Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Calzaghe How Competitive Would It Be ??

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Calzaghe How Competitive Would It Be ??

I think Jones would do better against Calzaghe than most people think, Jones has a very good straight right hand. Which is a very good punch against a southpaw plus Calzaghe does get caught by that punch an awful lot. Jones still has quicker hands than Calzaghe plus Calzaghe has never dealt with anyone in Jones class. I also don't think Calzaghe will just be able to simply outwork Jones and win UD like most people expect. Jones is very smart fighter and he won't allow Calzaghe to get off that many punches, Jones can stop Calzaghe's work rate with his blinding hand speed and he can make Calzaghe more cautious by landing those fast crisp punches. On the downside for Jones he hasn't KO anyone in a long time but IMO he still has good power.

Whats your thoughts ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Roy Jones Jr vs Joe Calzaghe How Competitive Would It Be ??

I don't think Jones has "blinding" handspeed anymore. He has very good handspeed, or well above-average handspeed, but I don't think his speed is blinding anymore. He can land punches, but he can't leap in and land punches that his opponents never see, like he used to.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

MY thoughts ? Pretty much the same as yours.
    I think Jones proved that although he cant go as hard or for as long (God knows why anyone would expect that) he can control a fight with slight shifts and exceptional leg work so nothing clean can land on him. He knows the game instinctivly so he wont get caught comming forwards cause he wont go there unless he is on the attack and he doesnt just go on the attack just for sake of it, its always a timed move on what the opponent has just done.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ok I am not nearly as knowledgeabe as some of you guys on here nor do I post nearly as much, but wtf, jones wins against tito as most of us expected him to do, in less spectacular fashion than many of us thought, and he's back to being able to give calzaghe an even fight. Sorry roy isn't giving cal a hard fight these days anymore, years ago completely different story, but roy just because he won against tito is not magically back to being old roy. I'm not saying cal would win a shutout but it wouldn't be one of his hardest fights either.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by armin
    Ok I am not nearly as knowledgeabe as some of you guys on here nor do I post nearly as much, but wtf, jones wins against tito as most of us expected him to do, in less spectacular fashion than many of us thought, and he's back to being able to give calzaghe an even fight. Sorry roy isn't giving cal a hard fight these days anymore, years ago completely different story, but roy just because he won against tito is not magically back to being old roy. I'm not saying cal would win a shutout but it wouldn't be one of his hardest fights either.
    I disagree both Tito and Jones performed much better than people expected. Jones showed much more offensive skills in this fight, he showed good defense, and he showed he still has some of the quickest hands P4P.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by armin
    Oh well some of us think that skill beats fitness or toughness at any time.

Reminds me of why we thought HAtton would lose and did.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im british and am a huge fan of calzaghi, but like with all british fighter they fail at the last hurdle when they face true world class oppisition.

hamed v barrera
    hatton v mayweather
    cooper v ali
    bruno v tyson
    that guy v jones jnr
    and list goes on

even at the late stages of hopkins and jones careers i think its possible they could beat him, a few years ago they would have wiped the floor with him, just my honest thoughts.

THE SKY IS THE LIMIT NOT THE LIMIT IS THE SKY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MIKAY
    im british and am a huge fan of calzaghi, but like with all british fighter they fail at the last hurdle when they face true world class oppisition.

hamed v barrera
    hatton v mayweather
    cooper v ali
    bruno v tyson
    that guy v jones jnr
    and list goes on

even at the late stages of hopkins and jones careers i think its possible they could beat him, a few years ago they would have wiped the floor with him, just my honest thoughts.
    But to be fair to Calzaghe, his situation is different than those UK guys you listed.

Frank Bruno was a stiff, Cooper wasn't a top heavyweight either.

Calzaghe is better than Hamed, and he's much more skilled than Hatton. 39 or 40 year old Roy Jones will also not be as tough of an opponent as prime Barrera or prime Mayweather.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think jones would calzaghe alot of trouble even at this stage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree with you on many of your points ICB..

I think the question is really if Jones or even Hopkins will be able to keep up with Calzaghe if it gets into the later rounds..

Hopkins sits back and sits back and sits back.. etc.. It will be interesting to see him at a higher pace for most, if not all of the fight.

With Jones, I think that he will be fighting too high of a pace and would REALLY have to land some hard shots to stop Calzaghe's pressure early to get into control of the fight. If that happens, which it 100% definitely has the possibility, i think Jones would have a very good chance of defeating Calzaghe.. Roy would have to train exceptionally hard, and really wouldn't be able to sit back for 4 rounds like he did against Tito.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy was sharp and fast and his jab was snappy and hard. He seemed to show bursts of his old self but in a smart, less energy spending way. Joe would make him fight at a pace he most probably would struggle with in the later rounds. If he didn't try and match Joe's workrate he would surely lose anyway.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Jones new style of keeping his hands up and moving forward. Jones seems to know how to save and perserve himself at this stage. I think the tarver third fight and even the glen johnson fight showed him he cant do it like he used to. I really like this new style he's been showing lately. Much better for someone at his age to use what he still has effectively.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Roy seemed to have that fire in his eyes last night. I think he is hungry again and wants to prove something.

I will not doubt him. I think he has another big win or two in him before he is done, and it could come against anyone.

Roy is a master of controlling the pace of fights. I don't think Calzaghe's punch output will be a determining factor. Joe is used to getting away with with anything he wants because he is fighting much slower guys than him, and most cannot hit him hardly at all.

Jones, even this shell of his former self, offers a much different dynamic. He is still super fast and can make guys pay a big price for throwing their own punches or getting sloppy.

It is an interesting fight for sure and I would pay to see it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its gonna be a good fight, forget B-Hop this one is way more exciting IMO! Two speedsters that have great defense and combos, this has to be entertaining. I know I'm jumping on the bandwagon way late but you cant help but be impressed when they announce RJJ and it takes about a half hour to go through all his accomplishments I think RJJ wins this one if he comes in looking like the Tito fight, but I wouldnt mind if Joe won. This is weird coming from me because if this was a year ago, I would be saying I hope they both lose.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This new coming forward style Roy looks to employ??Roy from what ive seen as of late will get rocked if he walks in on Hopkins.....even If there collecting AARP checks right about now.Roy was mass reliant on reflexes and speed in prime and I do think It's a touch too late to wanna become a Orthodox fighter against top tier guy's who in fact have never been flattened cold.
    Roy is multiple all time achiever & Champion but he is not this born again P4P #1 that's walking through top guy's. Take a breath...Calzaghe Vs.Hopkins 1st and in all honesty that's nip and tuck...
    Jones Vs. either one at this point will be beaten IMO.I rued this day as Tito has become measuring stick
    Love Trinidad and he deserves much props.Great Champion.

Thread Information