Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: Who of these undefeateds stands the chance of retiring undefeated?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: I thought this article was a good read that needed a poll...so read & vote.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I thought this article was a good read that needed a poll...so read & vote.

Chasing the Zero

http://www.secondsout.com/USA/news.cfm?ccs=229&cs=19507

By Paul Upham: Money, fame, success and world titles head the list of career aspirations for most professional boxers. There is no one unique motivator for any boxer, but going through their career undefeated has to be very high up on the list. There have been a number of boxers who have retired undefeated. The most famous of them all being world heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano, whose record of 49 wins from 49 fights with 43 knockouts has become something of a Holy Grail for boxers.

Of course, any fighter can have a few wins and retire. The true measure is those boxers who have won world titles and beat the best of their era whilst keeping their losing zero. It's not an easy measure to make. Marciano had only six world title defences and many believe his reputation is enhanced immensely by having retired at the right time. In many ways, that is the key. In recent times, super middleweight champion Sven Ottke retired undefeated, 34-0 (6) with twenty-one world title defences. Looking through his record there are no huge super-fights that stand out, but his consistency is enviable.

Anyone who fights on will eventually be beaten as they get older. It is about having the right mixture of success and career achievement, whilst knowing exactly the right time to get out on top. If it were so easy, many more would have done it. The allure of huge money and the thrill of big time boxing and being 'champion of the world' is a powerful attraction to keep fighting on.

So, looking through the ranks of the best boxers in each weight class today, who out there has the best chance of retiring undefeated?

Nicolai Valuev, 43-0 (31), current WBA heavyweight champion: The 'Beast from the East' could be the most dominant of the heavyweights today such is the relative weakness of the division. The 32 year-old from St.Petersburg would appear to have a couple of good years in him as long as his legs can carry the 7'0'' frame around. Valuev could be like Ottke. Register a few more title defences in Europe over the next few years without facing his fellow title holders. The sheer size of the man makes him a daunting prospect. He can be outboxed at times, but trying to hurt and beat him is a different story altogether.

Zsolt Erdei, 24-0 (15), current WBO light heavyweight champion: The 31 year-old from Hungary would be unknown to many fans. After Julio Gonzalez upset Dariusz Michalczewski, Erdei defeated the Mexican in his first defence. His advanced age could well see him register a few more defences in Germany, he has made five already, before retiring unbeaten like Ottke.

Joe Calzaghe, 41-0 (31), current WBO/IBF super middleweight champion: After his career best win over American Jeff Lacy, 33 year-old Calzaghe is riding high on a new wave of popularity and respect. The only question now is whether Calzaghe and promoter Frank Warren play it safe with some easy title defences to finish his career, or cash in on the Welshman's genuine ability and shoot for the stars. In his current form, a genuine contender to retire undefeated.

Mikkel Kessler, 37-0 (2, current WBA super middleweight champion: The 27 year-old from Denmark is the only real true challenge to Calzaghe right now. Has the size and power to make life difficult for anyone. If the money were fair, he would probably venture to the UK to face Calzaghe. But does Joe and his promoter really want it?

Jermain Taylor, 25-0 (17), current WBC/WBA/WBO middleweight champion: The middleweight champion of the world has the power, skills and demeanour to be a genuine star. But there is one big reason why he is up against it keeping his zero. He faces Winky Wright on June 17.

Arthur Abraham, 21-0 (17), current IBF middleweight champion: Another sleeper from Europe who is impressing more and more people as his career progresses. The 26 year-old from Armenia is very strong and has influential trainer Ulli Wegner in his corner. Does he stay in Europe and fight comfortably or look for bigger money and better challenges in the USA?

Floyd Mayweather Jr, 36-0 (24), current IBF welterweight champion: Floyd would be the favourite on most people's list to retire undefeated. Right now he appears to have no equal. His skills and speed are unmatched. But will it be like that forever? In recent times other pound for pound leaders in Roy Jones Jr, Shane Mosley, Felix Trinidad and Oscar De La Hoya looked unbeatable. The key for Mayweather is how long he goes on and how high he raises the bar. At 29 years of age, Mayweather is in his prime. But how many years and fights can he go on before he starts to slip?

