Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is Frank Warren right???

Okay first thread but here go's.

Is Frank Warren right? Recently he 'virtually' said whats the point in fighters going to America. He can secure fights here in front of huge crowds compared to most in America but can he get big time fighters to come here?

Hatton left him to chase the big fights and eventually secureed a Castillo fight he probably would not have got in the UK. So is America where fighters have to go to cement their legacy or should we expect their fighters to travel as well as the others??

And thinking about Enzo here cause Joe is probably too old but should he split from Frank cause there are probably only three or four big fights for him at the weight and can they be made fighting in the UK?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is Frank Warren right???

Sort of yeh, if a British fighter is challenging for an Americans title then sure go over there and get it but when the Brit is the champ why should he still go fight in front of the challengers home crowd?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The way I see it is like this......

Joe NOT only needs to fight in the states, it also NEEDS to be against a top opponent.
    I say needs cause hes the one that want's to be recognize as the champ. and want's the fans/peoples support.

I sware I mean Hattons made a fan out of me by doing somethings right (hes also pissed me off on other things, but that goes without saying Hattons made some fans by doing so)

I mean why do footy/soccer players leave for Europe?
    The moneys there, the approval & recognition is there.

Why do Baseball players come to the States?
    Same thing.

Why do Mexican fighters come out here, why do OTHER European Champs. come out here?
    TBH, for all I care he could stay over in Whales his whole career just don't go crying talkin' about 'I dont understand why people dont give me the credit I deserve'. Joes earned some skills credit cause hes got them, now he has to put those skills against a top opponent.
    That'll earn him the credit/approval of the fans/people.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    The way I see it is like this......

Joe NOT only needs to fight in the states, it also NEEDS to be against a top opponent.
    I say needs cause hes the one that want's to be recognize as the champ. and want's the fans/peoples support.

I sware I mean Hattons made a fan out of me by doing somethings right (hes also pissed me off on other things, but that goes without saying Hattons made some fans by doing so)

I mean why do footy/soccer players leave for Europe?
    The moneys there, the approval & recognition is there.

Why do Baseball players come to the States?
    Same thing.

Why do Mexican fighters come out here, why do OTHER European Champs. come out here?
    TBH, for all I care he could stay over in Whales his whole career just don't go crying talkin' about 'I dont understand why people dont give me the credit I deserve'. Joes earned some skills credit cause hes got them, now he has to put those skills against a top opponent.
    That'll earn him the credit/approval of the fans/people.
    I don't think he is talking about Joe Calzaghe or large sea mammals :P

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beerjelly
    Sort of yeh, if a British fighter is challenging for an Americans title then sure go over there and get it but when the Brit is the champ why should he still go fight in front of the challengers home crowd?
    Yeah exactly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hatzzz

Is Frank Warren right? Recently he 'virtually' said whats the point in fighters going to America. He can secure fights here in front of huge crowds compared to most in America but can he get big time fighters to come here?

Hatton left him to chase the big fights and eventually secureed a Castillo fight he probably would not have got in the UK. So is America where fighters have to go to cement their legacy or should we expect their fighters to travel as well as the others??

And thinking about Enzo here cause Joe is probably too old but should he split from Frank cause there are probably only three or four big fights for him at the weight and can they be made fighting in the UK?
    First off Welcome aboard, and you also bring an interesting thread to the forum. I think Warren is wrong to a large extent: If he can secure the same kind of purses for his fighters in the U.K., that's a great accomplishment. Although I live in N.Y., which may seem that I'm a bit biased, (although that ISN'T the case) all roads paved to greatness without exception lead to the U.S. It's not necessarily fair, but after all, life isn't very fair.
    Calzaghe is a GREAT boxer! There is no question there. I think his biggest challenge right now is Kessler, and I hope that fight gets made. However, Kessler has already expressed interest in coming to the states to fight. Joe certainly doesn't expect someone with the legacy of Hopkins to cross the Atlantic and fight him Cardiff...at least I hope not.
    Calzaghe is no Hatton. He's the real deal, and I'm a bit nonplussed as to why he wouldn't want to cross the pond to gain an international reputation. For Warren and Calzaghe to throw a 20th title defense on the laurels of beating Peter Manfredo is simply shameful. Manfredo may be the makings of a decent journeyman, but nothing more.
    I think this kind of cross-pollination between continents is a good thing for all. It's just that all of the most memorable aspects of boxing history is steeped right here in the states. It seems that most champions come to that realization eventually and take the appropriate steps to make it over here. As for their indignation regarding the issue at hand:
    It would be tantamount to a U.S. cricket team becoming agitated that they had to travel to the U.K. to show the globe what they had.
    "et ignotas animum dimittit in artes naturamque nouat" Ovid's Metamorphoses

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First off…welcome to the forum.

Have the Obligatory Wacko Welcome Wagon

Now…as far as your question/post…personally I think that everyone is being a bit harsh on Joe. Me being a Yank…this statement’s gonna seem odd…but I say fwockit! Let him stay at home & fight…most of our U.S. champs do & it’s alright.

Joe is undefeated & impressively so. Anyone that refuses to recognize his skill is either a hater or just oblivious to what the sweet science is all about.

