Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy was text book for once his reflexes didnt fail it was just a 1 in a million

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Roy was text book for once his reflexes didnt fail it was just a 1 in a million

This has been beaten to death over and over, but I posted this vid on another thread and I kinda forgot in my own mind how it all went down...

Roy was textbook when he threw the left hook with his right held up high to his face...Tarver couldnt have snuck it in anybetter or luckier... It was like landing a 747 on a LA highway during rush hour without hitting any cars.. It wasnt a case of Roys diminishing reflexes.. Look for yourself

[youtube=425,350]VN4uQs10yAw[/youtube]

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy was text book for once his reflexes didnt fail it was just a 1 in a million

Me personally I've always said age was also a big factor....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy was text book for once his reflexes didnt fail it was just a 1 in a million

I think you're right. I don't think that was Roy slipping, so much a Tonio throwing a friggin stinger missle. That will go down as one of the great punches in boxing history, a la Marciano/Walcott. And the fact that he threw that after eating a big Roy Jones right hand is impressive. Pre-Rocky VI Tarver was a stud.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dont count up by the ear as guarding your chin, sorry.
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just because you hold up a high guard, it doesnt mean punches wont get through.

What Jones lacks and always has is upper body and head movement, his legs have slowed down, or rather his energy for boxing, that is what he relied on before, just stepping out the way.

He hasnt really been taught how to avoid punches, as soon as his game slowed people were gonna catch him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    I dont count up by the ear as guarding your chin, sorry.
    UMMMMMMM...... Dooly noted and filed properly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

the problem wasn't roys guard but the fact that he didn't have his chin tuck. you gotta try and keep ya chin down and ya eyes up. like hopkins. hopkins is pretty good at keeping his chin down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i get mad when watching this clip and the glen johnson clip. peeps actually believe these two clips sum up one of the greatest of all tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    Me personally I've always said age was also a big factor....
    It always makes me smile when people take this loss as vitally important , Marvin Halger said goodbye at 33-34. Roy just was old.
    Tarver was in right place at right time as was Glen Johnson , Roy had a long great carea fighters who rely on reflexes unsually loose there edge overnight , this happend to roy. Tarver was older guy also in boxing terms but he hadnt had anywere near as many fights as roy and was the fresher.
    Roy Jones Jr was a great fighter untouchable in his prime the losses to Tarver and Johnson dont mean sh.it to me.
    Thanks for the memories Roy you will always be great in my eyes .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That punch was a lucky punch...tarver had his eyes closed when he threw it but it was one sneaky fuckin punch. Oh well shit happens,roy was great...isnt as great these days...thats how great fighters usually end up,fighting past their prime. What can ya do about it? Nothing thats what.
    Hidden Content

Please see above for my opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think that tarver was robbed in the first fight and knew he would beat him in the rematch. with roy having to lose all that weight to come down from heavy i think it took too much out of him and he hasnt been the same since. it wasn't fat that he had to lose. it was all muscle. in the first tarver fight he had no stamina and blaimed having to lose the weight as his reason.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy was pretty casual with his guard there.

Its unfortunate though, 9 times outta 10 Roy would a) landed that right-hand he threw pretty cleanly and b) pulled away out of danger.

Notice (on the overhead angle) the way Tarver, closes across Jones, on an awkward angle? That might of had something to do with the punches effectiveness?
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie

Its unfortunate though, 9 times outta 10 Roy would a) landed that right-hand he threw pretty cleanly and b) pulled away out of danger.

Notice (on the overhead angle) the way Tarver, closes across Jones, on an awkward angle? That might of had something to do with the punches effectiveness?
    That definitely had something to do with punches effectiveness. cc for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy was text book for once his reflexes didnt fail it was just a 1 in a mill

Roy was old, end of. But jeze was that some cracking punch right there!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Brockton Bomber
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimboogie

That definitely had something to do with punches effectiveness. cc for you.
    *CLK* back your way cuz. I dont think it was Tarvers intetion to move across Jones like that, probably more of a reaction to nearly getting hammered with a Trademark right from Jones....

Unlucky Roy
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Thread Information