Ricky Hatton, 41-0 (30), current WBA welterweight champion: Hatton's close win over Luis Collazo will have many people dismissing the Hitman's chances of remaining undefeated. The nature of his slugging style will always leave him open to be hurt at some stage. Fights with Mayweather or Cotto will really test his ability.

Miguel Cotto, 26-0 (22), current WBO junior welterweight champion: Many critics will be having second thoughts about Cotto after Hatton's display against Collazo. Maybe the 25 year-old Puerto Rican could take him. But before that, Cotto has the undefeated Paul Malignaggi and then possibly Jose Luis Castillo in front of him. We'll know a lot more about where Cotto is headed in twelve months time.

Juan Diaz, 29-0 (14), current WBA lightweight champion: No matter the obstacles placed in front of him, Diaz just keeps winning. The 22 year-old Mexican's attacking style will most likely see him drop a fight at some stage, but it will be one hell of an exciting ride along the way.

Chris John, 37-0-1 (20), current WBA featherweight champion: The 26 year-old from Indonesia may have had a controversial win over Juan Manuel Marquez at home in March, but it proved he is a genuine force in the division. Whether he stays at home or takes the big step to the USA will depend a lot on his chances or keeping his zero.

Vic Darchinyan, 25-0 (20), current IBF/IBO flyweight world champion: The Armenia born Australian citizen just oozes excitement with his aggressive knock you out with every punch style. The macho of the 30 year-old will see him take on all comers. He may have to chase a few as well. As long as his punch holds out, he is in with a chance of stopping anyone.

Lorenzo Parra, 27-0 (17), current WBA flyweight world champion: A fight with Darchinyan has explosion written all over it. Though, since upsetting Eric Morel and winning the WBA title, every fight of his has gone the distance. His power is seemingly not the same against a better level of opposition.

Brian Viloria, 19-0 (12), current WBC junior flyweight world champion: The 25 year-old 'Hawaiian Punch' may have to look up to flyweight for his greatest challenges. Plenty of time still for Viloria to get better and better or meet his match.

Ivan Calderon, 26-0 (6), current WBO minimumweight world champion: Since winning the WBO title in November 2002, Calderon has strung together ten world title defences. The 31 year-old lefthander is at the age where he could easily walk away with his zero intact after a couple of more wins.

Paul Upham
    Contributing Editor
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I thought this article was a good read that needed a poll...so read & vote.

In Wacko's opinion...some of these guys are accidents waiting to happen...but in the end...I think that either Floyd or Calzaghe could retire undefeated...but I voted Calzaghe just for the fact that I think he only has 2 to 3 more fights left out there that are against beatable & reasonable opponents.

My second vote would be Floyd.
    Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I thought this article was a good read that needed a poll...so read & vote.

CC,nice article. I would love to say Calderon because P4P he has the at least top 5 boxing skills but his undoing will be moving up in weight. It could Valuev if he does an Ottke,robs and ducks his way to remaining undefeated.Calzaghe too depending on what he's doing next.John robbed JMM,and Mayweather should already have a 1 in L column however if I had to pick 1,it would be Floyd. He has the talent too. I would love to see Cotto but I think it is a burden on him and maybe if he loses,he may relax more(still don't want him to lose though). Arce would eat Darchinyan and Viloria for breakfast.Who else....Abraham would get beaten by JT and maybe Sturm and Im banking on Winky to take JT's 0. I think Corrales would put a hurting on Diaz and he does want to unify after the JLC fight so.... and Hatton COULD if he goes to 140.I'd pick Floyd,Margarito and Cotto over him@147. Kessler needs to fight someone worthwhile but yeah,he could probably keep his too.
    To be honest,in some cases,losing the 0 is not as bad as it seems,maybe for someone like JT who could rebound back stronger I believe. However,for some fighters for Mayweather,it would look awesome to go through his whole career with an 0.Did I miss anyone?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

for the article, wackster!

i agree that calzaghe may very well be the man to do it....he has only a few fights left and he seems to be very aware that an elongated shelf life isnt worthwhile....

also if he is to fight the likes of tarver (overrated big time IMO) then he can maintain his L0 status...

