Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: NFL questions for those in the know (have just watched Draft Day)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default NFL questions for those in the know (have just watched Draft Day)

Ok so I know nothing about American Football or the NFL but had heard of the draft and having picks etc..

Just watched Draft day and really enjoyed it though – I now have a much better understanding of how the game goes on with no transfer market and how they use trades etc.. (like we have in football). I also like the idea of the team finishing last choosing best players !!

Draft Day (2014) - IMDb

However some questions.

- Does a player have to go to whoever chooses them ?!? eg You want to play in New York but Seattle have first pick etc.. and pick you. Can you refuse ?
    - Can new players only join the NFL on draft day ? eg anyone who comes through after would have to wait for the following season’s draft day ?
    - Can teams trade players during the regular season ?

Many thanks in advance for info from my acquaintances across the pond
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: NFL questions for those in the know (have just watched Draft Day)

#1 - Yes you CAN refuse to join the team that picked you and this has happened many times before most recently with Eli Manning refusing to join the San Diego Chargers thereby forcing a trade with the New York Giants sending Philip Rivers the other way. Also Hall of Famer John Elway refused to sign for the then Baltimore Colts although he went to play baseball for a year before being officially drafted by the Denver Broncos. I believe if you get drafted and then refuse to sign you must sit out a year unless a trade that all parties agree to can be made

#2 Guys can come into the league as free agents or through practice squads at pretty much any time, but much like soccer teams are restricted to dressing a certain number of players and so on.

#3 Teams can trade during the season up to a certain date called a "trade deadline"
    Last edited by El Kabong; 09-24-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thanks

So a free agent could come in at any time and negotiate his way into any team ? eg this bypassing the draft
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Thanks

So a free agent could come in at any time and negotiate his way into any team ? eg this bypassing the draft
    Players typically have to declare for the draft regardless of whether or not they are actually drafted. They are free to sign as an undrafted free agent but the pay isn't nearly as good but there have been several greats to do just that.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ahhh.... yes..... Eli Manning.

Peyton's baby brother who inexplicably won two Super Bowls with the NY Giants. As inconsistent a QB as has ever played the game. The 3rd best QB in his own family (father Archie was a QB also). I'm sure San Diego isn't too broken up about getting the tough Rivers instead of the pampered Eli.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

Peyton's baby brother who inexplicably won two Super Bowls with the NY Giants. As inconsistent a QB as has ever played the game. The 3rd best QB in his own family (father Archie was a QB also). I'm sure San Diego isn't too broken up about getting the tough Rivers instead of the pampered Eli.
    I grew up watching Archie manning...He could run (given the horrible Saints of the era, he had to) and he could throw. If he played today, with the read option, etc...he'd give his eldest a run for his money.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Thanks

I think if you are drafted and refuse to sign for the team you have to wait a year or something for the teams rights over the player to expire then you become a free agent , I could be wrong though.

Although like el kabong said the teams will usually trade away someone who does that

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post

I grew up watching Archie manning...He could run (given the horrible Saints of the era, he had to) and he could throw. If he played today, with the read option, etc...he'd give his eldest a run for his money.

Good point. He never had a good supporting cast. It would be a close battle between Archie and Peyton. Eli can be good (right now he's having a good game against the Redskins). But he's inconsistent as hell and he's been damn lucky to have some very good Giants teams around him. No contest.

Thread Information