Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Scoring Cotto-Mayweather a week later

Just watched and rewatched the fight on HBO (thanks to DVR was able to see some close rounds several times). This is how I saw it:

Round 1: Cotto - (Cotto was the aggresor. Floyd did not land much of anything.)

Round 2: Floyd - (Floyd was more effective with his punches, particularly the right hand.)

Round 3: EVEN - (Decided to come back to this later.)

Round 4: Floyd - (Scored well with right hands. Widest margin in a round so far.)

Round 5: Cotto - (Commentators were ignoring Cotto's shots. Cotto going well to the body. Floyd not connecting effectively. Big Cotto left hooks toward end of round. Lederman also gave round to Cotto).

Round 6: Cotto - (Cotto outjabbing Floyd, who's not being that effective with his own punches.)

Round 7: EVEN - (Will rewatch it later also.)

Round 8: Cotto - (Best action so far. "Floyd coasting" MY ASS!! Nosebleed tells different story.)

Round 9: Floyd - (Cotto pressed but didn't connect much. Floyd more accurate and effective.)

Round 10: Floyd - (Had to watch it twice right away. Floyd won 1st minute of round, other two minutes were even... so Floyd wins the round.)

Round 11: Floyd - (Cotto tiring a bit... missing more. Floyd didn't land that much, but was more effective.)

Round 12: Floyd - (Cotto won the 1st minute of the round, but got staggered halfway through, and lost the round.)

Went back to watch rounds 3 and 7.

Round 3: Cotto - (Cotto wins 1st minute of round, with jabs and left hooks. Cotto wins the 2nd minute as well. Last minute is even. Cotto wins the round.)

Round 7: Floyd - (Floyd wins 1st minute of round. 2nd minute is even, with slight edge to Floyd. Last minute is even. Floyd wins the round.)

So my final score is:

Round 1: Cotto
    Round 2: Floyd
    Round 3: Cotto
    Round 4: Floyd
    Round 5: Cotto
    Round 6: Cotto
    Round 7: Floyd
    Round 8: Cotto
    Round 9: Floyd
    Round 10: Floyd
    Round 11: Floyd
    Round 12: Floyd

7-5: Floyd

"Floyd was coasting" MY ASS. Only blind Floyd fans and Cotto haters, as well as people who hang on HBO commentators every word... believe that is was an easy night for Floyd... and that Floyd could've "turned it on" or ended it whenever he wanted to.

That assessment is an insult to Cotto's effort, and an injustice to the fight itself. At least Floyd himself knows the kind of fight he was in.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Scoring Cotto-Mayweather a week later

I had to mute the sound not long after the fight started, it was apparent that Cotto wasn't going to get any credit for what he was doing. I do believe that Floyd won the fight, but more along the lines of how you scored it. Floyd 7-5.

The problem that Miguel had with Floyd was typical, he's so fucking hard to catch with clean hard shots, but Cotto was obviously landing some decent punches, Floyd's nose bled much of the fight, and he had a cut lip.

Cotto gave Mayweather the toughest test of his career, except for maybe the 1st Castillo fight, he's got nothing to hang his head about, he gave it his all.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    I had to mute the sound not long after the fight started, it was apparent that Cotto wasn't going to get any credit for what he was doing. I do believe that Floyd won the fight, but more along the lines of how you scored it. Floyd 7-5.

The problem that Miguel had with Floyd was typical, he's so fucking hard to catch with clean hard shots, but Cotto was obviously landing some decent punches, Floyd's nose bled much of the fight, and he had a cut lip.

Cotto gave Mayweather the toughest test of his career, except for maybe the 1st Castillo fight, he's got nothing to hang his head about, he gave it his all.

Yeah bro... it's not like anybody's claming that Miguel won. But it irritates me to read some supposedly knowledgeable posters making it seem like it was a cakewalk. If you watch the fight objectively, without getting swayed by the commentators, you'll see that the fight was reasonably close. Not all of Cotto's punches were missing... just like not all of Floyd's punches were landing. But when you've got your mind made up as to who's gonna win the fight... you're not going to give the other guy a fair shake.

Let's say I would've scored the fight 8-4 instead of 7-5. That still means that those last 4 rounds (which I scored for Floyd) were inmensely important for Mayweather. To see claims that Mayweather was "coasting" is utterly ridiculous, and does a disservice to the fight and to both boxers as well. Yes... it does a disservice to Floyd, because it takes away the element of "rising to the challenge" that Floyd had to show that night. Personally, I think the fact that Mayweather was seriously challenged actually served to raise his stock in the boxing world even more than it already was.

