Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring Magazine top 10 P4P as of 12th June 2006.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ring Magazine top 10 P4P as of 12th June 2006.

FLOYD MAYWEATHER
    #1 Welterweight Contender

WINKY WRIGHT
    #1 Middleweight Contender

MANNY PACQUIAO
    #1 Jr. Lightweight Contender

BERNARD HOPKINS
    Lt. Heavyweight Champion

MARCO ANTONIO BARRERA
    #2 Jr. Lightweight Contender

RAFAEL MARQUEZ
    #1 Bantamweight Contender

RICKY HATTON
    Jr. Welterweight Champion

JOSE LUIS CASTILLO
    #3 Jr. Welterweight Contender

JOE CALZAGHE
    Super Middleweight Champion

PONGSAKLEK WONJONGKAM
    #1 Flyweight Contender

I havent got much complaint with that P4P list.

Any thoughts? Maybe Jermaine Taylor deserves to be in there considering he beat the number four twice?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ring Magazine top 10 P4P as of 12th June 2006.

I agree with that list 100%. But no Taylor should not be on it. He was left off before for a good reason.He won but did not look pound for pound . He shouldn't get any credit for another mans victory
    Step up so I can put you down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So where are you going to rate Taylor when he beats Winky?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

why no ODH? Hatton beats one name and makes the list? Castillo shouldn't be there either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have Winky@1,B Hop,as amazing as he is (and I think he beat JT at least once_),I don't think should be there.He has lost 2 of his last 3.The history books will say JT beat B Hop twice so he should be there more than B Hop.JLC should defintely not be there anymore and Wonjongkam does not deserve to be there more than Arce/Calderon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Missy
    why no ODH? Hatton beats one name and makes the list? Castillo shouldn't be there either.
    Because Dela Hoya has fought once in last 2 years, and beat a guy who was probably not in the top 50 p4p in Mayorga, priror to that he had lost two out of three, so how can he be top 10 please tell me?

On the other hand Hatton has won three belts in his last three fights and also moved up weight oh and i forgot the first of those three fights was against most peoples p4p No.3, who had not been beaton for the previous eight years, so does that explain it for you??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    I have Winky@1,B Hop,as amazing as he is (and I think he beat JT at least once_),I don't think should be there.He has lost 2 of his last 3.The history books will say JT beat B Hop twice so he should be there more than B Hop.JLC should defintely not be there anymore and Wonjongkam does not deserve to be there more than Arce/Calderon.
    I see what you are saying but if hop shouldn't be there than neither should taylor.A disputed win over one man should not get you on the list. I didn't even put hatton on list at first and he stopped tszyu. Why?Cause fighting and beating 1 man does not prove you are pound for pound. It proves you have potential.Hop didn't get on the list for 1 guy. He worked hard for years and only hit the top during the end of his career.Imo taylor lost those fights and looked like a novice in both. That ain't the stuff pound for pounders are made of.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MRMANICK
    I see what you are saying but if hop shouldn't be there than neither should taylor.A disputed win over one man should not get you on the list. I didn't even put hatton on list at first and he stopped tszyu. Why?Cause fighting and beating 1 man does not prove you are pound for pound. It proves you have potential.Hop didn't get on the list for 1 guy. He worked hard for years and only hit the top during the end of his career.Imo taylor lost those fights and looked like a novice in both. That ain't the stuff pound for pounders are made of.
    for making some good points.

I like hatton but i think there are a hell of alot of questions of his defence, if he comes back with more head movment and some defence then i agree for him being on the list. There is more to boxing then just trying to non stop come forward and hurting sum1

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor should be there, the hate this guy gets is incredible.

If Taylor looked shit in his two fights with Hopkins then Hopkins obviously looked even more so.

Hopkins beat Tarver, but lets be honest Tarver just wasn't there that night. I reckon Virgil Hill or Thomas Hearns could have beat him on that showing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow,nice stuf,CC bro.Looking at it your way though would mean leaving out Hatton and JT,can you do me your P4P list then??Just out of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo

If Taylor looked shit in his two fights with Hopkins then Hopkins obviously looked even more so.

