Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Why wasn't Arreola moving to HIS right?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Why wasn't Arreola moving to HIS right?

I watched that fight again, and Arreola looked to get clocked.... he moved in laterally to Stiverne's right hand, and got caught in the slide... sweeping right hand that put him on the canvas in the 6th.

The sad thing about it is that Stiverne didn't even set the punch up, but Arreola left himself open to it.

For the entire fight I didn't see not one single straight, lead right hand, from Arreola while moving to his right- Stiverne's left.

Sure, Stiverne had his jab working. But he never brought his left hand back to his chin and his hand was held WAY low.

Any heavyweight worth their salt would have stepped wide to their right foot, left the left foot at the center of Stiverne's, waited for the right time and came over on the top with a lead right hand and then continued to move to their right.

It was there all night for Arreola, but instead he chose to run from Stiverne's jab in order to catch a Stiverne right hand on the slide....

Horrible in-fight decision from Arreola. Just horrible!!
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Why wasn't Arreola moving to HIS right?

Tough call. Stiverne can hook from either side and is patient. He knew that Chris would have to establish a jab and that if Chris concentrated on staying away from the right hand then Chris would not be Chris. Almost the exact same shot as the first fight. Chris is a come forward I'm going to bust you up kind of guy and I thought he did go to the right a fair bit and showed some pretty good head movement early.
    He fought a good fight and just got caught.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arreola didnt have a consistent fight plan. He took it to him for 3 rounds then slacked off in the 4th and 5th for Stiverne to make his move/set his traps. Arreola fought the wrong fight after the 4th round. He would pressure and then let up, pressure and then let up. Stiv just waited for the pattern and jumped.

Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

because mexicans have no rights... maybe :S

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I honestly don't think he put too much thought into it and he shouldn't have all things considered. For as good of shape he appeared to be, he looked like a guy who only had a solid 6 rounds in the tank. Based on the first fight and his history of being insulted if you miss him...he wasn't going to outbox or outfox Stiverne and took his best chances off the table if he tried. The time to refine his basics and put them into practice was on a lower scale and yrs ago, he is-was one of a number who get stuck trying to learn backwards and play catchup when they are in the career corner, but he did the best with what he had and made no excuses.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I honestly don't think he put too much thought into it and he shouldn't have all things considered. For as good of shape he appeared to be, he looked like a guy who only had a solid 6 rounds in the tank. Based on the first fight and his history of being insulted if you miss him...he wasn't going to outbox or outfox Stiverne and took his best chances off the table if he tried. The time to refine his basics and put them into practice was on a lower scale and yrs ago, he is-was one of a number who get stuck trying to learn backwards and play catchup when they are in the career corner, but he did the best with what he had and made no excuses.
    I don't agree, I think with the right trainer, fighters can change, if they want to bad enough.
    Arreola's natural inclination to come straight ahead along with his belief in his own power; plus the undisciplined life style and the fact he won't listen to his trainer are his biggest problems.
    Every time they mentioned his nine pound weight drop as proof of a great training camp, all I could do was roll my eyes.
    Maybe that worthless piece of shit, celebrity trainer Robert Garcia could help him?
    I don't think so either, Arreola's worst/best enemy is himself, he doesn't have the brains to take advice from anyone.
    He's made himself into a journeyman, a minor gate keeper, in my opinion.
    Last edited by beenKOed; 05-20-2014 at 04:09 PM.

El Kabong Guest

Cris only knows one way to fight which is press forward, drop straight back, fight upright, not moving his head very much.

Stiverne's handling of Arreola's pressure impressed me a little. He took some hard shots but never got too panicky

Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arreola just ZIGGED when it was clear he should have ZAGGED.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought fighters are trained to move left? Anyway he got caught hight on the head, nothing you can do about that shot?
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post
    Arreola just ZIGGED when it was clear he should have ZAGGED.
    Al is triple casking

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Temple shot. Equilibrium. But Lyle said it best. No head movement. Too upright.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Why wasn't Arreola moving to HIS right?"

...because he stinks

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I don't agree, I think with the right trainer, fighters can change, if they want to bad enough.
    Arreola's natural inclination to come straight ahead along with his belief in his own power; plus the undisciplined life style and the fact he won't listen to his trainer are his biggest problems.
    Every time they mentioned his nine pound weight drop as proof of a great training camp, all I could do was roll my eyes.
    Maybe that worthless piece of shit, celebrity trainer Robert Garcia could help him?
    I don't think so either, Arreola's worst/best enemy is himself, he doesn't have the brains to take advice from anyone.
    He's made himself into a journeyman, a minor gate keeper, in my opinion.
    No, absolutely a fighter can change, you're right. Journeymen have second careers often, become contenders. But what I'm saying is its a special breed who have always maintained, usually top class who have already refined an early style. Guys like Arreola are near an end, its a 'change' almost out of desperation when too much time and career has been used one way. Guys like a Barrera, a Hopkins, even a Foreman maybe had the natural ability and craft to make change and make that pretty clear switch. With Arreola all that talk, wanting and needing to 'get it right', the weight drop etc and thinking he'd box more was like putting lipstick on a pig. I like the guy...but he and the ones in a career corner are a lot of times too far gone to reclaim the glory or finally win that massive fight. Reminds me of the Chris Byrd experiment when he tried dropping to lt heavy and expecting to return to top form etc. Frankly...it was insane. You cannot "undo" the damage or miles logged. Huge smile, felt good at weight, always had natural talent but was crushed. I mean even look at a Maidana...I know Garcia has earned some criticism but clearly he has changed a bit, improved. No one would have convinced me that the guy shut out by Alexander would take rounds from a Mayweather. People can bag on him all they want and Floyd can pretend he was jus funning...but Maidana was in that fight, from beginning to end. The trainer gets some credit, but the fighter has to make change first.

Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    I thought fighters are trained to move left? Anyway he got caught hight on the head, nothing you can do about that shot?
    You move to your left when you, yourself, have a good jab and can take a punch. Arreola didn't work his jab and clearly couldn't take Stiverne's right hand- didn't take it well in the first fight.

Even so, moving to your right on the in-step ensures that you can land a jab- albeit a softer one, but will be effective in scoring points- and if your opponent has a lazy jab- like Stiverne, who doesn't bring it back to his chin- you can come over the top with a straight right.

Watch Floyd's fights when he lands the straight right hand- if you have a lazy jab with Floyd, you will get hit on the swing move to his right. All the time. All day.
    Bigger man George, bigger punch!

Subscribe: Free online Classifieds and Business directory!
    Hidden Content

Thread Information