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    CC,nice article. I would love to say Calderon because P4P he has the at least top 5 boxing skills but his undoing will be moving up in weight. It could Valuev if he does an Ottke,robs and ducks his way to remaining undefeated.Calzaghe too depending on what he's doing next.John robbed JMM,and Mayweather should already have a 1 in L column however if I had to pick 1,it would be Floyd. He has the talent too. I would love to see Cotto but I think it is a burden on him and maybe if he loses,he may relax more(still don't want him to lose though). Arce would eat Darchinyan and Viloria for breakfast.Who else....Abraham would get beaten by JT and maybe Sturm and Im banking on Winky to take JT's 0. I think Corrales would put a hurting on Diaz and he does want to unify after the JLC fight so.... and Hatton COULD if he goes to 140.I'd pick Floyd,Margarito and Cotto over him@147. Kessler needs to fight someone worthwhile but yeah,he could probably keep his too.
    To be honest,in some cases,losing the 0 is not as bad as it seems,maybe for someone like JT who could rebound back stronger I believe. However,for some fighters for Mayweather,it would look awesome to go through his whole career with an 0.Did I miss anyone?
    agreed. a zero after the L isnt the end all and be all....

it can be a very constructive thing....

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good article, and definitely worthy of a poll, but....

I would think that retiring without any defeats is not neccasarily a sign of a great boxer....otherwise Audley Harrison could have fought bums in the back alleys of the US for another 5 years and retired undefeated, but got too big for his boots and thought he could be a great, picking some fighters near his level and showing he didn't have the heart.

As for those up there, I think Calzaghe will retire undefeated, but then I'm biased as a massive Calzaghe fan.

Also, IMO, having retired undefeated with a title means one of three things, and I'll put these in what I think is the order of likelihood:

1) He got the belt then ducked the big fights.
    2) There was a dearth of talent in the division at the time, and no one could step up with the class to beat him.
    3) True great pro.

Personally, I'm torn between whether Calzaghe fits into 2 or 3, and to really test how classy and to be a true great, he'd have to beat one of the recognised top light heavies for a belt, as it looks like Kessler and Bayer aren't going to come off.

AC-Cobra Guest

Im torn between Calzaghe and Calderon.

Clazaghe has beaten good opponents whenever theyve been put in front of him and has only a few easy fights left, the hardest of which will be either Clinton Woods, a shot RJJ or Antonio Tarver, not much chance of him losing it.

Then again, if someone read a textbook on boxing perfectly, then pulled some wierd science shizat to create the perfect boxer.... Hey Presto! Youve got Calderon. Theres no reason for him to move up or keep fighting forever because he knows that he isnt going to get massive exposure beyond what he has. Noone watches strawweight, juniorflyweight, which is a shame because someone with his amazing skills deserves the respect.

Now I think about it, I see NO way Calderon loses, even to Villora. He would have to do something stupid like jump all the way up to face Arce to lose his 0. However Calzaghe MAY lose if he gets too big for his boots and doesnt prepare properly for a Kessler fight. So I think I have to, very marginally, give this one to Calderon.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of the "star" fighters on that list Calzaghe is most likely to retire undefeated for the reasons that have already been pointed out

But I'd be surprised, and would bet against, Mayweather, Hatton, Cotto and Taylor remaining undefeated. They all still have years left and will be (hopefully) facing the cream of the crop in and around their divisions, plus all four of have already come close to losing.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I bet Joe as well, bit biased as im a fan, but as you guys said he only has a couple of fights left. Many of them are quite young and have a lot of fights left, Mayweaher obviously has a good chance especially if he continues to hand pick opponents.
    If I had to put money on it though you can't write off the likes of erdei and valuev, wouldn't bet against them knocking over a few tin cans and retiring like Ottke.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's too bad somebody dumped the sugar out of Shane's gloves other wize
    I would'nt have picked PBF, but as stated earlier he does hand pick.
    But then again if Shane still had sugar he would'nt be fighting pretty bird, I mean boy.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nice article Wackster - wouldn't be surprised if it was Valuev - shite as he is they aint gonna put the freak in with anybody that's likely to beat him!!!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Thread Information