Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ono's guide to building muscle - Biceps

Share/Bookmark
    El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Ono's guide to building muscle - Biceps

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Lyle all muscles cotract whether Abduct or adduct they all contract.
    I'm saying when you extend your arm is when the triceps are doing the work and the biceps are relaxed. Ergo the triceps are a muscle group essential to extending your arms and the biceps are essential to contracting your arms and therefore the triceps would be more important to punching.

Hey working past "the burn" is what Ah-nold said is what builds muscles....who am I to argue with him Go watch 'Pumping Iron'

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I'm saying when you extend your arm is when the triceps are doing the work and the biceps are relaxed. Ergo the triceps are a muscle group essential to extending your arms and the biceps are essential to contracting your arms and therefore the triceps would be more important to punching.

Hey working past "the burn" is what Ah-nold said is what builds muscles....who am I to argue with him Go watch 'Pumping Iron'
    Actually for punching I believe the arms should be brought along as one unit, not neglecting any area.
    Then work on the more important ares like shoulders and chest.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Correct Donny, the Triceps couldnt work without the Biceps balancing the action and vice versa like everything its a balancing act
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post

He also said that a pump is better than an orgasm

Anyway it's not. You could achieve a burn by curling a tin of beans 100 times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Isn't the point of doing high rep exercises and high intensity to improve your lactic acid threshold and improve the ability to remove lactic acid from your muscles? If you don't do any high repetition work your going to get sore very quickly. Like why many gym rats can hardly do 100 body weight squats in a row.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Isn't the point of doing high rep exercises and high intensity to improve your lactic acid threshold and improve the ability to remove lactic acid from your muscles? If you don't do any high repetition work your going to get sore very quickly. Like why many gym rats can hardly do 100 body weight squats in a row.
    You don't need to improve your lactic acid threshold and you don't need to improve you're body's ability to remove it. It's not as detrimental as once thought. Infact endurance training will improve the capacity to use lactic acid as a fuel during exercise.

So Lactic Acid is actually used as fuel by your body. lactic acid (for ref)

Muscle cells convert glucose/glycogen to lactic acid and it is then used for energy (by the mitochondria).

Endurance training increases the mass of the muscle mitochrondria, which in turn lets you burn more lactic acid.
    See:

Gina Kolata suggests more endurance training: “Running longer and longer distances, for example, increases the mass of [an athlete’s] muscle mitochondria, letting them burn more lactic acid and allowing the muscle to work harder and longer.” Almost as an afterthought she adds, “Just before a race, coaches often tell athletes to train very hard in brief spurts.”

That should explain why you don't see many gym rats who can do 100 body squats. Endurance athletes tend to have more slow twitch muscle fibers. Slow twitch muscle fibers have more mitochondria.
    Last edited by ono; 06-20-2008 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added a reference for easier explanation....hopefully

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go back and read the Biochemistry of Exercise,then come back and tell us it again.

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Go back and read the Biochemistry of Exercise,then come back and tell us it again.
    That's from 1999. This discovery is apparently quite new.

If you don't believe me, read these

Lactic acid, myths,legends and reality - the ABC - A Time-to-Run - Exercise Physiology scientific aspects of various topics that interest runners

Feel the Pain? Don't Blame Lactic Acid | LiveScience

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/he...ion/16run.html

CoryHolly.com - Articles - Lactic Acid: Friend of Foe?

What's your view on it?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know where youre coming from ono as regards Lactic Shuttle as regards Boxing everything is working and the reproduction is working overtime thats my problem will pm you.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I know where youre coming from ono as regards Lactic Shuttle as regards Boxing everything is working and the reproduction is working overtime thats my problem will pm you.
    Nice one mate

I shall have a look.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

u ever gonna get around to making the back thread ono? or was this the last of the last

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by southpawed View Post
    u ever gonna get around to making the back thread ono? or was this the last of the last
    Yeh i will be doing. I'm going away to spain tomorrow tho so it'll have to wait til i get back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    You don't need to improve your lactic acid threshold and you don't need to improve you're body's ability to remove it. It's not as detrimental as once thought. Infact endurance training will improve the capacity to use lactic acid as a fuel during exercise.

Muscle cells convert glucose/glycogen to lactic acid and it is then used for energy (by the mitochondria).

Endurance training increases the mass of the muscle mitochrondria, which in turn lets you burn more lactic acid.
    See:

Gina Kolata suggests more endurance training: “Running longer and longer distances, for example, increases the mass of [an athlete’s] muscle mitochondria, letting them burn more lactic acid and allowing the muscle to work harder and longer.” Almost as an afterthought she adds, “Just before a race, coaches often tell athletes to train very hard in brief spurts.”

That should explain why you don't see many gym rats who can do 100 body squats. Endurance athletes tend to have more slow twitch muscle fibers. Slow twitch muscle fibers have more mitochondria.
    Sorry man I guess I was ill advised, just had a quick read through of one site and it suggested a pH buffer such as Bicarbonate soda for better endurance in muscles. Anyone tried this? Could be mighty benefitial if it works.
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post

See:

Sorry man I guess I was ill advised, just had a quick read through of one site and it suggested a pH buffer such as Bicarbonate soda for better endurance in muscles. Anyone tried this? Could be mighty benefitial if it works.
    a soda that can eliminate the burn?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They experimented maybe 20 years ago on this with alka seltsar. It was for a short time, it all came about with the runner Sidney Marie who having idegestion one day was given Alka Seltzer as a relief. They found his times were much faster than he had ever done and that it broke down lactic acid, the only drawback was it could give you a Heart attack. Lovely

Thread Information