layoff already being a dinosaur it's possible Hopkins will have slipped too much physically, but he still looks good, and I have a feeling Joe Smith is about as special as his name is. Much as the age gap is ridiculous, that's been the case in most every Hopkins fight for the last 10 years, and it that time its likely every single opponent he's faced was considerably better than this guy. All we have to go by for Smith is the Fonfara fight, where he was hurt himself and caught a guy trying to finish him recklessly. He looks quite slow and crude, we know Hopkins isn't going to rush at him early, I think it's a tame points win or late stoppage for the old man and a pretty easy one to call at that.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have to compartmentalize when it comes to Hopkins. Or at least I do. I have to separate the fact that I ‘don’t like the person from the fact that he is a great fighter. His boorish behavior has not gone unnoticed but his victories over Pavlik, Tarver and Tito were something special

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can't really knock Smith as opponent after demolition job he did on Fonfara. Also cannot forget he was rocked with a counter punch. As with most Hopkins opponents I think most important thing is to not fall for the head games or become just happy to be a part of event. Ruin the party, don't box him and go for early KO or be blinded by the event lights and sniped all night.

glad this is at the Forum and not a bad card really.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm a huge Hop fan so I'm likely biased, but I see him winning this fight by doing what he does best these days: shutting down the other guy's offense, slowing things down, and edging rounds on the way to a decision. A few thoughts on Hop and his stellar career:

1. His fight vs. Tito was the most complete and impressive performance (IMO) that I have seen. If someone ever asks me what a good fight to watch to see greatness, this is the fight I recommend. Hop was brilliant that night and displayed a complete package of mental toughness, ring intelligence, ring generalship, boxing ability, punching power, stamina, killer instinct...etc., and he did it vs. a top p4p fighter.

2. Hop has developed the reputation of a spoiler late in his career (rightfully so). This is tragic because Hop was actually right hand crazy and reckless early in his career and then became one of, if not the most, complete fighter of his generation (Floyd, Roy...etc., were more naturally gifted, but I can't think of another fighter other than Floyd who was even close to as well rounded as Hop).

3. Archie Moore and George Foreman (maybe Larry Holmes also) were the face/poster children for successful older fighters. While both had great accomplishments at advanced ages, I feel neither consistently beat top teir competition like Hop did. In my opinion, Hop surpasses both on the list of historically great old guys.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

El Bump!

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

usyk mchunu starting now... 208 and 206lbs on the night....

or paige van zant is the ufc on the other channel :S

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

why is the crowd booing already, they bought tickets for a b hop fight :S if they dont like this then the main event might not be for them either :S

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wonder how much of Mchunu Usyk people watched. He's content to do this all night and finds holes.

Thread Information