Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Floyd is cornered now, must fight Margarito

www.boxinginsider.com

Floyd is Cornered Now, Must Fight Margarito
    By Scoop Malinowski

...or the world will know he's The $8 million CHICKEN!

Bob Arum has again stepped up and flashed an $8 million dollar offer to Floyd Mayweather to fight WBO Welterweight king Antonio Margarito in Las Vegas on October 7. For Mayweather the offer is bittersweet - because it would be the biggest purse of his career but also the most viciously dangerous fight of his life, one that could very well leave him knocked out cold in front of the entire world.

Mayweather is stuck in a sticky spot. His aspiration to fight Oscar in a big money business fight fell apart. And with that option/escape hatch no longer available, Mayweather again must deal with a proposition we know he does not want to mess with: Mr. Margarito. I say "we" because virtually every boxing insider in the know - including many astute boxing fans - are all well aware of the truth that Mayweather does not want to step in the ring and compete against the mysterious but very formidable Margarito.

The powers-that-be in the world of boxing want Mayweather vs. Margarito now. They are tired of the same old tired fights of Mayweather easily beating outclassed opposition. The powers, like everyone else, understand Margarito is a hungry, strong and relentless champion who is confident he will destroy Floyd. He has the tools and the mentality to give Floyd not only a real fight, but even a dramatic devastating highlight reel defeat. The powers want to see the marvelous talents of Floyd tested and pushed to the limit. The industry is tired of boring, suspenseless glorified sparring exhibitions from Mayweather.

We are soon about to find out if Floyd has the confidence in himself to take on the challenge of Margarito. Or is Floyd a phony chicken champion who would rather take on faded former champions like Vargas or Mosley, or absolutely anybody but Margarito?

It's a classic case of "the bigger they are, the harder they don't want to fall." Mayweather has cultivated a superstar image to the public, carrying himself like an arrogant, conceited champion who is just too damn good for everyone else. And Floyd has convinced much of the world that he is such an extraordinary champion, so marvelously superior to every other fighter that he will gladly fight whoever brings him the most money, it doesn't matter who it is, Floyd will whoop 'em all.

But the presence of Margarito is cracking that facade. Double talk betrays the truth. Floyd's trainer/uncle Roger said earlier this year Floyd would beat Margarito easy. Floyd himself has claimed not to know who Margarito is, then later revised those ignorant comments to that he'd fight him if the money is right, it makes dollars it makes sense, he's average, slow and would be easy work.

Now the money is right. The timing is right. Everything is right.

Mayweather likes to play it off as if his team (Leonard Ellerbe) calls the out of the ring shots, and then he takes care of everything in the ring. But you have to think a guy with an ego like Floyd calls all his own shots, he only hides behind Ellerbe when it suits the situation. Ellerbe said this week Floyd's next fight will be against the Vargas-Mosley winner, Baldomir (if he beats Gatti), Hatton, Cotto and even dropped Margarito's name in for good measure. Ah, they all do the name dropping bit, just to make it look good.

Everyone knows Floyd is not going to make anywhere near $8 million for any of those fights, only Margarito will bring that kind of bounty. (Only Margarito would accept the small short end of about $1 million vs. Floyd, all those other names will want approximately 50%.)

So Mayweather is in a corner now - cornered by Margarito, Arum, HBO, and a bag of $8 million dollars (and that's just the minimum guarantee! Don't discount the value of the Mexican pay-per-view numbers.). The powers that rule boxing want to make Floyd even more philthy rich, they want to pay him $8 million plus to fight Margarito.

If Floyd runs away from Margarito now, he has been exposed. If he ducks Margarito on October 7th in the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas on HBO pay-per-view, Phloyd's a phony. A phake, phony, phalse, phraudulent, phictitious counterpheit champion who is phearful, phrightened and woephully aphraid of Antonio Margarito.

Nobody likes a liar. If Floyd wants to duck Margarito now, at least he should consider confessing the plain truth to the world, "I am aphraid of Antonio Margarito. He's too big, too strong, too fast, too confident, too talented for me. He deserves to be a boxing superstar like me, I just don't have the courage to give him the same opportunities that were given to me."

Then we will respect Floyd for telling the truth. Because the truth is the most valuable commodity on earth, the rest is all garbage.

We know you were lying to us Floyd when you told us you didn't know who Margarito was and that he was nothing special, just slow and average. We'll forgive you, if you step up and be brave like Jermain Taylor who fought Winky when he didn't have to. Be brave like Bernard Hopkins, who fought Taylor when he didn't have to. Be brave like Wladimir Klitschko, who could have ducked Samuel Peter.

Antonio Margarito has paid his dues. He has been avoided for one reason or another by Mosley, Vargas, Wright, Baldomir. He deserves the big money, big spotlight fight as much as - if not more - than any fighter in the world today.

Mayweather has been blessed with and granted the big fight opportunities which he has capitalized on and made himself a world famous superstar. If he doesn't have the class to give the same opportunity to a deserving fighter like Margarito, Mayweather ought to hang his head in shame, put his tail between his legs and leave the sport. Leave the sport to the real champions, the real warriors who aren't afraid to fight the best.

Because nobody respects a phony.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Floyd is cornered now, must fight Margarito

Floyd will continue to say "Who has he fought? Tell him to get another belt" etc. for as long as he can. He'll try waiting for him to lose or something.

