Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Joe Calzaghe vs Clinton Woods

Clinton Woods says talks have opened over a British super-fight between himself and Joe Calzaghe in 2008.

Sheffield's Woods, the IBF light-heavyweight champion, said he would be ready for a match in March.

"There's been talks and money's been offered. I could be ready in March or April," Woods told BBC Sport.

"I'd be a massive underdog, but I'd fancy my chances against him. And for the British public, it's far bigger than Calzaghe against Bernard Hopkins."

Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren declined to comment on a possible match-up between the two men.

Newbridge's undisputed super-middleweight champion Calzaghe, 35, targeted American legend Hopkins following his victory over Mikkel Kessler earlier this month.

Warren apparently opened talks with Hopkins' representatives, Golden Boy Promotions, over a possible match in New York in the spring.

I don't know how many fights I'm going to have before I retire, but I feel fresh as a daisy

Clinton Woods

But Hopkins, a notoriously tough negotiator, has been told by his trainer to forget about a fight with Calzaghe and instead seek a rematch with old rival Roy Jones Jr.

Fellow American Jones Jr beat Hopkins at middleweight in 1993 before the latter embarked on a 12-year unbeaten run in that division.

And Woods added: "Calzaghe's not going to prove anything by beating a 42-year-old Hopkins.

"The British public aren't worried about the Hopkins fight. He lost two against Jermain Taylor [in 2005], who's just been beaten by Kelly Pavlik.

"I think Roy Jones would be a better fight for Hopkins because there's still a bit of needle between them. I still think Roy Jones is a force to be reckoned with, in his last two fights he's looked very good."

However Woods, who has made four defences of his IBF belt, is aware that a clash with Calzaghe is far from being set in stone, especially as the Welshman allegedly turned down an offer to fight Woods last year.

"There are negotiations going on between [Woods' promoter] Dennis Hobson and Frank Warren for the Calzaghe fight.

"But I don't really listen to what they're saying until I know for definite. You know boxing - it's on, it's off, it's on, it's off again, so I'm just waiting for them to finally set a date.

"I need to improve 20-30% from the last fight [a unanimous points win over Julio Cesar Gonzalez in September], but I know I can beat him. I wouldn't fight him if I didn't know I can beat him.

"Financially I'm all right but I just want to fight the best. We're both 35 and he wants to win a light-heavyweight title.

"I don't know how many fights I'm going to have before I retire, but I feel fresh as a daisy. I've started running and I'm not even a stone above my weight."

Woods added that he is likely to fight WBC light-heavyweight champion Chad Dawson if a fight with Calzaghe does not come off.

Interesting. I'd be up for this. Not the right choice for Calzaghe IMO...but if it happnes...Calzaghe UD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Joe Calzaghe vs Clinton Woods

This fight isn't to bad i think...i cant see the BHop fight coming off,Bhop is just being a dick he does not want anything to do with calzaghe. Hopefully they could get this match in the Millinium again...it's a great venue for boxing matches..
    "It wasn't the night of the jab"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd pick Woods to win he handles a war better and he likes a war

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not sure how i'd pick this one, but one thing i do know is that i won't be quick to pick against joe anymore.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TYSONBRUNO
    Good to see your back. Yeno, just one of these days, you're gunna have to admit how good Calzaghe & Hatton are and concede defeat.

On the other subject, not my first choice, but I just don't want to see Calzaghe fight Hopkins. Get Jones or Taylor in the ring Joe!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe did well against Kessler but struggled with a rougher tougher fighter like Bika thats why i think a rough tough fighter like Woods would do well

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a great fight to get Cal a title but not so great considering his ticking biological clock, i like Calzafghe to win on UD but id prefer another more elite opponent who would grab him more international recognition.

Does the mention of this fight (for the second time!) indicate that Hobson is willing to enter into business with Warren, as i thought after the Hatton debacle they weren't too fond of one another?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its a fairly good fight but woods does talk some shit

Hopkins isnt that big a deal, Roy and bernard should fight instead, theres a bigger need for me to fight joe basically i really want this fight and i'll say owt
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am not looking forward to this at all. i have never rated Clinton as a top fighter. Calzaghe would ud him with relative ease.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TYSONBRUNO
    You would pick anyone over Calzaghe how about Ann Wolfe vs Calzaghe how would that go ??

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Woods is a fucking idiot. What does Hopkins losing to Taylor who lost to Pavlik got to do with anything? Woods lost to Glen Johnson who lost to Hopkins. That's that mean anything? No. Woods is a B fighter who's trying to get a payday by running his fucking mouth. He's lucky to even have a title. As he was given a gift win and a gift draw against Johnson.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    Woods is a fucking idiot. What does Hopkins losing to Taylor who lost to Pavlik got to do with anything? Woods lost to Glen Johnson who lost to Hopkins. That's that mean anything? No. Woods is a B fighter who's trying to get a payday by running his fucking mouth. He's lucky to even have a title. As he was given a gift win and a gift draw against Johnson.
    He was given a gift draw against Johnson, given a fair beating, and then beat Johnson fair and square.

And at least he aint shit scared of Calzaghe like that legend bloke from over there that agrees to fights before doubling the lolly so he can worm out of 'em.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise
    He was given a gift draw against Johnson, given a fair beating, and then beat Johnson fair and square.

And at least he aint shit scared of Calzaghe like that legend bloke from over there that agrees to fights before doubling the lolly so he can worm out of 'em.
    Woods just seems to be scared of a 4th fight against Johnson. A fight Johnson's been calling for. But avoiding Johnson seems to be the thing to do, as Calzaghe twice agreed to face him only to back out

ICB Guest

Sylistically i think this fight would be similar to Woodhall vs Calzaghe.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Sylistically i think this fight would be similar to Woodhall vs Calzaghe.
    I don't see Woods lasting that long. I think Calzaghe stops Woods overrated around the 6th round

Thread Information