Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Juan Manuel Lopez: Another Bautista for Ponce De Leon?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Juan Manuel Lopez: Another Bautista for Ponce De Leon?

Will Juanma be another Bautista type victim n fighting Ponce? He's got the record but has he had Ponce type opponents. I think if he tries to go out and KO Ponce he'll be in for a left surprise. Is it to early for Juanma at this stage in his career? On the flip side, i read Ponce and Penalosa ran into each other at the Pac-JMM fight and he's willing to go to the Pilipines later on this year counting on a good purse. He best not overlook Juanma Lopez first. Definitely looking forward to seeing this fight on the Pavlik-Lockett card in June.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Juan Manuel Lopez: Another Bautista for Ponce De Leon?

Juanma is a smart fighter, with all around boxing skills and beyond his years composure in the ring, and more importantly, POWER. Ponce has no kind of style but to come forward and throw bombs. Technical boxers can succeed against Ponce and the fact that Juanma is a technical boxer with POWER makes me confident that he can and will pull off the upset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rican View Post
    Juanma is a smart fighter, with all around boxing skills and beyond his years composure in the ring, and more importantly, POWER. Ponce has no kind of style but to come forward and throw bombs. Technical boxers can succeed against Ponce and the fact that Juanma is a technical boxer with POWER makes me confident that he can and will pull off the upset.
    Bautista had a way more suspect defense than Juanma. He was there to be hit, and got hit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think JJLopez has at least a pretty good chance against De Leon. I thought the same thing of Bautista but I'm a little confident that Lopez is more prepared at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rican View Post
    In the videos i've seen, JML fights going forward which exposes his POWER more. I think a run around will diminish his POWER. It will be very interesting to see that POWER clash between his and Ponce's. At some point during the fight they will trade some bombs.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think JuanMas a more complete fighter then Rey was when he stepped in the ring that day in Aug.

I can def. see JuanMa using ring generalship.

One thing is for certain the LAST thing that JuanMa needs to be doing is trading shots with DPDL.

JuanMa needs to be smart and use the entire ring. That's proven to cause DPDL lot's of problems.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rey Bautista just plain wasn't ready for Ponce De Leon. I was very unimpressed with Bautista in his fight on the PBF - DLH undercard, you could tell he hadn't learned how to use the ring yet, didn't know how to space his punches or how to hold distance from a dangerous opponent and PDL simply exposed this. No surprises there.

Juan Manuel Lopez is ready for this type of step up. He has been ready for a while. You wouldn't ideally like to see him fight a guy who's power ranks with the best P4P in boxing, but that's who represents a step up in that division so Lopez is just going to have to get around that power.

I think he will. It's going to be tough and is a bit scary seeing as how Lopez is a naturally aggressive guy and De Leon is the last guy you want to be overly aggressive with but if anyone has the tools to do it, it's Lopez. Very sharp, has a hugely diverse punch arsenal, mixes up his combos, always has his opponents at the end of his straight punches, especially that straight left hand and he has an impressive body attack to boot.

I'd say his only real weakness at this point is he knows how good he is, and sometimes he gets a bit careless and doesn't show much respect for his opponent in terms of protecting himself, that's gotten him caught flush before. I would think that wouldn't be a problem in this fight.

This is going to be one to watch, it's one punch to end it for Ponce De Leon and Lopez, in order to win, can't make any mistakes. That sounds like a tall order but I haven't yet seen Lopez and not been floored.

Two electrifying fighters. No doubt Ponce De Leon is going to be looking to send yet another message, and I'm sure the fact that people are picking Lopez will light a fire under him. Can't wait for this.

At any rate, no matter the outcome, Lopez is not another Bautista. Lopez is special.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree Lopez is a better fighter than Bautista. But he's not a good enough boxer to avoid De Leon shots all night. I think De Leon stops him in 5.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been following Juan Manuel Lopez for years he's a bloody good fighter, right handed southpaw, rangy and a great combination puncher, the southpaw v southpaw match up could be all wrong for De Leon. I'm backing him. Caballero was all wrong for De Leon and although he is extremely different he could take a lot of tips from that fight and use them himself.
    Last edited by yoitsdan; 03-28-2008 at 09:43 AM.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've seen the comparison before and I don't agree, like I said on another post before Bautista most likely was never gonna be ready. It might be too early for JuanMa but I'm thinking lately it won't be, that could be wishful thinking but I think he could come out of it looking like a future star. We'll see I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I believe the key to victory for Juanma is to remain calm, not starting crazy exchanges early, counter puncher with his short right hook (very potent, hard to see). The ones that are saying that Juanma only has power going forward have not seen him winning by KO with that right hook.

Honestly, initially I believed that it was too early for Juanma, and that he needed 2 or 3 more fights and it may be heart is cheating on me, but I believe he can win.
    Puerto Rico, Small Island, Big Champions!!!

Thread Information