Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Lets talk Heavy Weights

So I've been thinking, is there anyone out there that can add some spice to what was once the most important boxing division?? I mean I like Chris Areola, he is very exciting to watch, but we all saw what Vitali did to him. I don't remember the last time there was an exciting heavyweight fight on PPV. As long as the Klitshko's run the division, we won't even have an undisputed champion. Anyone on the horrizon that can bring the division back to glory

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Lets talk Heavy Weights

David Haye..........and heavyweights is one word.
    Hidden Content
    Records are for DJ's - Dan 'The outlaw' Hardy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He's the one that just barely beat the Giant right LOL I guess he's a start, not sure he can beat Vitali or Wlad though which is really the mission that must be accomplished to send the division in a different direction. Oh and thanks for the grammer correction, that was my bad LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

doesn't have to be a worldbeater. just exciting. haye is that. but it's going to take more than one fighter to revitalize the division. it'll take several people who are willing to fight one another to eventually elevate HW status back to what it was. Klitschko is doing his part, not it's up to someone else.

El Kabong Guest

The division has the same issue it did at the end of Lewis' reign....well just before the end of Lewis' reign. There are a couple of levels of fighters out there
    1. Elite - Wladimir and Vitali
    2. Title holders- that person I refuse to mention
    3. Contenders - this space is pretty empty right now, maybe Chris Chambers, maybe Chagaev
    4. Youngsters & Old Vets - Povetkin, Solis, Arreola, Sam Peter, Tony Thompson, Adamek, Dimitrenko, Boytsov, Sultan Ibragimov, (hopefully Deontay Wilder in a few years) etc.
    5. Journeymen - they aren't worth mentioning

Do you see the lack of fighters that are "Contenders"....that's keeping us from having any meaningful fights in the division. It's keeping the title fights from being really exciting...I mean we COULD see upsets with title fights but you kind of expect domination from start to finish from the champions and anything less could easily be blamed on age OR they could have poor showings which has happened before.

Compare today to when Lewis started out or when Bowe and Evander were at the top and the scene is VERY different but right now it's similar to when Larry Holmes was champion or when Mike Tyson was champion.

Thread Information