Thread: Dawson vs Ward on HBO - Saturday night fight thread

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dawson vs Ward on HBO Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Dawson has the whole toolbox set except for the heart. For this sole reason, I wouldn't bet a dime on him.
    I agree but sometimes I wonder if its heart or some kind of attention disorder. Like Judah its as if he starts to watch the fight instead of fight it. This could be a dud but it could also turn out to be a pretty dam good technical boxing match. Ward has never faced a southpaw with Chads skill level. The question of course for me is weight. After being at 175 for 6 years he would have put on muscle mass that stayed unlike Pascal who jumped back and forth constantly. I don't really think the weight is a big deal for the two classes unless you stay to long in one. Dawson could make history here and in many ways is in a no lose situation. Nobody in history has done this before Jones/Ruiz not withstanding. I just think its going to weaken him. If he pulls it out against this opponent it would be monumental.
    I know what Ward is going to do, smother Dawson's punches and be the agressor. A typical SOG foulfest, stinkfest in front of his homies.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Dawson has the whole toolbox set except for the heart. For this sole reason, I wouldn't bet a dime on him.
    I agree but sometimes I wonder if its heart or some kind of attention disorder. Like Judah its as if he starts to watch the fight instead of fight it. This could be a dud but it could also turn out to be a pretty dam good technical boxing match. Ward has never faced a southpaw with Chads skill level. The question of course for me is weight. After being at 175 for 6 years he would have put on muscle mass that stayed unlike Pascal who jumped back and forth constantly. I don't really think the weight is a big deal for the two classes unless you stay to long in one. Dawson could make history here and in many ways is in a no lose situation. Nobody in history has done this before Jones/Ruiz not withstanding. I just think its going to weaken him. If he pulls it out against this opponent it would be monumental.
    I know what Ward is going to do, smother Dawson's punches and be the agressor. A typical SOG foulfest, stinkfest in front of his homies.
    That could pretty much happen.

As for Dawson's fight, I was there in the red section when he did fight Pascal, he had his chance to win this fight but once he did receive 2-3 good punches from PAscal, he got wayyy calmer and stopped being busy.. and that did cost him the match, like if a few good punches did sucked away his will to fight. It could be an attention problem but I tend to think that the real thing is rooted deeper.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Andre Ward is the worst thing since the Iraq war and thus I hope Dawson beats him up and induces a cut that needs multiple stitches. I would also quite like Dawson to do one of those Calzaghe esque faux buggery moves as well.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Billy Goat Chronicles:

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dawson looks a lot taller than Ward, he has a longer reach too. This will cause Ward some problems and it will be very interesting how he solves them.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ward is a 4/1 favorite and although that seems a little high, he is a very difficult man to beat.

He will establish himself as the boss in there early and make it an ugly, but effective fight. Ward has more fire in him than Dawson.

I see a Ward UD, I'd be very surprised if this fight ended in a KO either way.

Now watch Dawson score a KO
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Ward is a 4/1 favorite and although that seems a little high, he is a very difficult man to beat.

He will establish himself as the boss in there early and make it an ugly, but effective fight. Ward has more fire in him than Dawson.

If I had couple hundred extra to lay on Dawson, I might do it, I like those odds. Dawson is capable of winning, even though it won't be easy to get a decision in Oakland.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

If I had couple hundred extra to lay on Dawson, I might do it, I like those odds. Dawson is capable of winning, even though it won't be easy to get a decision in Oakland.
    Agree -- those odds are really wide. I'd call it more like a 3:2 fight.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dawson looks fit as a fiddle and not drained at all. He made 168 on the first attempt. I am cheering for him and now I may bet on him. Noticeable size over Ward also.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dawson looks fit as a fiddle and not drained at all. He made 168 on the first attempt. I am cheering for him and now I may bet on him. Noticeable size over Ward also.

Hardly recognizable with no hair on his head and that goatee. He looks pretty dry to me, but in a good way -- he will rehydrate to heavier than Ward for sure. He's noticeably leaner.

If the level of this challenge gets Chad up and focused and determined enough to go a full 12 without the usual lapses in effort, he could definitely take this. He's the best opponent Ward's ever had by a mile, IMO.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post

Hardly recognizable with no hair on his head and that goatee. He looks pretty dry to me, but in a good way -- he will rehydrate to heavier than Ward for sure. He's noticeably leaner.

If the level of this challenge gets Chad up and focused and determined enough to go a full 12 without the usual lapses in effort, he could definitely take this. He's the best opponent Ward's ever had by a mile, IMO.
    I'm not saying noticeably bigger by the photo although I do see it but the weigh in and he did not look dry at all beyond normal. I honestly don't think he had that many issues making weight if any. Now looks are deceiving of course but his die hard fans which I am not one of cant use starvation as an excuse if he gets throttled. Wards in for a test here. As sad as Chad can be at times, Ward has never seen an elite southpaw.

The historical significance here is unreal if he were to pull it off.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dawson vs Ward on HBO - Saturday night fight thread

This card starts @ 9:45 PM ET tomorrow night or 2:45 AM in the UK for any of you Brit night owls.

Sept. 8
    At Oakland, Calif. (HBO): Andre Ward vs. Chad Dawson, 12 rounds, for Ward's WBC/WBA super middleweight title; Antonio DeMarco vs. John Molina, 12 rounds, for DeMarco's WBC lightweight title.

HBO: Boxing: Home

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    I think Andre Ward is the worst thing since the Iraq war and thus I hope Dawson beats him up and induces a cut that needs multiple stitches. I would also quite like Dawson to do one of those Calzaghe esque faux buggery moves as well.
    Something we can agree on @Gandalf, maybe you should stick to boxing for a while instead of baffling us with your high degree of intelligence in off topic and let's get it on.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Really looking forward to this card! At the end of the day both guys have multiple gears. I think this one comes totally down to Dawsons mentality and approach. At range firing off combos with ill will he could catch Ward trying to be cute. He's had advantages before in bouts but would fall back into that coast mode. Hopefully after Hopkins his mind has sharpened it's edge.

DeMarco and Molina should be a shoot out and very possibly steals the show!!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

balls. I went to the shop to buy beer for this but got distracted and bought half price lucozade instead

Thread Information