Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackvenom-2001's Work-out Log: The road back to fighting shap!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Blackvenom-2001's Work-out Log: The road back to fighting shap!!

Totaled my R6 Yamaha at the end of November 2007. Was going 55 mph when I slammed it down on the asphalt. I have been out of the gym for about two months... this is my workout log on the way back to fighting shape.

Did three light to medium workouts last week and sparred on Friday night (which didn't go to well, but what can you expect)... and started back into my work-out routine hard this week.

I gained 15 lbs while I was off... and am dealing with some residual stiffness in my right hip... but nothing that should slow me down or that will not go away eventually.

Weight on 1/7/2008 = 205 lbs.
    Target Weight by March of 2008 = 190 lbs.

1/14/08

Weight = 202 lbs.

4 x 3 minute shadow boxing rounds (1 Min Rests)

100 weighted arm circles (out in front - 50 forward, 50 reverse)
    No rest
    100 weighted arm circles (to the side 50 forward, 50 reverse)
    No rest
    100 weighted arm circles (overhead 50 forward, 50 reverse)
    No rest
    25 Pull-backs
    No rest
    25 Kick-backs
    No rest
    25 Up downs

5 Minute rest

3 x 3 Minute Partner and Pads (1 Minute between rounds and after 3 rounds switched to pads for partner to work) Worked on really leaning on my partner and making him push me off of him to get his punches in... very physical pad workout!

Stations (30 seconds each x 5 Rotations)

Heavy Bag Punch Out - 3 x 30 seconds left jab (1 minute rests)
    Heavy Bag Punch Out - 2 x 30 seconds left hook: high & low (1 minute rests)
    Heavy Bag Punch Out - 3 x 30 seconds right cross (1 minute rests)

1/15/08

Weight = 201 lbs

Cardio, Endurance, Mental Endurance

Warm Up... 1.5 mile run approximately 14 to 15 min

5 Min rest

Max Pain Revolutions x 5

3 Min jump roap
    1 Min shadow box
    25 bicep curls (25 lbs each side plus bar)
    25 incline situps
    .250 miles on treadmill at 12 mph... freaking feels like lungs are going to rupture...
    25 incline bench-press (35 lbs each arm)

1 minute Rest and Repeat

Made it through the entire workout except for the last three .250 miles at 12 mph were shortned... just couldn't do it yet!

Blackvenom-2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Blackvenom-2001's Work-out Log: The road back to fighting shap!!

1/16/08

My off night...

Ballet Class - 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
    EMT Class 7:00 PM - 10:00 PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1/17/08

As I am still not even close to being back in shape I decided to take Thursday night pretty light as I did not want too be too stiff and sore tonight when I head into the club to spar... so I did not train until complete failure last night... and took it pretty easy... haha... but am still feeling a little stiff and sore today...

Had to run indoors on the treadmill last night as we got 5 inches of snow during the day here...

Got into the gym at 7:00 PM and worked out until 9:30 PM

Warm Up - 2 miles x 15 Min

3 X 3 Min Jump Rope
    10 X 2 Min Shadow Boxing
    2 X 50 Incline Sit-Ups
    1 x 25 Incline Dumbbell press - 35 lbs
    1 x 20 Preacher curles - 50 lbs

Didn't really pay attention to rest periods... but know that I kept my heart rate elevated most of the time I was at the gym... spent a good bit of time working on technical stuff... but still tried to keep light on my feet and keep my heart rate up...

Worked on combinations off of slips... Worked on foot work and setting up combinations coming off of a slip into a southpaw stance and leading back into things with a right jab... sort of tricky timing for me right now as I am not feeling too light on my feet yet... but I'm going to try to see if it will work in sparring tonight... haha... might be a huge disaster... lol... but it's something I want to try...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1/18/08

Friday Night Sparring

Weight = 207 lbs...

WTF... how did I go from 201 up to 207 while eating less then normal and exercising twice as hard. Oh well... I know I haven't gotten serious about my diet yet so... seeing that weight jump will be enough to make me serious about cutting calories and eating right... last time I had to drop weight I waited to long before I started to get serious about it and the last three weeks before the fight were pretty miserable...

3 x 3 Minute Rounds Light Sparring... felt good tonight... probably the best I have felt in the ring in a long time... still have some issues that are giving me a fit... but know what they are and so I do have a game plan for correcting the problems...

1/19/07

1.5 Mile Warm Up - 11:15

Stations
    15 - Preacher Curls - 65 lbs
    4 Min - Jump Rope
    50 - Sit-Ups on the incline plus 10 lbs
    .25 Miles at 12 mph = 75 Secs - 5 Minute mile pace...
    25 - Incline Bench Press with Dumb Bells - 35 lbs
    2 Min - Shadow Box with 1 lb weights
    4 Min - Stretch

Rest

Managed to get through 4 rotations before I said I can't do any more...

1/20/08

Sunday - Rest Day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1/21/07

Monday... I'm pissed... had new living room furniture delivered to my apartment. Have been living with crappy furniture since my split with my ex-wife in 2005 so finally got some good stuff. Anyway... the delivery guys were suppose to be at my appartment by 6 PM... they did not show up until 8 PM... I did not get a workout in last night...

