Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who wins

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Kirkland vs Mayorga

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Kirkland vs Mayorga

James Kirkland Reunites With Trainer Ann Wolf, Fight With Ricardo Mayorga Close

This would be a great fight! Can you imagine the pre-fight press conferences

If it goes down...who ya got?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Kirkland vs Mayorga

Darn it, I was hoping Mayorga would retire. Still, I think he can knock Kirkland out going on recent form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm willing to bet the ref will get KO'ed in that fight. They both throw some wild punches!!!
    I'll go with Mayorga by KO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Going off each of thier last fights i would have to go with Mayorga. Kirkland looked like absolute shit his last fight.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A guy with no movement , gets hit flush and shakey legs with zero diversity...talking about Kirkland here...can't see anything but Mayorga destroying him.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirkland gets knocked out in his last fight by a guy with little punching power and now he wants to fight Ricardo Mayorga ?

Kirkland's best chance to beat people is to get them outta there early and nobody has been able to do that with Mayorga, not even Oscar or Tito.

Thus, if they fight it will be Kirkland who getn outta there early. And they won't be flash knockdowns either.

For once an easy fight for Mayorga !
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Kirkland has never really been anything special IMO, he's looked like crap last two outings especially since he was sparked in one last time out by a pillow puncher, IMO Mayorga spanks him something fierce

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

People were saying after Kirkland's last fight that not being with Ann Wolfe really hurt him because she pushed him so far beyond his limitations he could take it into the fight which added to that determination. I think it truly is a case of the trainer making the fighter. I'm not sure Mayorga is gonna knock him out this time, depends how he shows up in the ring, watching the fighter when he was trained by Wolfe and the one now is like night and day, it was like Tyson after he got rid of Rooney, so if he gets that determination and ferociousness back then i'd pick Kirkland by late stoppage.
    Last edited by Majesty; 05-13-2011 at 10:36 PM.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    People were saying after Kirkland's last fight that not being with Ann Wolfe really hurt him because she pushed him so far beyond his limitations he could take it into the fight which added to that determination. I think it truly is a case of the trainer making the fighter. I'm not sure Mayorga is gonna knock him out this time, depends how he shows up in the ring, watching the fighter when he was trained by Wolfe and the one now is like night and day, it was like Tyson after he got rid of Rooney, so if he gets that determination and ferociousness back then i'd pick Kirkland by late stoppage.
    problem with Kirkland is he's always thought that his punches are faster than they are, always has his hands low and is always wide open to the right hand, fuck he's open to any straight punches, even if he gets by Mayorga IMO any of the big names from 154 to 168 kick his ass easily,

Cotto
    Angulo
    Dzinziruk
    Cintron
    Williams

Martinez
    Pirog
    Sturm

Bute
    Ward
    Froch
    Abraham
    Kessler

all the guys mentioned put a clinic on the dude and i'm sure i missed a few

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    problem with Kirkland is he's always thought that his punches are faster than they are, always has his hands low and is always wide open to the right hand, fuck he's open to any straight punches, even if he gets by Mayorga IMO any of the big names from 154 to 168 kick his ass easily,

Cotto
    Angulo
    Dzinziruk
    Cintron
    Williams

Martinez
    Pirog
    Sturm

Bute
    Ward
    Froch
    Abraham
    Kessler

all the guys mentioned put a clinic on the dude and i'm sure i missed a few
    Angulo and Cintron I'm not so sure about putting on a clinic, Williams is good, but he has shown that he likes to slug and leave himself open just as much as the other.

Actually Kirkland against any of them at 154 (depending how he looks his next fight) would be a good fight. The fact is he's walked through harder punches than the last guy he fought, it was that determination when trained well that carried him through fights like that along with his trainer.

Cotto I would agree with. Never watched much of Dzinziruk unless he was that guy on Shobox that jabbed all the time and i stopped watching after the 4th round.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeh I think Wolfe does nothing but help him. But huge difference with Tyson is that for all intents and purposes he was a 'complete' package when he jumped ship from Rooney, skills were at peak I believe. Had that to lead way even when mentality waned then. Kirkland is really quite green and his legs look short circuited when caught clean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i'll go with kirkland by ko. ishida caught him with a straight shot, mayos loopimg shots wont work here. kirkland is also the bigger man.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Pavlik View Post
    i'll go with kirkland by ko. ishida caught him with a straight shot, mayos loopimg shots wont work here. kirkland is also the bigger man.
    That is a good point, I was thinking about that.

But, did you see Kirklands fight right before he lost to Ishida ? He fought a Colombian journeyman who fought A LOT like Mayorga, and that drunken bastard ROCKED Kirkland with a looping shot.

Mayorga is too much too soon after a prospect coming off a first loss, and a 1st round TKO loss at that.

Gotta admire Kirkland if he takes this fight. Shows a lot of balls.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Thread Information