Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The great Mike McCallum!

Mike McCallum is one of those fighters that don't start getting there respect until there retired all those fights you just put up show Mike McCallums greatness in different ways........

The Julian Jackson fight showed he could take an amazing shot and you also witnessed his body punching barrage which made him famous........

The Michael Watson fight showed he could travel and still dominate a good opponent like Michael Watson he just made Michael Watson look stupid and remember Michael Watson was just coming off beating Nigel Benn.........

And the Donald Curry fight showed he had one punch KO power and he could comeback from losing as i remember it Donald Curry was outboxing Mike McCallum but Mike McCallum showed his greatness by coming back and finishing in style.......

Mike McCallum was truly and great craftsman with an awesome body attack and great chin.
    Last edited by ssss; 08-27-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ssss View Post
    Mike McCallum is one of those fighters that don't start getting there respect until there retired all those fights you just put up show Mike McCallums greatness in different ways........

The Julian Jackson fight showed he could take an amazing shot and you also witnessed his body punching barrage which made him famous........

The Michael Watson fight showed he could travel and still dominate a good opponent like Michael Watson he just made Michael Watson look stupid and remember Michael Watson was just coming off beating Nigel Benn.........

And the Donald Curry fight showed he had one punch KO power and he could comeback from losing as i remember it Donald Curry was outboxing Mike McCallum but Mike McCallum showed his greatness by coming back and finishing in style.......

Mike McCallum was truly and great craftsman with an awesome body attack and great chin.
    He was a great fighter. The reason he did not get the attention he deserved at the time is because he spent much of it surrounded by huge names underneath him and above him in weight classes. He eventually moved up and got some good fights when he got older, and still made a great account of himself even when past his prime.
    Last edited by Deanrw; 08-27-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was a world traveler also. He fought everywhere.

US - Multiple Times
    Italy - multiple times
    UK - multiple times
    France - Multiple times
    Germany
    Monaco
    Jamaica
    (list from my Boxrec banditry. I knew he fought everywhere, but not that often.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McCallum vs Hagler around 85-86 would have been a war!

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great interview from Mike on Setanta if someone knows how to load it on here.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

McCallum was such an underrated fighter. I don't think he ever really got his just due.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Steve Collins said Mike was the best he fought and he shared the ring with some greats . Bomber Graham pushed him close but he had teh style to give anyone fits

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe Calzaghe told setantasports.com that Herol Graham would have given him a harder fight than a peak Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Michael Watson or Steve Collins, though is in no doubt that he would beaten them all.
    The question is often pondered by boxing fans how Calzaghe would have got on against the prominent British and Irish middleweights/super middleweights in the era before he became world champion in 1997.
    After Collins retired rather than face him, Calzaghe first won the vacant WBO super middleweight title when he beat Eubank on points.
    Calzaghe bristles at the suggestion that Eubank would have given him a harder fight if he had fought him years earlier - suggesting the fact that the Brighton boxer was motivated against him made him more dangerous than during his own lengthy WBO super middleweight title reign.
    "I honestly think I faced a lot more dangerous a Chris Eubank, than the Eubank who fought Dan Sherry or [Ray] Close," Calzaghe told setantasports.com.
    "Why? Because Eubank wasn't motivated. Eubank was dangerous when he fought Watson and dangerous when he fought Benn.

"When he was the underdog when his back was against the wall he was a different animal.
    "When I fought him that time, people talk about him having problems making super middleweight but I've lost 14 pounds in a week to make the weight.
    "We've all done that. He was a dangerous fighter, he gave me one hell of a fight, but people didn't give me the credit, they gave him the credit for coming back.
    "That was my first 12 round fight. I'd done eight rounds twice and knocked everyone else out inside three, so on that aspect I don't think much would have been different if I'd fought Eubank [at his peak].
    "Don't forget I'm a lot better fighter now when I fought Eubank."
    As for Benn and Collins, the Pride of Wales believes neither would have been able to deal with the speed coming at them from a southpaw stance.
    "If I fought Benn, obviously he was a dangerous puncher but I think he'd have had a nightmare with my style," Calzaghe said. "The same with Collins."
    "It would have been a difficult fight, but I'd have beat him. I'd have beat them all."
    'Bomber' Graham lost a WBA middleweight world title tilt on a majority decision to the legendary Mike McCallum in 1989, then 18 months later when fighting for the WBC belt was stopped by the mother of all sucker punches by Julian Jackson. Then at the age of 38, against Charles Brewer when challenging for the IBF super middleweight crown in 1998 after having the American on the floor twice he was stopped in the tenth round.
    Four years later Brewer would give Calzaghe a tough night and the Welshman admits that at his peak Graham would have been one of his toughest fights, but believes his winning mentality would have ensured he finished victorious.
    "Herol Graham was awkward," Calzaghe admitted. "He'd probably have been the most awkward of all of them.
    "At the end of the day, when push came to shove he lost and that's the difference between a great champion, to have your back against the wall and find a way to win.
    "Maybe I'd have had a difficult time but I would have found a way to win."

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Little Story about Mike in the gym. When He Boxed Watson He used our Gym, brought His own Sparring Partner over with Him who was a good Fighter in his own right. Each day they Sparred, but is was not Heavy, they just worked. Now there was a coach with His Fighter who watched every day, and the fighter Fancied it. They asked Eddie for a move around and He said yes. As they were gloving up I heard the coach say, This Son is a chance to make a name for yourself, OH OH. The Kid was a Light Heavy and would become a British Champ Himself. He started like He wanted to Kill Mike, a minute into the round Mike went up 3 gears and for 2 mins gave the Biggest Shellacking to the Kid Ive ever seen it was on a Thursday and after the Kid thought it was Monday, Eddie said to me What was He on. My reply I somehow dont think He will try that again soon.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What about Joe Galzaghe v Mike McCallum, prime for prime?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Old Mike still has some serious beef that he never made any massive money fighting the fab 4.

Also, does he look really stoned or is that just me. He is Jamaican mon...
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    That'd be Light Mid vs. Super Middle wouldn't it?

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hitmandonny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    That'd be Light Mid vs. Super Middle wouldn't it?
    P4P?

Thread Information