The real pisser was that last night was the only night this week that suited to drive the hour that it takes me to get to my boxing club... the rest of the week I will have to spend in the gym that I have here in my local town...

The only good news is that the gym owner is going to help me hang a 100 lb heavy-bag. The heavy bag should be in to the local sports store in about six or seven days...

I will still be able to go down to the boxing club on Friday night and sparr... so am looking forward to that very much...

Still really, really pissed that I didn't get a good workout in...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1/22/07

Didn't have too much time to work-out tonight as I had prior commitments... those commitments being to a 5'4" blonde that is pretty smokin... and makes great money... so can't blow her completely off...

Anyway had about 45 minutes to work out right after work...

1.5 miles x 11:01 Min

5 min rest and stretch...

15 x 65lbs preacher curls...

3 min jump rope
    1 min situps on incline with 25 lb weight... worked on explosive movements...
    3 min jump rope
    1 min incline press with 35 lb dumbbells... once again worked on exploding up and slow down
    3 min jump rope
    1 min running on treadmill at 12 mph
    3 min jump rope

Not a very good workout night again... and that sucks... didn't do any shadowboxing...

I'm still working on mainly just getting my body back into shape... once I get that accomplished then will work more on technique and repetitions... I figure another week to two weeks if I keep working out should get me back into pretty good shape...

Workout completed in 35 minutes... got to the local gym at 5:30 PM and left at 6:10 PM... so definitely kept things going while I was there...

One of my goals is to be able to complete 5 of the above circuits in 1 hour and 35 minutes... thats 15 min for each circuit and five minute rest between each circuit... when I can do that... I should be in pretty good shape...

And yes... the rest of the evening went nicely...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1/23/08

My off night...

Ballet Class - 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
    EMT Class 7:00 PM - 10:30 PM

Would have went into the gym after my EMT class but was really tired from lack of sleep from the night before... haha... get your mind out of the gutter. Just stayed out to late...

I am stiff and sore from my Ballet class this morning... who would think that so much pain could be inflicted upon a person in an hour. I know that probably sounds funny coming from a guy that boxes... but honestly I think my dance instructor takes great pride in trying to torture me... know that I am suppose to be this big bad man... and yet she can make me whimper in pain at some of the stretches and movements that she puts us through... but I am gaining so much in the way of flexibility, balance, and agility... have definitely seen big gains from this...

Tonight I have a big decision to make... I want to hit the gym hard... but I also want to spar harde tomorrow night... and don't know if I can do both. If I work out too hard tonight, then I won't be worth a crap tomorrow night... but if I don't work out hard tomorrow night then I will have basically just have floated through the week with no hard workouts...

I'm thinking a moderate workout tonight... spar tomorrow night... then a killer workout on Saturday...

Blackvenom-2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1/24/08

1.5 Mile x 10:59 Warm-up

Five Min Rest

15 x 65 lbs Preacher Curls

3 min jump rope
    1 min situps on decline with 25 lb weight...
    3 min jump rope
    1 min incline press with 35 lb dumbbells...
    3 min jump rope
    3 min jump rope

5 Min Rest

Four 3 minute rounds of shadow boxing at full speed... planning for Friday night sparring... 1 min rests

After 1st round - Heart rate = 162
    At end of 1 min rest = 114
    After 2nd round - Heart rate = 165
    At end of 1 min rest = 112
    After 3rd round - Heart rate = 160
    At end of 1 min rest = 116
    After 4th round - Heart rate = 168

Five min rest

15 x 65 lbs - preacher curls

3 min jump rope

40 situp with 25lbs on decline

20 x with 35 lb dumbbells... on incline bench

Stretched for five minutes and done...

Started workout at 7 PM and left the gym at 9 PM...stayed around and talked a little bit to some of the guys there...

I'm feeling a little stiff and sore today... and can tell my muscles have not fully recovered from last nights work-out so worked out a little bit harder then what I had planned... but I think once I get to the boxing club tonight and warm up that I shouldn't be slowed down to much... we shall see. I'm really looking forward to getting down to the boxing club tonight... haven't saw the guys since last Friday night...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1/25/08

Weight 205 and holding...

Sparring went as crappy as it can get... I was on my heels and on the brakes the entire time... felt tense, tight, no energy, no snap... I don't know if it was because of the workout on Thursday night or if it was from staying out to late on Thursday night and not getting enough sleep... I think it was a combination of the two... but probably more of the latter then the first... no more going out on Thursday nights...

1/26/08 - Rest
    1/27/08 - Rest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1/28/08

Went skiing for 5 hours... definitely used a different set of muscle groups but not that stiff and sore this morning...

It's amazing how fast everything comes back... just like riding a bike... by the end of the night was catching some sick air. The snow was fast...some ice... but just made it faster, albeit a little trickier but I have good edges so no big deal...

Stayed on the diamonds the entire time... definitely felt the legs burning.

