Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Orthodox Right Hook

Are there any situations when a orthodox right hook to the head should be used? I have been told NEVER... but I find it can be useful since it's unexpected. I have found success by throwing it on the inside, and also at range while moving laterally to land the shot around he opponents guard.

What are your thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Orthodox Right Hook

The right hook can be a good counter punch. It can work well in combination punching, and can be a sneaky shot on the inside.

The most common counter using the right hook is called the "right cross". Why? because your right hand "crosses" over your opponent's left lead. The right cross counter is done by stepping forward, slipping to the inside of their jab, and throwing your right hook over their extended arm.

To throw the right hook properly, as you punch you shift your weight onto your left foot, pulling your left shoulder back, while trying to keep your right elbow in line with your shoulders. This ensures that you don't wing the punch which would cause you to lose punching power. Use your left leg as a hinge, turning your hips and shoulders, and pivoting on the ball of your right foot. Your left foot gives you stability. Your left glove should be on guard, protecting the left side of your head from a potential counter. You can generate a lot of force with this punch, and with the element of surprise this punch can be devastating!

The principle of throwing the right hook to the body is generally the same, just bend your knees to get lower, and adjust the angle of your arm. Your index and middle knuckles should be landing when you throw it.

With some positioning this punch can catch your opponent by surprise. While fighting in close, a short step to the right, maybe with a little pivot, you can get to a blind-spot angle where they can't see the punching coming. More over you can also catch them turning into the shot. Sometimes you'll just find a good opening for it when working in close to your opponent, a lot of it is positioning. The right hook can also be snuck in when getting out of a clinch.

You can throw it in combinations too. Some examples: left hook to the body, right hook to the head. Right hook to the body, right hook to the head. Right hook to the head, hook to the body. A lot of your combos should come off of your counterpunches, and in response to your opponent's counters. Linking punches from the body to the head (and vice-versa) can work well to opening up their guard for your bomb.

You don't need to come out throwing big right hooks ala George Foreman, but given the right situation, the right hook can be a very useful punch.
    Last edited by Chris Nagel; 07-10-2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: I meant "right hook", not left in the last sentence of the first paragraph.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

sound advice, thanks.

I'm going to try to work on that inside slip of a jab and right hand counter. I was always taught inside slip=L hook, outside slip= R cross. My inside slips are always quicker anyways. Is it a straight shot or kind of a mixture? Can it be used off a dip/roll also?

El Kabong Guest

George Foreman used it most successfully as a body shot. Most fighters use an overhand right instead of a right hook...Mike Tyson for example, he didn't throw a Right cross, just that slightly arched overhand right and with devistating results.

I mix it in combos to help open up holes in an opponent's defense. One of my favorite combinations is Left hook (body), right hook (body), left hook (head)....and you could add on a right cross(or an uppercut) and another left hook if you like but that quick 3 punch combo is great when you have your opponent pressed against the ropes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    George Foreman used it most successfully as a body shot. Most fighters use an overhand right instead of a right hook...Mike Tyson for example, he didn't throw a Right cross, just that slightly arched overhand right and with devistating results.

I mix it in combos to help open up holes in an opponent's defense. One of my favorite combinations is Left hook (body), right hook (body), left hook (head)....and you could add on a right cross(or an uppercut) and another left hook if you like but that quick 3 punch combo is great when you have your opponent pressed against the ropes.
    Tyson used right hook a lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNbGET2gds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

see Forrest vs. Mora II.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you can make it work for you then it should be thrown.

In my opinion it can be thrown its just a bit risky... i generally throw it after slipping to the outside of a jab, then from there shift my weight forward while dipping to the body but at the same time throwing a right hook at head height over the top of their jab.

This works for me, but i had to spend a lot of time in sparring making it work (only time ive ever been dropped was a counter to this in sparring when first using it) so either way if you want to throw it expect it to land weak if at all for a while, just until you make it work.

Thread Information