Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the unluckiest Brit to not win a world title.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who is the unluckiest Brit to not win a world title.

I know there will be more deserving cases but for me I can always muster a tear for Wales's own Welter weight Colin Jones who I believe fought twice against the American Milton McCrory, fighting I think a draw in the first fight but I may be wrong and losing a split in the second, the first I thought he edged,

It was only when going for his third attempt against Don Curry that he really got beat......nasty.....anyone remember that cut on his nose, what a guy ... he was crying because they would not let him fight on, yet the cut on the bridge was bigger than my mouth....and thats saying something lol
    Hidden Content
    A lot of boxing promoters couldn't match the cheeks of their buttocks. Mickey Duff..

ICB Guest

Default Re: Who is the unluckiest Brit to not win a world title.

Herol Graham
    Michael Watson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Lol, I so nearly picked one of those two myself
    Hidden Content
    A lot of boxing promoters couldn't match the cheeks of their buttocks. Mickey Duff..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah Watson springs to mind straight away

ICB Guest

Henry Wharton ??

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Colin Jones the fighter time forgot, good call. As silly as it seems, Ive often wondered without the cut what the outcome against Curry would have been Curry was known to fade and althougth he was on top Colin wasnt in distress and was known to turn fights around the 2 laing fights come to mind. Colin was a great fighter make no mistake, hes never given the credit he deserves.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Colin Jones the fighter time forgot, good call. As silly as it seems, Ive often wondered without the cut what the outcome against Curry would have been Curry was known to fade and althougth he was on top Colin wasnt in distress and was known to turn fights around the 2 laing fights come to mind. Colin was a great fighter make no mistake, hes never given the credit he deserves.
    Kirkland Laing had alot of talent aswell Scrap remember him outboxing Duran ??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Richard Dunn, oops only kidding, not so sure about Henry Warton, had a peach of a left hook but relied too much on that...saw him box many times as an amature as his St Pats Club was over the road from the club I boxed at, Leeds Market District

They was always trying to get our middle to light heavies over there to spar with him...as an amature that is, thank god our trainer had more sense than us lol than to let us go over there, but in them days if he let go with a whack, they ended up on there back lol
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Herol Graham
    Right on the money. The guy was phenominal, the fact that he never won a world title is unbelievable (but probably had a lot to do with him getting ducked).
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Colin Jones the fighter time forgot, good call. As silly as it seems, Ive often wondered without the cut what the outcome against Curry would have been Curry was known to fade and altho he was on top Colin wasn't in distress and was known to turn fights around the 2 laing fights come to mind. Colin was a great fighter make no mistake, hes never given the credit he deserves.
    Good point Scrap, and ya right he wasn't in distress just unlucky with a bad cut that he would gladly have ignored...I so felt humbled when the guy cried and was saying sorry to every one, what a guy eh....On another note wasn't it the 9th round both times with Laing that Jones caught up with him.
    Hidden Content

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker
    Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Herol Graham
    Right on the money. The guy was phenominal, the fact that he never won a world title is unbelievable (but probably had a lot to do with him getting ducked).
    I heard Eubank, Benn, ducked him he was great though only lost sd to Mike McCallum in his prime thats amazing and dominated Jackson until Jackson pulled out that monster shot.

Mentioned
    1671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Donald Curry was a supreme fighter and he looked brilliant in beating Jones, there was no way Collins would have beat him that night, maybe the night Honeygan fought him but not that night. No shame in that. Also Curry dismantled Milton McCrory and Collins had tough fights with him.

John Davison who lost to Steve Robinson and Micheal Brodie but certainly Herol Graham, although he had his chances, as did Bruno.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Couple of good names, most were jsut not good enough to take the title when they had the chance though, so my vote has to go to Peerless Jim Driscoll.

Before Jim went to the states, all the boxing scribes, fighters and promoters knew of him, his repertation hit the states long before Jim went there. Finally when Jim hit the states he was beating everything the Americans had to offer untill he got a chance at the world featherweight title against the champion Abe Atell. It was unfortunate for Jim that he fought in a time where the champion could dictate the type of match they fought, and at those times they done a lot of No contest matches, they were basicaly if a fighter could not knock out the champion in 10 rounds the fight would be ruled as an NC, and Abe Atell would only fight Driscoll under those terms.

At the end of the NC fights the reporters would give their scores on who would of won the fight on the score cards for betting purposes, Driscoll won out right on the cards, btu sadly it went down as a NC a she was unable to knock Atell out, and Atell kept the belt. Although mot of the boxing world all considered Jim the champion, he wasn't officially.

Not long after that Jim spent 6 years in the army through WWI and by the time he came out the champions were 10-12 years younger than him, he was past his best but give it a shot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

One of jims fights with Frank 'spike' Robinson, i think this was the fight jim won the longsdale belt outright in...

Part 1
    [youtube=425,350]DuJOY6-fQMA[/youtube]

Part 2
    [youtube=425,350]ynWpVJ-62Ck[/youtube]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Dave Charnley.

Flew over to Houston to fight the excellent Joe Brown. Got stopped on a damaged eye in six and then pushed him all the way in the rematch at Earls Court 18 months later in a fight of the year classic.

Tony Sibson

One of Haglers only fights at 'home' (ie new England area) was against Sibson who got crushed in 6. Moved up to Light Heavy to challenge the limited* Dennis Andries and got battered by the bigger man, then dropped back down to Middle where he got schooled by Frank Tate.

* Dennis was 33 and had narrowly defeated JB Williamson (who?) for the WBC Title. He had 6 losses already and was considered an easy touch for the 'classier' Sibson. Tony would only win one more fight while Dennis went on to mix with great company, win the LH title three times and fight on for another TEN years.
    I'm never drinking again (I am a liar)

Thread Information