Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Canelo Alvarez credentials?

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacMagician View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    This fight will go just like all of Floyd's other fights. Floyd will look at him for a couple of rounds and then start picking him apart, I don't see why he would change this pattern.
    Canelo will be applying cautious aggression for the first round or so and then try to step it up from the third or so.
    I think Floyd is as good as he will ever be, not everyone is a Floyd Mayweather but on the other hand not everyone is a Bernard Hopkins, so I see Floyd slowing a little every fight from now on. Floyd is an amazing fighter, athlete, with an amazing boxing IQ and is as dedicated a gym rat as you'll see. Did I say Floyd is amazing? but everyone has to deal with age, it could be this fight or a couple of fights from now.
    Canelo's biggest chance is Nacho Beristain. If there is a fault in Floyd's boxing, Nacho is one who can see it.
    I don't think Floyd has any faults in the ring, he is poised, always in position, doesn't make big mistakes and does not lose concentration.
    Unless Nacho has something up his sleeve, it's going to be up to Floyd whether Floyd wins or not, in my opinion.
    I'd be tempted to say that this is incorrect, and that very early in the fight, as Mayweather opts to adjust on the fly, he isn't operating at 100%.

That is Canelos best and probably only shot at beating Floyd, catching him out very early and stopping him. How likely that is of happening though is very low IMO as Floyd will probably be super cautious for the first few rounds not allowing Canelo to get close at all, and probably for the entire fight.
    The 2nd right hand is the one that buckled him and hurt him more. Either way he wasn't caught due to lack of concentration. Mosley just set him up. A quick jab that got Mayweather's attention and than the followed up right that Floyd never saw coming
    Surely that has to be related to his concentration though, as he never got caught with that shot again. anyway, all my point demonstrates is that Mayweather isn't fully switched on to his opponent until he figures them out due to concentration or not and adjusts, which is normally a couple of rounds, 4 max...

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This fight will go just like all of Floyd's other fights. Floyd will look at him for a couple of rounds and then start picking him apart, I don't see why he would change this pattern.
    Canelo will be applying cautious aggression for the first round or so and then try to step it up from the third or so.
    I think Floyd is as good as he will ever be, not everyone is a Floyd Mayweather but on the other hand not everyone is a Bernard Hopkins, so I see Floyd slowing a little every fight from now on. Floyd is an amazing fighter, athlete, with an amazing boxing IQ and is as dedicated a gym rat as you'll see. Did I say Floyd is amazing? but everyone has to deal with age, it could be this fight or a couple of fights from now.
    Canelo's biggest chance is Nacho Beristain. If there is a fault in Floyd's boxing, Nacho is one who can see it.
    I don't think Floyd has any faults in the ring, he is poised, always in position, doesn't make big mistakes and does not lose concentration.
    Unless Nacho has something up his sleeve, it's going to be up to Floyd whether Floyd wins or not, in my opinion.
    I'd be tempted to say that this is incorrect, and that very early in the fight, as Mayweather opts to adjust on the fly, he isn't operating at 100%.

That is Canelos best and probably only shot at beating Floyd, catching him out very early and stopping him. How likely that is of happening though is very low IMO as Floyd will probably be super cautious for the first few rounds not allowing Canelo to get close at all, and probably for the entire fight.
    The 2nd right hand is the one that buckled him and hurt him more. Either way he wasn't caught due to lack of concentration. Mosley just set him up. A quick jab that got Mayweather's attention and than the followed up right that Floyd never saw coming
    Surely that has to be related to his concentration though, as he never got caught with that shot again. anyway, all my point demonstrates is that Mayweather isn't fully switched on to his opponent until he figures them out due to concentration or not and adjusts, which is normally a couple of rounds, 4 max...
    It could. But it can also just simply be, Mosley threw a good one, two combination.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he is going to drop Floyd with a body shot.

Floyd will still win.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    I think he is going to drop Floyd with a body shot.

Floyd will still win.
    Well yeah. Vegas is pretty much Floyd's backyard. The cards will go in his favor in a close fight

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Canelo's best,and only great win, is over Trout. VD makes a good point though. He is only 22. It's crazy to think that he is fighting the best fighter in the world at 22. It's almost like Tyson. Even if he loses, he has 10 years of prime ahead of him. In fact, there's an argument he's not yet even in his prime?
    True.
    But not everyones prime lasts that long.
    Canelo might loose every fight after this and call it a day.
    A loss this young might ruin or define him.
    Floyd hasn't ruined a fighter in a long time, if ever though.

His prime might not be 10 years, but these days, many fighters fight well into their thirties, and not just Hopkins, but Calzaghe, Froch, Judah, even Malignaggi is pretty successful at 32. In any event, he has another 5-10 years of prime.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo has enough head movement to cause some trouble early. After that it's all money. 8-4 Mayweather.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It could. But it can also just simply be, Mosley threw a good one, two combination.
    It's a timing thing. It's absurd how good his timing is but evidently it must take a little while for Floyd to dial it in. Judah and even Ortiz showed that genuine hand speed early on is an actual obstacle for Floyd. He vowed to used more movement in the Cotto fight (presumably to offset this factor) but still ended up in a fair scrap.

