Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Boxing Powerhouse Countries

I've always enjoyed the international flavor of this forum. It is British in origin, but also has plenty of U.S. representation, as well as boxing fans from other countries. There's been several threads on international rivalries, some that I've started, most that I've participated in.

Not only that, we have several veteran, knowledgeable posters, who obviously do their homework and are well-schooled in the history and facts about boxing. And as is to be expected, many of these aren't shy on posting their own P4P lists, with certain authority, I might add.

So, although I'm not a walking boxing encyclopedia, I have been around the forum for about a year now, and like to do my research as well. For example, I've chronicled fairly well the statistics that lead me to believe that the great Mexican fighter, Julio Cesar Chavez, although great in his own right, has had his legend overblown with the outrageous numbers that come with fighting tomato cans well into his 40th fight. Not to take away from the man, but facts are facts.

Anyway, it occurred to me that my own little island, Puerto Rico, has seen its share of great champions over the years (not that Britkid has seen it fit to include any of them in his top 50). But again, that's what makes boxing so subjective. To me, any list that omits Wilfredo Gomez, Wilfredo Benitez, or Felix Trinidad.... is a little suspect. But that's only my opinion.

But back to the subject. I did a little research of my own, and found something quite fascinating.

I looked through the numbers of past and present boxing champions by country (Boxrec). Then I looked up the population of some of these countries. And lo and behold.... some interesting facts.

Using a little statistic I'll call "Champions per Million People", and looking only at countries that have had at least 10 world champions over history, I arrived at the following rankings:

1. Puerto Rico: 6.32 champs per million people
    2. Panama: 6.19
    3. U.S.: 1.31
    4. Dominican Republic: 1.12

and so on and so forth....

Other notables on the list:

6. Cuba: 0.98
    7. Mexico: 0.73
    10. Australia: 0.60
    11. England: 0.59
    14. France: 0.48

Just some interesting facts I wanted to share with the forum.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Boxing Powerhouse Countries

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan
    I've always enjoyed the international flavor of this forum. It is British in origin, but also has plenty of U.S. representation, as well as boxing fans from other countries. There's been several threads on international rivalries, some that I've started, most that I've participated in.

Not only that, we have several veteran, knowledgeable posters, who obviously do their homework and are well-schooled in the history and facts about boxing. And as is to be expected, many of these aren't shy on posting their own P4P lists, with certain authority, I might add.
    Thats what this place is all about feeding off eachother and learning together.

So, although I'm not a walking boxing encyclopedia, I have been around the forum for about a year now, and like to do my research as well. For example, I've chronicled fairly well the statistics that lead me to believe that the great Mexican fighter, Julio Cesar Chavez, although great in his own right, has had his legend overblown with the outrageous numbers that come with fighting tomato cans well into his 40th fight. Not to take away from the man, but facts are facts.
    Ha ha ha ha!! this can be seen in many or all of boxers records such as Arguello, Duran, even your own Gomez for his 5th defense of his WBC Super Bantam title he fought Sakad Petchyindee with a record of 2-0-0, he then followed it fighting for his 10th defense against Julio Hernandez who was 2-8-0 it happens in the sport all the greats have done it

Anyway, it occurred to me that my own little island, Puerto Rico, has seen its share of great champions over the years (not that Britkid has seen it fit to include any of them in his top 50). But again, that's what makes boxing so subjective. To me, any list that omits Wilfredo Gomez, Wilfredo Benitez, or Felix Trinidad.... is a little suspect. But that's only my opinion.
    Question why don't you ever bring up Carlos Ortiz? IMO he had a better career then Benitez & Trinidad.

But back to the subject. I did a little research of my own, and found something quite fascinating.

I looked through the numbers of past and present boxing champions by country (Boxrec). Then I looked up the population of some of these countries. And lo and behold.... some interesting facts.

Using a little statistic I'll call "Champions per Million People", and looking only at countries that have had at least 10 world champions over history, I arrived at the following rankings:

for the time & research I like well put together threads like this with stats. I don't know if you ever saw the thread I did it was similar to this one actually someone brought up that question of how many champs per people ratio was.... I'll paste a link to the thread.

