Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Cotto v Geale Thread

Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been biting my lip here, but fuck it, I reckon Geale is gonna beat him. Have they weighed in yet?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto v Geale Thread

90 minutes until the weigh-in for on his tweet

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Miguel Cotto Brings the Brawl to Brooklyn

On Saturday, and for the second week in a row, the Barclays Center in Brooklyn will play host to big-time boxing. Last Friday, Amir Khan ignited enough combinations to win a unanimous decision over Chris Algieri. “King Kong” has never been known as the king of fistic excitement, but this was a thrilling contest. It was also one that will add muscle to Khan’s resume–a resume that Khan fervently hopes will make him Floyd Mayweather Jr. next opponent.

Tomorrow, Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32 knockouts) will be aiming his potent left hook at the body and cranium of Australian Daniel Geale (31-3, 16 knockouts).

Cotto is a longtime resident of Caguas, Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico has produced as many boxing greats per capita as any place in the world and Cotto is one of the most popular Puerto Ricans fighters in history.

A veteran of epic brawls with Pacquiao, Mayweather, Mosley, and Martinez, the tattooed 34-year-old pugilist, with the glint of a Spartan warrior, is one of a tiny cadre of combatants who can flatten an opponent and make him a millionaire at the same time.

In this HBO telecast tussle, Cotto will be defending his WBC middleweight world championship. The weight limit for middies is 160 pounds. But Cotto’s heavyweight ability to put spectators in seats gives him the leverage to set the terms. Intent on annoying and siphoning off some of Geale’s strength, the Cotto team demanded that this fight take place at a catchweight of 157. There is some concern as to whether or not Geale can come down that low.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The promoter, Gary Shaw, said, “Miguel has not directly threatened me with this, but Cotto would be within his contractual rights to walk away from the fight if Geale is unable to make weight.” Unlike most catchweight contracts, this one does not include any financial penalties for failing to make weight.

Cotto is a converted southpaw with a jack hammer jab and one of the most punishing left hooks in the bruising business. An offensive juggernaut, Cotto has also developed a formidable straight right.

A recent knockout victim of Gennady Golovkin, Geale is two inches taller than his foe and enjoys a substantial reach advantage. The spirited Aussie is a busy fighter with a respectable jab and good footwork. It is, however, unlikely that he will be able to keep the relentless Cotto at arm’s length. When Cotto breaks the perimeter, Geale will probably try to deal with his shorter rival with uppercuts; however, that will leave him open to the kind of hooks that could easily render Geale horizontal.

Cotto’s trainer Freddie Roach said, “Geale is the naturally bigger guy. We are ready for anything. We are prepared for him to try to impose his size. And if he wants to box we are ready for that too.”

Peering into his crystal ball Roach predicted, “I see Miguel winning by knockout in the late rounds.”

If Cotto passes the Geale test, it will most likely be on to a mega-bout with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, and then perhaps a final exam with that other middleweight champion, Gennady Golovkin.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

War Miguel !!!!!!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto 153.6 and Geale 157 and he looks weight drained

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto has the weight advantage in ink alone. The guy is starting to look like a colorful Mardi gras float. Geale looks like a guy who just read the script and refused a blindfold as he's being marched in. I like Cotto, I really do...but I hope he gets his half ass kicked acting like this. Poser.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I want Cotto to win, I can forgive him for his diva attitude for his first defence.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Geale looks awful. Guess that's how you pretend to be a MW, fighting people that look like they were pulled from a refugee camp. I've always liked Cotto but I'm done with him. It's been years of diva BS and Roach deck stacking. This whole "rebirth" is a sham, might as well travel in a side show cart. It's time for Cotto to go if he can fit his head into a plane door. And it's time for Roach to take his racist lying deck stacking ways to a hospital where he can lie to nurses instead of boxing fans dreaming what he says is true.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow, this has a horrible looking undercard. Seems pretty much a one fight show tonight.

Thread Information