I've always thought that patience but more-so persistence would be key against Floyd. If Canelo can insist on applying educated pressure regardless then it keeps him in the mix. Which is all he needs to be.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Canelo's best,and only great win, is over Trout. VD makes a good point though. He is only 22. It's crazy to think that he is fighting the best fighter in the world at 22. It's almost like Tyson. Even if he loses, he has 10 years of prime ahead of him. In fact, there's an argument he's not yet even in his prime?
    He could be a Vargas though.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Tam Seddon View Post
    He could be a Vargas though.
    I honestly don't think he's anywhere near as good as Vargas, but that's not fair to say yet as Fernando did peak so early. Most fighters who mature physically like that don't ever fight the big opponents before they burn out or lose focus etc, Vargas really was a tremendous young champion.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How do you think Trout would do against Floyd? Just curious.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wink Re: Canelo Alvarez credentials?

Quote Originally Posted by terrorsid View Post
    What credentials does Alvarez have? I've been trying to understand the most logical way for Canelo to win this fight and I got a head ache!!! What boxing tactics does he have that can beat Floyd? And how can he carry what ever skills he has into the late round with stamina issues? I'm just trying to understand, is it really logical to think that he is gonna do a 360 and and become a fighter with stamina that really could outbox Mayweather? Or are we just gonna believe that Canelo is gonna go beast mode and KO Floyd? Cause I think Mayweather is gonna use that defense and stick and move and run the whole fight and win a lack luster performance. A performance where Canelo will win 3 rounds then he will get outboxed. I'd bet on that
    As this fight draws nearer my certainty on the outcome has changed quite a bit and its the same with the Garcia/Matthysse fight. People are starting to talk like Alvarez is some one dimensional plodder which is pretty much a crock. That kid can fight and is deceptively fast for a big guy.

Somebody else was in a very similar situation as Alvarez finds himself in and at the time was very much the underdog given little chance. Can you guess who these two might be by filling in the blanks?
    Here is a bit of a blended version involving the original Ring report on the fight and a well used web site for stats.

______ was knocked down through the ropes in the eighth, being saved by the bell at the count of nine, after taking a right to the head and a left to the body. Referee _______ gave _______ five rounds including the last four. He gave _______ four and called one even. Two other judges gave the same scores. The much heavier ________ charged _______ at every opportunity with bull-like rushes and out pointed _______ by most accounts. ________ tried to outbox his shorter opponent but had a lot of trouble keeping him at bay.

This fight could share many of the above's qualities minus the Ref scoring and exit through the ropes.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    True.
    But not everyones prime lasts that long.
    Canelo might loose every fight after this and call it a day.
    A loss this young might ruin or define him.
    Floyd hasn't ruined a fighter in a long time, if ever though.

His prime might not be 10 years, but these days, many fighters fight well into their thirties, and not just Hopkins, but Calzaghe, Froch, Judah, even Malignaggi is pretty successful at 32. In any event, he has another 5-10 years of prime.
    it doesnt necessarily have to be a calzaghe lacy ruining, it could just be a defeat of any kind ends this elite fighter aura he has

if floyd beats him in every round without really giving him a hard beating where does he go from there?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by terrorsid View Post
    What credentials does Alvarez have? I've been trying to understand the most logical way for Canelo to win this fight and I got a head ache!!! What boxing tactics does he have that can beat Floyd? And how can he carry what ever skills he has into the late round with stamina issues? I'm just trying to understand, is it really logical to think that he is gonna do a 360 and and become a fighter with stamina that really could outbox Mayweather? Or are we just gonna believe that Canelo is gonna go beast mode and KO Floyd? Cause I think Mayweather is gonna use that defense and stick and move and run the whole fight and win a lack luster performance. A performance where Canelo will win 3 rounds then he will get outboxed. I'd bet on that
    As this fight draws nearer my certainty on the outcome has changed quite a bit and its the same with the Garcia/Matthysse fight. People are starting to talk like Alvarez is some one dimensional plodder which is pretty much a crock. That kid can fight and is deceptively fast for a big guy.

Somebody else was in a very similar situation as Alvarez finds himself in and at the time was very much the underdog given little chance. Can you guess who these two might be by filling in the blanks?
    Here is a bit of a blended version involving the original Ring report on the fight and a well used web site for stats.

______ was knocked down through the ropes in the eighth, being saved by the bell at the count of nine, after taking a right to the head and a left to the body. Referee _______ gave _______ five rounds including the last four. He gave _______ four and called one even. Two other judges gave the same scores. The much heavier ________ charged _______ at every opportunity with bull-like rushes and out pointed _______ by most accounts. ________ tried to outbox his shorter opponent but had a lot of trouble keeping him at bay.

This fight could share many of the above's qualities minus the Ref scoring and exit through the ropes.
    I don't think he is a slow plodder...but we have no idea how he will handle a brilliant mover and technician like Mayweather. Canelo's resume is thin. Trout is the biggest name on his win list (a washed up, gun shy Mosley is not). Trout is a good fighter...but no where near being a great one like Floyd. Add to that...their fight was in front of a 100% pro Alvarez crowd with a disgraceful scoring system in place (the ONLY way Trout would have won that fight was to KO Canelo)....and Alvarez still didn't exactly win resoundingly. Canelo is a very good young fighter...with the POTENTIAL to be a great one. But he is taking a huge step up not only in opposition...but also in regards to the stage. It will be an exciting fight and Floyd will be pushed. But i think Mayweather shows up BIG TIME for this one.
    Last edited by zhubin; 09-12-2013 at 11:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We will see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power