Living and loving life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1/30/08

Weight = 203 lbs

Drove the hour to the boxing club... got there at 6 PM

3 x 2 Min Rounds on Pads... then switched and held pads for my partner... I felt very fast last night even though my legs still felt like jello from skiing the night before.

The rest of the evening spent on various bag drills throughout the gym... mostly heavybag... but did get to all stations... basically 2 minutes on and 1 minute rests

Left the gym at 7:30 as they were closing up early last night...

Drove the hour back home... ate a BLT sandwich on whole wheat... haha... yea that's not such a great way to loose weight but it was good!

Decided I wanted to work out more and so headed over to the local gym... got there at 9 PM

3 min jump rope
    1 min situps on decline with 25 lb weight...
    3 min jump rope
    1 min incline press with 40 lb dumbbells...
    3 min jump rope
    3 min jump rope

Four 3 minute rounds of shadow boxing at full speed... planning for Friday night sparring... 1 min rests. I didn't monitor heart rate that much... the one time I did take it, was after the 2nd or 3rd round and my heart rate was 160.

Couple of things I noticed tonight... feels a lot more natural to throw a double left hook low and then go high as compared to throw high and then go low... timing just doesn't seem as easy... don't know why that is, I am going to have to study on this one...

Talked to a couple of the pro fighters in the gym... one of the pro fighters is interested in getting in more sparring time... so am I... so we might start meeting on Saturdays as well as Friday nights to spar.

Talked to a guy that owns the local MMA school/club in my hometown... they spar on Sunday... he said that if I came in on Sunday's that they would let me spar with them... but that they would only work on stand-up... wouldn't take me down... haha... I have no desire to be in a grappling match at this point...

Feeling good... it was a good workout... starting to get back into shape... now if I can just get my wind back it will all be good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1/31/08

Had to skip ballet class as my EMT class started ealier and couldn't miss it... so no workout last night... sucks...

EMT Class

6 PM - 10:45 PM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

<b>2/5/08</b>

Man where does the time go... I haven't updated my log since last week and it is already Wednesday.

The worst part is I can't remember what all I have actually done so am just going to leave it blank rather then go back and fill it all in...

Last night I went to the boxing club... was there from 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM.

I honestly think coach tried to kill us last night... said he had been noticing some of us slacking and that it was affecting our performance... hmmmm... I don't think he was talking about me... I work hard everytime I am there... it doesn't matter... the harder the workouts the better I feel afterwards... so i actually am enjoying feeling stiff and sore today...

I think the worst part of the entire workout was the fact that we did 16 min of stations... followed by one arm workouts... I threw so many left jabs last night that I thought I was going to just break down and cry like a little baby... and when we went through several sets of those... he switched us to left hooks... yea my coach is sadistic... lol... I love it...

Drove the hour back home... and a friend called and asked me to meet him at the local gym and went over there and got in a fairly hard workout with him...

Was there at the local gym from 9 PM to 10:30 PM

I am very stiff and sore today...

Blackvenom-2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

2/12/08

Weight = 203 lbs

Ok... so what I am finding out is that is a lot easier to go to the gym and workout every day then it is to keep this training log up to date... haha... guess I'm lazy in that department...

Yesterday however was the start of a new routine for myself... with a fight on March 28th it's time to get serious... my diet started yesterday... and my workout routine has changed significantly...

With over a month to go I should have no problem making weight at 193 lbs... and with over a month to go my new training routine should make sure that I'm ready to take and give a pounding...

Monday - Boxing Gym (5:30 PM - 7:45 PM)
    Tuesday - Tabata Workout and weights
    Wednesday - Endurance (Distance), Shadowboxing, and Bag Work

Thursday - Boxing Gym - Very light technical sparring
    Friday - Boxing Gym - Full contact sparring
    Saturday - The new boxing club - Full contact sparring
    Sunday - Valley Chute Boxing - Full contact sparring

It's a lot of sparring... but I need the ring time to get my reflexes back and to just get use to being back in the ring... as far as rest days are concerned... both Thursday and Sunday will be pretty light days really...

Thursday nights will basically just be a light warm-up and then the sparring will basically just be a walk-through... working on slips, pivots, and mostly counters

Sunday even though full contact will only consist of a couple of rounds... three at the most... and while it will be intense... won't really be a strain...

Blackvenom-2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This looks like a very strong and ambitious exercise regime, nice job!

I thought mine was tough, and your looks a bit more intense.

Is this to get in fighting shape for a fight?

Or fighting shape just to have the confidence, endurance and strength of knowing that you are in fighting shape (this is the category I fall in)

Got my nose BUSTED in sparring last night. I had a feeling that would happen because I was already mentally and physically exhausted from a long day..i demonstrated some of my weakest skills!

I really like to spar when Im feelling fresh nowadays. Im always sore from some workout that day or the day before, then do 45 mins are jumping rope, pad mitt, punching and moving. and I am a deadman by the time my favorite event is ready to start:SPARRING.

Sometimes I still manage to do well. Last night's sparring: not so well

Thread Information