Joe is a professional & generally a beaut to watch in the ring. Whether it’s across the pond or not…he’s still the man & technically…everyone should come to him…again…because he is the champ & undefeated. My fellow Yank fight fans are a bit hypocritical. It’s fine for Jones, Hopkins, Floyd, Oscar, & blah blah blah to stay home & fight…but not Joe.

That’s bullshit.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

Now…as far as your question/post…personally I think that everyone is being a bit harsh on Joe. Me being a Yank…this statement’s gonna seem odd…but I say fwockit! Let him stay at home & fight…most of our U.S. champs do & it’s alright.

Joe is undefeated & impressively so. Anyone that refuses to recognize his skill is either a hater or just oblivious to what the sweet science is all about.

Joe is a professional & generally a beaut to watch in the ring. Whether it’s across the pond or not…he’s still the man & technically…everyone should come to him…again…because he is the champ & undefeated. My fellow Yank fight fans are a bit hypocritical. It’s fine for Jones, Hopkins, Floyd, Oscar, & blah blah blah to stay home & fight…but not Joe.

That’s bullshit.
    C'mon man. You're certainly not trying to suggest that Calzaghe has proved himself to be on par with Hopkins, are you? The only fight of 'interest' for Jones in Europe was Michaelpussy, and we all know what happened to him when the going got ruff. All of the great Mexican champs came to the states to build their legacy, and the same holds true for any euro-fighter that wants international recognition. It would serve not only their reputation well, but it would also heftily fatten their bank accounts.
    G-D, I hate to quote Don King, but..."Only in America!"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow

That’s bullshit.
    C'mon man. You're certainly not trying to suggest that Calzaghe has proved himself to be on par with Hopkins, are you? The only fight of 'interest' for Jones in Europe was Michaelpussy, and we all know what happened to him when the going got ruff. All of the great Mexican champs came to the states to build their legacy, and the same holds true for any euro-fighter that wants international recognition. It would serve not only their reputation well, but it would also heftily fatten their bank accounts.
    nah.. I'm with wackoff on this one. As frustrating as Frank Warren's choice of opponents for Joe are, the fact is the Champ reserves the right to fight on home turf unless challengers can front the coin to lure him out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem with Joe is that he has been content earning a living and not chasing greatness. He has held the lightly regarded WBO strap for 10 years!!

Lets not forget about Sven Ottke!! he won the IBF version of the Super Middleweight alphabet soup 12mths after Joe, he defended it 21 times, 4 times as Undisputed Champ and retired undefeated!! So I guess there is no point in holding our breath waiting for a Kessler fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe is an overachiever in boxing skill and prowess, but an underachiever at showcasing that talent against elite talented fighters. With Joe's hands the way they are, you'd think every last fight he takes would be against number ones. Every time joe farts, he hurts his hands. Don't fight crap challengers, fight number ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdoo
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow

That’s bullshit.
    nah.. I'm with wackoff on this one. As frustrating as Frank Warren's choice of opponents for Joe are, the fact is the Champ reserves the right to fight on home turf unless challengers can front the coin to lure him out.
    I see your point, but I still don't agree. Calzaghe is a phenom and can fly to the states and still be as effective as he was in Cardiff. With talk of Hopkins calling out Calzaghe, Calzaghe must defer to a ring legend if he seriously wants to make that fight happen. Come on, folks. Hopkins has accomplished things that Calzaghe would kill for.
    As much as a Hopkins fan that I am, even in light of his ridiculous comment that Miranda has been passed the torch, I think it would be a great fight. But Calzaghe hasn't fought the quality of opposition that Hopkins has. Time to take it to the next level, Joe. Bernard isn't getting any younger and neither are you.

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Warren is wrong to say this. But then again most promoters are.
    Its obvious Warren is trying so hard to put British boxing on the map but its only proving to be detrimental to his fighters.

I think its always healthy for boxing if a fighter to be relatively well travelled.
    A fighter is bound to have more options open to him if he is willing to travel.

By looking at what has been happening with the huge influx of eastern European fighters, particularly in the heavyweight division, we are now noticing more proposals for big fights in places like Russia, Germany etc...

Thats only gonna be good for boxing...

It may not be good for the travelling opponent, more so if he's the champ but fighters and promoters need to move away form the notion of defending titles (or reputations) out of their own back yards.

Who quickly would UFC die if it became apparent that the best fighters refused to travel outside of their wishes?
    Exactly! So you can see one of the reasons boxing is dying.

In regrards to Joe Calzaghe.... He is as much to blame as all the promoters, fighters and even networks involved in this 10 year episode of watching potentially brilliant match ups slip away on the basis of absolutely anything and everything outside of boxing.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do know that ITV are utterly PISSED OFF with the show on saturday. They took a nose-dive in the ratings too.

It was a very poor show and Im surprised with Mr Warren who normally puts on top shows.

Tc
    This signiture is up as ante in a 'sig-bet'. Wanna bet anyone?

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK
    Why does it matter where Joe fights them, name a top american fighter in Joes division ?

Why would the general amaerican public pay to see a skinny welshman who slaps (taking a point of view of a non boxing fan) defend against an obscure european (kessler), no ones heard of ? (really, even Joe is obscure but by beating Lacy and Manfredo, 2 american hype jobs he has risen his profile)

Joe will get a huge crowd in the UK, not sure on Denmark or anywhere else but give the UK sports fan a decent champ to support and they will come out rabidly to cheer him on, patrioticly

Thread Information