Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Tommy Hearns

Quote Originally Posted by gbrandon
    Quote Originally Posted by stebs
    Quote Originally Posted by stebs

What do you guy's think about a Felix Trinidad vs Tommy Hearns fight at 154 in their primes. Would have been an epic slug fest.
    I don't see Trinidad as being great, at least not in the manner Hearns was, I think Trinidad would have suffered a devastating knockout early.
    I respect the opinion of Hearns winning by knockout, but you dont consider Trinidad one of the greats? I think that is unfair, Trinidad is one of the greats. I think Hearns by late knockout but Trinidad would have damaged him also, especially with that suspect chin.
    You must reread that post, it says not in the manner Hearns was, Hearns was electrifying to see live, and I followed his career from his pro debut right to the end, sadly to say it has not completely ended but it is over with now. I did not follow Trinidads career as closely, Just like all fighters 47 years old the reflexes are not their. His last 2 fights were sorry to see although he has won but he lays on the ropes and covers when he's attacked, Hearns is an all time great, I don't know if that can be said about Trinidad.
    I read the post correctly and once again I disagree. Felix Trinidad should be mentioned with the likes of Hearns (even though I think Hearns would win if they faced off). Felix Trinidad has been the classic slugger of this generation, knocking anybody out who stood toe to toe with him. Everybody from this generation feared his punching power and after a while they realized to defeat him you simply can not slug with the guy. Hearns had better punching power than Tito even though Tito packs heavy power, Tito has a better chin, but the overall difference would be that Hearns could also be a great technical boxer if he wanted and Tito only knows one direction and thats forward. Either way they will both have their pictures in the Hall of Fame.

I agree they will both be in the Hall Of Fame someday, who knows when though seing you have to be retired 5 years to get in and Hearns is still fighting and Trinidad is talking about returning again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom
    He got robbed so bad in his rematch with SRL.
    Tommy is my all-time favourite fighter and I loathe SRL with a passion but that was no robbery.

The fight under 10 point must was very, very close. The problem lies in the fact that Hearns dominated the rounds he won, and with the exception of the 12th SRL sneaked the rounds he won, thus what looks like a no-brainer decision Hearns win, turns into a draw.

SRL was sneaky like that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tommy didn't win convincly, he almost got knocked out in the final round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

its really sad,i watched a interview with hearns on boxingtalk.com today and his speech was really slurred and his responses were slow,he's a shadow of his former self

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tommy never could talk, he slurred in his early days when he was great, speech impediment maybe on top of taking so many punches in the last 25 years have certainly taking it's toll.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    Tommy is my all-time favourite fighter and I loathe SRL with a passion but that was no robbery.

The fight under 10 point must was very, very close. The problem lies in the fact that Hearns dominated the rounds he won, and with the exception of the 12th SRL sneaked the rounds he won, thus what looks like a no-brainer decision Hearns win, turns into a draw.

SRL was sneaky like that
    Even SRL has said MANY times that Tommy deserved that win.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearns had 2 knokckdowns and dominated most of the 2nd fight with his jab. Leonard had a big round in the middle where Hearns was hurt and had Hearns in trouble in the 12th (Hearns won the 1st minute and then got hurt). Even if you gave Leonard 2 10-8 rounds to even up the knockdowns, Hearns should have won of the back of outjabbing Leonard and catching him with rights coming in in most of the other rounds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X
    I just watched ESPN and they showed a special on the REAL Hit Man. It reminded me just how good Tommy Hearns really was - the guy was an asolutely huge welterweight (bloody hell, he was a 6'2" middleweight and was not dwarfed in the light-heavies). He had elongated arms, massive shoulders and blinding speed.

Everyone knows about the right hand, but he was some special boxer as well - not many people outboxed ray Leonard for 3 fights!

He was always fit, never shirked his training and you were guaranteed excitement whenever he fought - one of the most electrifying performers to climb into a ring. Yes, people say his chin was not the best, but when he was stopped (never counted out!) he really took a good shot. He would have been competitive in any era.

Any naysayers out there, or do you want to join me on remembering a true modern great?
    I'm pretty sure he was counted out against Hagler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRL was sneaky like that
    He also said Duran beat him the first time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

SRL was sneaky like that
    Like I said I am no SRL fan, and have Hearns as my all time favourite fighter, but I only scored that bout 113/112 Tommy, so IMO, it was hardly a robbery....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he was counted out against Hagler.
    [/quote]

No I don't think he was, the ref didn't have to count in that one, it was over before Tommy hit the matt.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The first Hearns /Leneard fight made both fighters great, Its the greatest welter fight Ive seen bar non. that night they were the best 2 welters Ive ever seen, and over the years nothing has happened for me to change my mind.I became a S R L fan.He showed that night what I look for in a fighter Mental fortitude he had balls. But I loved Hearns to became a fan of his ,They both took a lot from the fight in equal measure Bet they think of each other often and fondly, there no hate there only admiration
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr

SRL was sneaky like that
    He also said Duran beat him the first time
    Duran DID beat him the first time. Clearly.
    Psalm 144: Blessed be the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hearns was one of the greatest fighters of all time. His only weakness was that he could not take a punch.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No that was one of his strenghs,if you know boxing. He knew his weakness,so he added to his strenghs,Plus he had a fighters heart,Great Fighting Man
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Thread Information