If Floyd mans up and takes the fight, that'd be a tough fight just for Margarito's size and strength. And hunger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Solid post. But I don't think Mayweather is scared of Margarito in the least. The reason he turned down the fight the first time around is because he was trying to land the bout with ODH. 8 million compared to 20 million hmmmmm let me think? Of course he was going to pass up the fight ODH would have been a tougher opponent as well as more money. Now I know we are excited about Margarito and his KO over Kermit Cintron but the way you describe him is a little too much. With hype like this he is going to become overated, we need to see more from him before we give him such high status. There is no doubt that Floyd will take this fight now that ODH is off the table.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This one is bound to raise some debate....should Floyd get it on with Margarito now the DLH fight is now seemingly off for the year?

Hatton isnt ready for Floyd until next year IMO, not after the Collazo fight...and the winner of Baldomir: Gatti....PBF: Gatti 2 anybody? Methinks not...

Is it maybe time for PBF to take the cash and show us once and for all whether Margarito can put up or shut up??

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by gbrandon

Solid post. But I don't think Mayweather is scared of Margarito in the least. The reason he turned down the fight the first time around is because he was trying to land the bout with ODH. 8 million compared to 20 million hmmmmm let me think? Of course he was going to pass up the fight ODH would have been a tougher opponent as well as more money. Now I know we are excited about Margarito and his KO over Kermit Cintron but the way you describe him is a little too much. With hype like this he is going to become overated, we need to see more from him before we give him such high status. There is no doubt that Floyd will take this fight now that ODH is off the table.
    These are not neccesarily my opinions...they are opinions from a writer at boxing insider....im trying to stimulate some debate with the article though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think he mighta been talking about me.

Either way, I'm not sold completely on Margarito either. I don't think he's a special fighter. But stylistically, with his height, reach, strength, weight he could cause Lil Floyd problems. I think Floyd would rather fight Oscar De La Hoya's, guys who won't necessarily go in and come forward for as long as it takes to bust that ass. It was the same with Judah - layed off after a while. He hasn't taken on a fighter who will definitely come forward and pressure him for 12 since the Castillo fight, IMO. Well, Gatti, but we all knew Floyd was going to tear that ass up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The_Mac10
    I think he mighta been talking about me.

Either way, I'm not sold completely on Margarito either. I don't think he's a special fighter. But stylistically, with his height, reach, strength, weight he could cause Lil Floyd problems. I think Floyd would rather fight Oscar De La Hoya's, guys who won't necessarily go in and come forward for as long as it takes to bust that a**. It was the same with Judah - layed off after a while. He hasn't taken on a fighter who will definitely come forward and pressure him for 12 since the Castillo fight, IMO. Well, Gatti, but we all knew Floyd was going to tear that a** up.

I will agree with you that it will be his biggest challenge to date for Floyd because Margarito is a big strong guy but I have to put my money on Floyd, he has given me no reason to believe that anybody in that weight class can beat him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sure, Floyd's the favourite.

I've never seen the pair together, but I'm sure Margarito pretty much dwarfs Floyd. Or maybe I'm exagerrating. But you can't fault Floyd if he's even a little intimidated my Margarito.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC Miles,you knew reading that would put a fat smile on my face!!! Now we willsee if Floyd is ducking Tony! There is no one else worth fighting,no one else who makes as much money and IF PBF says who has he fought,than fighting over the hill guys like Vargas and Mosley will look impressive won't it!
    It is time for Floyd to truly be challenged against a man who maybe technically lacking but has the power.will,and the sheer amount of leather to beat anyone at 147 including Floyd.PBF will have to be at his best and he CAN win,b ut no one will push him harder@147 than Antonio!!! Let's make the fight Pretty Boy,it's time to fight a TRUE 147 pounder!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Game
    CC Miles,you knew reading that would put a fat smile on my face!!! Now we willsee if Floyd is ducking Tony! There is no one else worth fighting,no one else who makes as much money and IF PBF says who has he fought,than fighting over the hill guys like Vargas and Mosley will look impressive won't it!
    It is time for Floyd to truly be challenged against a man who maybe technically lacking but has the power.will,and the sheer amount of leather to beat anyone at 147 including Floyd.PBF will have to be at his best and he CAN win,b ut no one will push him harder@147 than Antonio!!! Let's make the fight Pretty Boy,it's time to fight a TRUE 147 pounder!!!

i think ricky hatton would be a bigger fight, and more money.
    but margarito is good as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This guy's article is dumb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by frozensolid_702
    Quote Originally Posted by The Game

i think ricky hatton would be a bigger fight, and more money.
    but margarito is good as well
    Agreed. Though perhaps not--he certainly didn't make a name for himself in America with that last outing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im no Hatton fan but i think he would be a better match up with floyd than Margarito ... Personally i think Mayweather would terrorize Margarito
    1)Margarito throws these loonnnnnnggg sweeping hooks that by the time he got to floyd he will have gotten hit 3 times and would miss.

2) He Slow! compared to floyd he is extremely slow. Yeah he's probably the strongest welter but you cant hurt what u cant catch

3) He tends to get hit ALOT dont under estimate floyds power.

4) Yeah hes a volume puncher BUT again hes SLOW! every punch he throws floyd gonna clock him 3 times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look. I think that Floyd should hurry up and take the fight. This guy has been saying if it makes dollars it makes sense. Margarito is no Castillo and I think PBF would win easily. People are building Margarito into Tommy Hearns before the Ray Leonard fight. Margarito isn't that good guys. The only problem with fighting Margarito is that when PBF beats Margarito, people will switch tunes and probably be like "yeah, the guy hadn't fought top competition yet" or come up with some excuse to discredit Floyd, even though Floyd was saying it all along just like Gatti. I remember before the Gatti fight, people were like "PBF is gonna get KTFO for saying Gatti is a club fighter" and after PBF won, those same people were like "Gatti didn't have the skills to beat Floyd anyway, this win proves nothing, why did he even take the fight?" If Floyd wins convincingly like he usually always does will he get any credit?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I totally freakin agree

Thread Information