I watched some of the rounds several times... and tried to score each of the three minutes individually, in rounds that I thought were initially too close to call.

Bottom line: It was a great championship fight... Floyd deservedly won the decision... but was also tested for one of the very few times in his career. Cotto took the world's best p4p fighter... one of the all-time greats... through 12 tough, close, competitive rounds. Not many others can say that.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agree with both of you. 7-5 is also what I had it. 8-4 even is acceptable, there were a few very close rounds.

9-3 and 10-2 especially are utter nonsense and totally unrepresentative of the great fight Cotto fought.

Its frustrating when the judges, HBO, most of press row and some fans don't want to give Cotto his just due.

The crazy bastard actually believed he could win ! And he fought like it too.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

floyd could have KO'd him anytime he wanted...in the last 45 seconds of the 12th.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He rocked him. Doesn't mean he could've KO'ed him. The announcers said it best. Floyd felt he had the decision. He wasn't going to risk getting KO'ed himself by going for the knockout.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I also watched the fight yesterday and i dont know how anyone can say floys didnt win the first 5 rounds, he was playing about with cotto, hitting him when he wanted and cotto just missed with most of what he threw. I found it again 10-2 for floyd

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

see my fightcollector blog below in the signature.

i also had it 115-113 Floyd , the most common scores i collected were 115-113 , 116-112 , 117-111 - basically a 2 round switch for floyd.
    Hidden Content

collecting scores from the best boxing sites and forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post

Yeah bro... it's not like anybody's claming that Miguel won. But it irritates me to read some supposedly knowledgeable posters making it seem like it was a cakewalk. If you watch the fight objectively, without getting swayed by the commentators, you'll see that the fight was reasonably close. Not all of Cotto's punches were missing... just like not all of Floyd's punches were landing. But when you've got your mind made up as to who's gonna win the fight... you're not going to give the other guy a fair shake.

Let's say I would've scored the fight 8-4 instead of 7-5. That still means that those last 4 rounds (which I scored for Floyd) were inmensely important for Mayweather. To see claims that Mayweather was "coasting" is utterly ridiculous, and does a disservice to the fight and to both boxers as well. Yes... it does a disservice to Floyd, because it takes away the element of "rising to the challenge" that Floyd had to show that night. Personally, I think the fact that Mayweather was seriously challenged actually served to raise his stock in the boxing world even more than it already was.

I watched some of the rounds several times... and tried to score each of the three minutes individually, in rounds that I thought were initially too close to call.

Bottom line: It was a great championship fight... Floyd deservedly won the decision... but was also tested for one of the very few times in his career. Cotto took the world's best p4p fighter... one of the all-time greats... through 12 tough, close, competitive rounds. Not many others can say that.
    The problem was where there punches landed. Its alright being the agressor but if you are hitting the opponents arms and hands they dont count. Mayweather may have not thrown many punches but the majority of them landed. I dont think Cotto done as well as many of you think he did. I was impressed with his fitness though.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto fought a great fight.
    The scores were 8-4 floyd after watching it again with no sound.
    The fight was not as easier as it could have been because floyd stayed on the ropes rather than box all night.
    But cotto has great defense and is a true warrior.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I had it 8-4 for Floyd upon a rewatch. I think the rounds Cotto won were quite obvious, he won yhe clearly which is hard to say against Floyd! I don't think it can be any close than 8-4 but fair do's we all score fights differently and prefer different styles. The bottom line is that it was a tough fight and there are no arguments about the victor. So it's all kool

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He rocked him. Doesn't mean he could've KO'ed him. The announcers said it best. Floyd felt he had the decision. He wasn't going to risk getting KO'ed himself by going for the knockout.

floyd could have KO'd him anytime he wanted...in the last 45 seconds of the 12th.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post

I'm sorry.... did you just COPY/PASTE your earlier post?

I'm beginning to get more insight into your thought processes.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He had him hurt, more due to tiredness but anyone who thinks Floyd let Cotto off the hook is crazy. If Floyd could have stopped him he would have, but he could not do it.

I had it a draw, Cotto was 4-2 up at half way point.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sorry.... did you just COPY/PASTE your earlier post?

I'm beginning to get more insight into your thought processes.

no i typed it fresh each time....

Thread Information