Hopkins beat Tarver, but lets be honest Tarver just wasn't there that night. I reckon Virgil Hill or Thomas Hearns could have beat him on that showing.
    It's not hate,I like the guy but the first fight could have gone either way,the second to JT but in neither fight did he look like a world beater.He looked OK....at best.He was fighting a 40 year old albeit a wily one but you would think he would have let his hands go more etc People see it more as Bernard losing than Taylor winning and I can concur with that view.Evidence of that can be seen in the latter stages of fight 1 where B Hop,upped the work rate a tiny bit and Taylor could not handle it.

Ok,sooo,I'm buzzing,Mr Manicks outlook has changed my own view on P4P,maybe I have Hatton too high,I mean it is not only skill but who you have beaten etc is 1 admittedly A* win enough for top 5 position??Let's talk people.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow,nice stuf,CC bro.Looking at it your way though would mean leaving out Hatton and JT,can you do me your P4P list then??Just out of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo

If Taylor looked S*** in his two fights with Hopkins then Hopkins obviously looked even more so.

It's not hate,I like the guy but the first fight could have gone either way,the second to JT but in neither fight did he look like a world beater.He looked OK....at best.He was fighting a 40 year old albeit a wily one but you would think he would have let his hands go more etc People see it more as Bernard losing than Taylor winning and I can concur with that view.Evidence of that can be seen in the latter stages of fight 1 where B Hop,upped the work rate a tiny bit and Taylor could not handle it.

Ok,sooo,I'm buzzing,Mr Manicks outlook has changed my own view on P4P,maybe I have Hatton too high,I mean it is not only skill but who you have beaten etc is 1 admittedly A* win enough for top 5 position??Let's talk people.
    Hey game, I agree with you but you know what, when Jermain stepped into the ring to fight Hopkins for the first time he was fighting a legend, a man who had made more title defenses than any other middleweight in history and a man who nobody ever looked good against.

He fought a brilliant tactical fight to beat Hopkins first time around. Sure if Hopkins started sooner he could have won but he didn't and thus lost a close but fair decision.

I think by about round 9 everyone's perception was that he needed a knockout a win and although he came back strongly you only get 1 point back per round and he couldn't recover the lost ground.

Taylor showed signs of cracking in the first fight come the end but lets be fair to him it was his biggest fight of his career and a learning curve.

The second fight I have absolutely no sympathy at all for Hopkins. He started too late again which considering how he lost the first fight was just criminal. He didn't deserve to get his title back with his performance in the second fight. Again he staged a good comeback to recover some lost ground but I think Jermain came of age in the second fight and had the better of Hopkins in the final round, thus deserving his win.

Hopkins looked great against Tarver but as I said that was a Tarver not even close to his best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor deserves to be there much more than Hatton. What has Hatton done lately aside from almost getting his ass handed to him by a mediocre fighter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree for the most part, but MAB and JLC being ahead of Calzaghe is nonsense. Also Pongsaklek Wonjongkam ahead of Taylor is just as bad, if not a little worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My list:

1-pbf
    2-pac man
    3-winky wright
    4-bernard hopkins
    5-R.Marquez
    6-barrera
    7-hatton
    8-joe c
    9- j taylor
    10-arce

I put pac ahead of wright cause i don't think him beating the smaller mosley and the semi-retired trinidad is all that but he hasn't lost in a while. The only reason i got jt up there is cause in a sense i have too. I can't take the W away from him even though i don't think he deserved it. But in a pound for pound sense i can see him losing to alot of people.I would have hatton lower too but he has fought 3 title fights in a row. Even though i think maussa and collazo(i feel collazo won) are weak opponents he did win.Joe only gets on cause of his longevity. I think most of his opponents were weak including lacy but he is undefeated and has defended his paper title 17 times so i have too.I love arce. If he fights and beats martin castillo i would bump him up like 3 spaces.Hes been undefeated for a while now and has fought a lot of game fighters. I respect that. Well thats my list. Some may like it some may not but i think its fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Will someone explain to me why MAB would be ahead of Joe Calzaghe? He struggled with Rocky, will more than likely get destroyed by Pac if it happens again. Just a bit confused on that one..

Thread Information