Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bob Arum On Pacquiao vs. Mayweather

Share/Bookmark
    XaduBoxer Guest

Default Bob Arum On Pacquiao vs. Mayweather

link --> Bob Arum On Pacquiao vs. Mayweather

By Scoop Malinowski on April 16th, 2009

While there is a general assumption that Manny Pacquiao will get by Ricky Hatton next month and then move on to face Floyd Mayweather later in 2009, Bob Arum wasn’t so sure. “I haven’t talked to Manny about it because we’re concentrating on Hatton because Hatton is a tough fight,” Arum said this week. “The question with a Mayweather fight is at what weight? That’s the big question. At 140 I don’t think there’s any problem making that fight. If Floyd wants to come in at a higher weight, I don’t know.”

“A catch-weight is a possibility also. But none of that has been discussed and I won’t let anyone discuss it. Until after this fight.”

What about the little fact that Mayweather has said many times to the media that he would never do business with Bob Arum again. “But he could go f*** himself, tell him that,” said Arum, as the reporters Franklin McNeil, George Willis and Tim Smith all burst into laughter.

I approached Arum a few minutes later for clarification, explaining the reason Mayweather said he won’t do business with Top Rank again was because he used it as a handy excuse to duck Cotto and Margarito when Arum tried to produce Cotto-Mayweather and Margarito-Mayweather clashes over the last two years.

Arum’s reply: “F*** Mayweather. Pacquiao’s the big attraction. He has to come to us if he wants it. If he doesn’t come to us, there’s dozens of other guys we can fight.”

Mayweather may have to come to terms with the fact he may have to accept the short end of the purse with Pacquiao, along with moving back down to 140. Because Mayweather really doesn’t have any other viable options, as Juan Manuel Marquez reportedly won’t fight him at 147, Sugar Shane Mosley is too much of a risk, and Paul Williams is even more of a dangerous risk for Floyd than Mosley.

This is all assuming Pacquaio takes care of business with Hatton, which is far from a certainty.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Bob Arum On Pacquiao vs. Mayweather

Quote Originally Posted by SaddoBoxer View Post
    link --> Bob Arum On Pacquiao vs. Mayweather

By Scoop Malinowski on April 16th, 2009

While there is a general assumption that Manny Pacquiao will get by Ricky Hatton next month and then move on to face Floyd Mayweather later in 2009, Bob Arum wasn’t so sure. “I haven’t talked to Manny about it because we’re concentrating on Hatton because Hatton is a tough fight,” Arum said this week. “The question with a Mayweather fight is at what weight? That’s the big question. At 140 I don’t think there’s any problem making that fight. If Floyd wants to come in at a higher weight, I don’t know.”

“A catch-weight is a possibility also. But none of that has been discussed and I won’t let anyone discuss it. Until after this fight.”

What about the little fact that Mayweather has said many times to the media that he would never do business with Bob Arum again. “But he could go f*** himself, tell him that,” said Arum, as the reporters Franklin McNeil, George Willis and Tim Smith all burst into laughter.

I approached Arum a few minutes later for clarification, explaining the reason Mayweather said he won’t do business with Top Rank again was because he used it as a handy excuse to duck Cotto and Margarito when Arum tried to produce Cotto-Mayweather and Margarito-Mayweather clashes over the last two years.

Arum’s reply: “F*** Mayweather. Pacquiao’s the big attraction. He has to come to us if he wants it. If he doesn’t come to us, there’s dozens of other guys we can fight.”

Mayweather may have to come to terms with the fact he may have to accept the short end of the purse with Pacquiao, along with moving back down to 140. Because Mayweather really doesn’t have any other viable options, as Juan Manuel Marquez reportedly won’t fight him at 147, Sugar Shane Mosley is too much of a risk, and Paul Williams is even more of a dangerous risk for Floyd than Mosley.

This is all assuming Pacquaio takes care of business with Hatton, which is far from a certainty.

Arum is just still sour that he was ditched by his two biggest money makers in DLH and Mayweather, after what Mosley did to Margarito i have no doubt in my mind that Mayweather would destroy Tony, only people i'd say Mayweather kinda ducked were Cotto/Mosley, Williams wasn't at the selling point he is now, and Berto lets not even go there

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im probably saying something unpopular here, but I'm not all that excited about the propect of Floyd coming back. He wants to pick and choose and dictate too much. Floyd is supposedly a 147 fighter, why not get out there and beat some big men? It's all about the money and now there is the opportunity to "comeback" and go for the smaller man again be it Hatton, Pac or Marquez. Get out there and fight Mosley and Cotto for goodness sake!

