Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is this true?

That other than extremely old school fighters that have 100 plus wins...none of the greats really beat more than maybe 10-12 good or great fighters.... just think about it....ALi---he beat forman, frazier, liston, norton, patterson and maybe two or 3 more

SRL - beat hearns, hagler, norris, duran, benetiz

Duran - beat leonard , barkley,...lost to hagler and hearns

Hagler - beat duran, hearns, and maybe two or three more real names..

Well the point that I'm trying to make is that none of the modern era fighters or any fighter for that matter fights tough fight after tough fight...they all have records with wins over a majority of boxers that are just B-minus fighters... and if i missed a name or two on the fighters above then just add them to the short list and it still won't be over 10-12 names... this could be applied to any fighter that is an all time great...anyone of them...just try it and you'll see...so I think people should stop criticizing the younger generation about their opposition...
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is this true?

Marvin Hagler fought Ray Seales (three times), Bogaloo Watts (three times), Willie The Worm (three times), Cyclone Hart, Mike Colbert, Kevin Finnegan (twice), Bennie Briscoe, Vito Antufermo (twice), Alan Minter, Fulgencio Obelmejias (twice), Mustafa Hamasho (twice), Tony Sibson, Roberto Duran, Juan Roldan, Tommy Hearns, John Mugabi and Ray Leonard; I make that 17 good to great fighters in 27 fights...

Of the fights stated, he was 22-3-2 two defeats avenged (twice), and in reality only Willie the Worm Monroe actually beating him without doubt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Leonard fought Adolpho Virut, Mayweather Snr, Randy Shields, Pete Ranzany, Wilfred Benitez, Dave 'Boy' Green, Roberto Duran (three times), Larry Bonds, Ayub Kalule, Tommy Hearns (twice), Marvin Hagler, Donny Lalonde, Terry Norris and Hector Camacho; 13 good to great fighters in 17 fights with a 13-3-1 record.

Duran fought Ken Buchanan, Esteban DeJesus (three times), Jimmy Robertson, (Guts) Ishimatsu Suzuki, Ray Lampkin, Edwin Virut (twice), Saoul Mamby, Adolpho Virut, Monroe Brooks, Carlos Palomino, Ray Leonard (three times), Luigi Minchillo, Pipino Cuevas, Davey Moore, Marvin Hagler, Tommy Hearns, Robbie Sims, Juan Carlos Giminez, Iran Barkley, Vinny Paz(ienza) (twice), Hector Camacho, Jorge Castro (twice) and William Joppy.

That is 23 good to great fighters in 30 fights with a 19-11 record.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe some of those names are just b-rated fighters that are overrated...and duran had over 116-fights...and if he faced 23 good to great fighters in 30 fights and only had a record of 19-11...doesn't that make him seriously overrated?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JonesJrMayweather
    Maybe some of those names are just b-rated fighters that are overrated...and duran had over 116-fights...and if he faced 23 good to great fighters in 30 fights and only had a record of 19-11...doesn't that make him seriously overrated?
    Duran lost 6 of his last 7 fights against good to great opposition, and I was being very strict on the criteria that makes a fighter good or better, the reality is Duran met good fighters from 1972 all the way though 89, with only perhaps one or two exceptions.

The same goes for virtually all world class fighters, it is just that not many are a factor in the sport for 17 years and own at one time a 72-1 pro record

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

well , considering he started at a batamweight, became one of the best lightweights of all time, became welterweight, light middleweight and middleweight champion...thats an incredible feat to accomplish.
    He was the only man ever to beat SRL before he got old, and gave Hagler a serioulsy hard fight when he was an old man.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    Duran lost 6 of his last 7 fights against good to great opposition, and I was being very strict on the criteria that makes a fighter good or better, the reality is Duran met good fighters from 1972 all the way though 89, with only perhaps one or two exceptions.

The same goes for virtually all world class fighters, it is just that not many are a factor in the sport for 17 years and own at one time a 72-1 pro record
    CC,you sure know your stuff bro! Think I clicked you already today,so I owe you tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid

Truth is this...all great fighters in the modern era only about a third of their records is worth mentioning...and even the third that they did fight if held under serious examination it probably would be a quarter.... And of those 72 wins 55 of them were probably against guys that did nothing in sport after they lost or were just local panamanians from the bar with boxing records that Duran used to pad his record...You've already named the ones you feel were good to great and came up with 23 names and 30 fights...but since his record was 19-11...obviously not that impressive, points to the overwhelming fact that he was overrated. You now say that there's more...how convienent is that. Out of 116 fights you only named 23 fighters and he had 11 losses....this makes him good by having a winning record in those fights...but clearly and definitely not great...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Truth is this...all great fighters in the modern era only about a third of their records is worth mentioning...and even the third that they did fight if held under serious examination it probably would be a quarter.... And of those 72 wins 55 of them were probably against guys that did nothing in sport after they lost or were just local panamanians from the bar with boxing records that Duran used to pad his record...You've already named the ones you feel were good to great and came up with 23 names and 30 fights...but since his record was 19-11...obviously not that impressive, points to the overwhelming fact that he was overrated. You now say that there's more...how convienent is that. Out of 116 fights you only named 23 fighters and he had 11 losses....this makes him good by having a winning record in those fights...but clearly and definitely not great...
    In June 1972 Duran stepped into the ring against Buchanan 28-0, in that record he had beaten Herbert Marcel a future unbeaten Featherweight World Champion, who would suffer only one more defeat in his career, and would go on to beat Alexis Arguello.

He beat a former 130lb World titlist in Hiroshi Kobayashi, a man who held on to the belt for three years. He beat the amazing Cuban journeyman Angel Robinson Garcia, a man with only two stoppage defeats , one due to a cut eye, in over 230 fights.

After winning the Lightweight World Crown, a title he defended 12 times, he had 30 non title bouts. These 30 non title bouts included fights against three future/past world titlist; DeJesus, Mamby and Palomino.

On top of this he also met in non title fights Gerardo Ferrat (Mexican Lightweight Champ), Tony Garcia (one defeat in 17), Armando Mendoza (2 defeats in 19), Edwin Viruet (one loss in 24), Emiliano Villa (three defeats in 29, two time world title challenger), Adolfo Viruet (USBA 140lbs champ), Monroe Brooks (4 defeats in 45 fights), Jimmy Heair (a 90 fight veteran), Zeferino Gonzalez (two defeats in 22) and Joseph Nsubuga (unbeaten in 14 fights).

He then beat one Ray Leonard, Duran rarely had it easy in his prime and yet still went 72-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As far as duran goes keep in mind he was not a middle and went a competive 15 against hagler and also no longer in his prime, as lighweight at match him up with anyone in history to have a good shot at beating them, and as welter as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It is not like every era is filled with 12+ great fighters for every weight division. There are always going to be those fighters that were good or semi-great in their respective era's but that dont rate on as an all-time great. You have to be able to know each era and what fighters were good or great in those era's.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information