Heres the link
    http://www.saddoboxing.com/boxing_fo...html#msg305327

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMicK

Ha ha ha ha!! this can be seen in many or all of boxers records such as Arguello, Duran, even your own Gomez for his 5th defense of his WBC Super Bantam title he fought Sakad Petchyindee with a record of 2-0-0, he then followed it fighting for his 10th defense against Julio Hernandez who was 2-8-0 it happens in the sport all the greats have done it
    I'm gonna stand by my opinion. Among the world's elite, you'll see many of them at the 40, 50 or 60 win mark toward the end of their careers. Many of them begin fighting world-class competition around their 20th fight. When you look at JCC's record, and believe me... I have, the thing that jumps out at you is that he fought maybe 2 or 3 fighters with winning records in his first 40-some fights. And all of them in Mexico. Not exactly a roaring start. Again, not dissing the man. But I like to keep a little perspective.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Question why don't you ever bring up Carlos Ortiz? IMO he had a better career then Benitez & Trinidad.
    Carlos Ortiz was a great champion. But I still believe that both Gomez and Trinidad had better, more impressive careers. But I can see where a point could be made for Carlos Ortiz... he was great.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

For the stats. Your little Island has had some great fighters. Tito is one of my all-time favs.

As far as the ratio, good for Puerto Rico, and Panama, but their small populations, and lack of other pro sports helps pad that. But still, interesting, and good job.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
    For the stats. Your little Island has had some great fighters. Tito is one of my all-time favs.

As far as the ratio, good for Puerto Rico, and Panama, but their small populations, and lack of other pro sports helps pad that. But still, interesting, and good job.
    Thanks for the CC..... have one back.

But Puerto Rico is into more sports than just boxing. Puerto Rico has a lot of players in Major League Baseball also, and usually does a pretty fair job in international basketball competitions.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm gonna stand by my opinion. Among the world's elite, you'll see many of them at the 40, 50 or 60 win mark toward the end of their careers. Many of them begin fighting world-class competition around their 20th fight. When you look at JCC's record, and believe me... I have, the thing that jumps out at you is that he fought maybe 2 or 3 fighters with winning records in his first 40-some fights. And all of them in Mexico. Not exactly a roaring start. Again, not dissing the man. But I like to keep a little perspective.
    We've had this talk before TitoFan

I'll stand by mine and say that they are all guilty of doing this....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor

Thanks for the CC..... have one back.

But Puerto Rico is into more sports than just boxing. Puerto Rico has a lot of players in Major League Baseball also, and usually does a pretty fair job in international basketball competitions.
    You beat me to my edit. I was gonna say that Puerto rico and Panama has quite a few pro baseball players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

NICE JOB!! GOOD AND INTERESTING INFORMATION!!

P.R. IS #1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

"Puerto Rico has produced more champions per capita than any other country"- Emmanuel Steward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

they must have like an assembly line in puerto rico and mexico as soon as one generation of fighters dry, there are always some fighters available to replace them
    "Very few people really understand what it means to be a fighter. I hate it when I hear someone say, 'That fighter doesn't have guts. I hate that, I don't care if you're a world champion six times over or a four-round fighter, to step inside that ring, you have to have guts" Oscar De La Hoya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by chamiley
    they must have like an assembly line in puerto rico and mexico as soon as one generation of fighters dry, there are always some fighters available to replace them
    lol
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Barrabas
    "Puerto Rico has produced more champions per capita than any other country"- Emmanuel Steward
    He's got THAT right. And what's truly astounding is the humongous gap between Puerto Rico and Panama and the rest of the boxing world. When based on the the country's population, these two stand head and shoulders above any of the other recognized world boxing powers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Anyway, it occurred to me that my own little island, Puerto Rico, has seen its share of great champions over the years (not that Britkid has seen it fit to include any of them in his top 50).
    If this thread was not so well thought out, I would be suing for libel .

I have both Trinidad and Benitez in my top 50, and Gomez plus Ortiz in my top 100

AC-Cobra Guest

Great thread nice research

Peurto Rico and Panama have astounding records here, but I wouldnt say that the gap between them and other nations is as great as the figures suggest, if there is even a gap. The USA definitely deserve to be tied top at least, even if many cases can be made against the benefits their fighters receive over others (easier mass publicity, money to entice title holders etc)

P.S You couldnt have fiddled it so England was above Aus no? Damn you

Thread Information