Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default tabata intervals

found this on www.warriorforce.com written by ross enamait

As I am writing this newsletter, I am happy to report that the temperature is a balmy 10 degrees Fahrenheit outside. The wind chill is –4. Last week, the wind chill hit –30 degrees.

There is snow on the ground and it is cold. During this time of the year, you may have difficulty running outside. I personally enjoy running in the snow, but you may not have access to a convenient running location.

So what do you do? Do you sacrifice your conditioning because of a little cold weather?

Of course not!

There are several indoor options that you can use to crank up the intensity of your anaerobic conditioning session. Tabata Intervals are just one example

Tabata Intervals

In recent months, I have received a steady flow of questions regarding Tabata Intervals. What are they, and how can they help?

I first wrote about Tabata Intervals in the The Underground Guide to Warrior Fitness.

The term “Tabata Interval” originated from a study performed by Dr. Izumi Tabata (and colleagues) at the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan. Below I have provided an abstract from this study. You can also view the abstract online by Clicking Here.

ABSTRACT

Effects of moderate-intensity endurance and high-intensity intermittent training on anaerobic capacity and VO2max.

Tabata I, Nishimura K, Kouzaki M, Hirai Y, Ogita F, Miyachi M, Yamamoto K.

Department of Physiology and Biomechanics, National Institute of Fitness and Sports, Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan.

This study consists of two training experiments using a mechanically braked cycle ergometer. First, the effect of 6 wk of moderate-intensity endurance training (intensity: 70% of maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max), 60 min.d-1, 5 d.wk-1) on the anaerobic capacity (the maximal accumulated oxygen deficit) and VO2max was evaluated. After the training, the anaerobic capacity did not increase significantly (P > 0.10), while VO2max increased from 53 +/- 5 ml.kg-1 min-1 to 58 +/- 3 ml.kg-1.min-1 (P < 0.01) (mean +/- SD). Second, to quantify the effect of high-intensity intermittent training on energy release, seven subjects performed an intermittent training exercise 5 d.wk-1 for 6 wk. The exhaustive intermittent training consisted of seven to eight sets of 20-s exercise at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max with a 10-s rest between each bout. After the training period, VO2max increased by 7 ml.kg-1.min-1, while the anaerobic capacity increased by 28%. In conclusion, this study showed that moderate-intensity aerobic training that improves the maximal aerobic power does not change anaerobic capacity and that adequate high-intensity intermittent training may improve both anaerobic and aerobic energy supplying systems significantly, probably through imposing intensive stimuli on both systems.

Tabata Summary

Tabata Intervals consist of 20 seconds of maximum intensity exercise, followed by 10 seconds of rest. This cycle is repeated 8 times (for a total of 4-minutes). Although Dr. Tabata used a mechanically braked cycle ergometer, you can apply “Tabata Intervals” to several forms of exercise, such as hitting a heavy bag, sprinting, jumping rope, or fast paced bodyweight squats.

Your first reaction might be, “How effective can this protocol really be with just 4 minutes of exercise?”

Let me answer this question for you… VERY EFFECTIVE!

You will be amazed at how intense 4 minutes of exercise will feel. This form of training taxes both the anaerobic and aerobic energy systems. Tabata Intervals are excellent for those athletes who participate in high intensity sports such as boxing, MMA, or wrestling.

After just 6 weeks of testing, Dr. Tabata noted a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity along with a 14% increase in V02Max. The 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off interval system improved both the anaerobic and aerobic energy systems significantly. These results were witnessed by physically fit athletes. Many tests are conducted on deconditioned subjects, which makes the test results more difficult to evaluate. Dr. Tabata's test was much more effective, as it produced a positive response on individuals who were already in shape.

This form of training is also effective for fat loss. Tabata Intervals will raise your body’s metabolic rate long after the exercise session is completed. You will continue to burn fat throughout the day. Recent studies have shown that intense interval training will elevate the rate that your body burns calories by up to 142% more than low-intensity, continuous exercise

As mentioned, you can perform Tabata Intervals with several forms of exercise. The most obvious is sprinting. For example, sprint 20 seconds, and then rest 10 seconds, and continue until you have completed 8 x 20 second sprints. Always begin with a moderate warm-up and cool down session.

A “winter friendly” option can include a variety of exercises. Below I have provided one sample workout.

Tabata Workout Sample

Jump Rope (High Knee jump rope style, sprint in place)
    Pushups
    Squats
    Chinnies
    This workout will consist of 4 separate Tabata Intervals, each consisting of 4 minutes. The total workout lasts 16 minutes. You can perform this workout indoors.

Another great Tabata workout can be performed on the heavy bag. Punch non-stop for 20-second intervals, followed by 10 seconds of rest. You will be surprised at the difficulty of this 4-minute heavy bag session.

Give these Tabata Intervals a try. 3-4 days per week is ideal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: tabata intervals

if you didnt understand it, what it basically means is you choose an exercise say push ups, u do push ups for 20 seconds as many as you can as fast as you can then take a 10 sec break then repeat another 7 times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It makes sense that it would be quite affective for sports like boxing. I'm incorporating this style of training myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

do this with running and you will be a killer when it comes to stamina

Thread Information