He's a vulture looking for the easiest meat. And it's boring!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

LMAO. "Fuck Mayweather" LMAO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by miles View Post
    Im probably saying something unpopular here, but I'm not all that excited about the propect of Floyd coming back. He wants to pick and choose and dictate too much. Floyd is supposedly a 147 fighter, why not get out there and beat some big men? It's all about the money and now there is the opportunity to "comeback" and go for the smaller man again be it Hatton, Pac or Marquez. Get out there and fight Mosley and Cotto for goodness sake!

Agree , he needs to let his other bollock drop, fight some serious opposition then tell us all to go F**CK ourselves and have the right to do so. Until then stop playing bully boy superstar.
    Last edited by jamiebhoy; 04-17-2009 at 01:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I con cour Miles and would love to see Floyd jnr in with Cotto or Mosley, the thing with Jnr he is so good he hardly gets out of second gear unless he is pushed into it (ala hatton). Cotto and Mosley will take him out of that comfort zone and give us fans our moneys worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Unpopular or not, that's 100% how I feel about it.... It's one thing for him to come back saying "Right, I was the best. I AM the best.. I'm back! So who wants me!"
    But he's going to half pretend to suggest he's coming back until he can undercoverlike go and find the smallest low risk fighter for the biggest amount of $$$...

It's weak and doesn't earn him any props from my point of view...
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

XaduBoxer Guest

Don't worry... If ever PBF will fight PAC, I'm sure he can't dictate his terms to PAC... Even the Golden Boy give in so much just to nail the PAC fight and who is PBF compared to Oscar in terms of market pull??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So Arum let Pacquiao go up to 147 to fight Oscar De La Hoya but says he isnt sure he'd let Pacquiao fight Mayweather at the same weight?

I wonder why
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Don't worry... If ever PBF will fight PAC, I'm sure he can't dictate his terms to PAC... Even the Golden Boy give in so much just to nail the PAC fight and who is PBF compared to Oscar in terms of market pull??
    Part of me would like each of the 3 smaller fighters to actually tell Floyd to just bugger off. He would have nowhere to go then and might have to fight a proper WW....or he will probably stick to his retirement.

Hatton is desperate for a rematch though. Marquez is right in saying 147 is too much. And Pac is no 147 fighter either. If Floyd wants small fighters then he needs to slim down.

But it's money that talks the loudest.

XaduBoxer Guest

Part of me would like each of the 3 smaller fighters to actually tell Floyd to just bugger off. He would have nowhere to go then and might have to fight a proper WW....or he will probably stick to his retirement.

Hatton is desperate for a rematch though. Marquez is right in saying 147 is too much. And Pac is no 147 fighter either. If Floyd wants small fighters then he needs to slim down.

I only support PAC going after PBF if PAC defeats Hatton more convincingly than what PBF did to Hatton... PAC stopping Hatton inside 9 rounds will do it... But this still remains to be seen...

And you're absolutely right, the biggest money fight out there will be PAC vs. PBF...

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I only support PAC going after PBF if PAC defeats Hatton more convincingly than what PBF did to Hatton... PAC stopping Hatton inside 9 rounds will do it... But this still remains to be seen...

And you're absolutely right, the biggest money fight out there will be PAC vs. PBF...
    That's the thing, Pac has more room to negotiate. Hatton having already lost to Mayweather and wanting the rematch will probably concede things and that will just make his job too difficult. Mayweather already holds the advantages with his skills, he wants everything though, and I don't like it.

Anyway, stop this talk of Pac beating Hatton...keep that for your own thread!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I do agree, let's also keep in mind that Floyd has never been the most popular boxer around, many dubbed his matches as dull for obvious reasons, considering that as well, if the smaller would say: "that weight or fuck off I have other options", FLoyd would have to make some concessions, especially as now that he retired, he has less power wearing no belts and not being part of the actual dynamic. HE will not stay retired though, he loves too much attention for that and as he placed tons of money on Wall Street before the major crisis, we can easily assume he did lost a fair bit and his hunger for attention and money will bring back in the corner reall soon. KNowing him, I would imagine him challenging Moseley... in 3 years when Sugae Shane will be 40 just to take no chances hehe, in the meantime though, his biggest payday lies in Bobby's hands against Pacman so we can imagine there will be conversation on that side... let's just see how money will talk for him or if carefulness will talk louder.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Funny how I just posted a new topic on this very issue a few days back.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brocktonblockbust View Post
    Funny how I just posted a new topic on this very issue a few days back.
    Sorry, I do not come every days and there is so many new topics posted that I am often unaware of a few of them
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Thread Information