Thread: Malignaggi surgery successful, wants to fight before end of the year

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Malignaggi surgery successful, wants to fight before end of the year

http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article8688.html

Press Release: Paulie "The Magic Man" Malignaggi (21-1, 5 KOs)had successful surgery last Saturday to repair the fractured right cheekbone he on suffered June 10, 2006 against WBO light welterweight champion Miguel Cotto (27-0, 22 KOs). The surgery was performed at the Lahey Clinic & Medical Center in Burlington, Massachusetts. Malignaggi, who gained valuable experience and respect going 12 rounds with Cotto, vows that he will be world champion in 2007.

Paulie's personal physician, Dr. Steven W. Margles, also from the Lahey Clinic, reported that Dr. David J. Bryan, the senior plastic surgeon at the Lahey Clinic, felt that after a completed evaluation surgery was  necessary. "Dr. Bryan was Paulie's surgeon," Dr. Margles said. "It took less than two hours and went extremely well. All fractures are back in good position and a very thin plate with four scews was used to stabilize the most structurally important fracture. The plate is totally covered and will in no way interfere with Paulie's ability to box in the future. Although swollen and bloody, respectively, against Cotto, Paulie's jaw was totally fine as was his nose "We're hoping he will be able to train in six weeks, but he will need to avoid sparring for three months. The final recommendation will be made pending x-rays. The cut is healing fine. Neither the incision from surgery nor cut from the head butt in the first round will result in any visible scarring. In the future these injuries will in no way slow down his hands.....or mouth."

Malignaggi has been recovering at the home of his manager, Sal LoNano, in Tewksbury, Massachusetts, but he should return home to Brooklyn later this week after a re-evaluation.

"I was disappointed after the fight," Paulie remarked, "but my spirits have been going up. I look forward to coming back. Right now I'm resting and watching a lot of World Cup soccer. "This hasn't changed me a bit; I'll be the same as before. My goal is to be world champion within 12-18 months. Cotto's a great champion, but I promise you, our paths will cross again, even if it's at 147 pounds. Next time, though, I want to fight him in a ring that's larger than a playpen (like at Madison Square Garden). I have much respect for Cotto and his team. We're both the same age and there's no doubt we'll meet again."

LoNano, who also managed Micky Ward, praised Paulie and Dr. Margles. "I'm very proud to manage a kid like Paulie Malignaggi who has so much heart and character," Sal commented. "He will be world champion. To go 12 rounds against a great fighter like Cotto, especially with those injuries, already makes him a champion in my mind. Paulie was amazing. He couldn't breath from all of the blood in his mouth and nose, and he had trouble seeing out of one eye from the cut. No excuses, though, even with the small size of the ring and cushiness of the canvas. We may have lost the fight, but Paulie won the night. He'll be out of action for a while, but Paulie will return stronger, mentally and physically. We're so lucky to have Dr. Margles as part of our team. He's always there for us, working side by side, and I think that he's the best fight doctor in the business today."

Malignaggi has received hundreds of supportive emails and cards wishing him best wishes, including one from Hall of Fame boxer Barry McGuigan, and phone calls from Arturo Gatti, Ward and Vinny Paz telling him how proud they are of him.

"I've been overwhelmed with all of the fan support," Paulie concluded. "If there's one positive to come out of the fight it's how many fans I won over. They saw how seriously I want to win and that I wasn't all talk. It's not all of the hype or credibility; it's the fan support that counts the most. I'll be back fighting before the end of the year."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Malignaggi surgery successful, wants to fight before end of the year

He needs to get on some HGH or something because the lack of KO power is going to haunt him......"Show me a fighter who's all heart and I'll show you a fighter ready to take a beating" ala Million Dollar Baby.....The bigger swatters are going to walk through and land those bombs....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Malignaggi surgery successful, wants to fight before end of the year

I disagree, I think he can come back and make a decent recovery....a good boxer can nullify raw power with skill....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

IF HE CAN AVOID A FEW MORE PUNCHES AND LAND ALL HIS LIGHTNING FLURRYS HE WILL BE CHAMP...  HE'LL NEED TO DO IT ON POINTS AND BE PREPARED TO GO 12 ROUNDS HIS WHOLE CAREER...  YOU CANT WIN A FIGHT ON HEART ALONE.............UNLESS YOU'RE ARTURO GATTI
    Hidden Content
    "There's nothing special about him." -Sergiy Dzinziruk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just not Cotto's

As much as I respect Paulie and boxers like him, he's horrible for the sport. If there's any chance of boxing getting back to the level of popularity it was in the 70's, we have to pay someone to kill fighters like Magalini and Ruiz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by raleights
    Just not Cotto's

As much as I respect Paulie and boxers like him, he's horrible for the sport. If there's any chance of boxing getting back to the level of popularity it was in the 70's, we have to pay someone to kill fighters like Magalini and Ruiz.
    bad for the sport? yep... Heres the rest of the people that should be killed

cc
    and Mora
    and Tarver
    and the entire heavey w.d.
    and all the governing bodies and leave it up to ring magazine.
    and Don King
    and Larry Merchant

this tires me... I cant list all of them
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

and Corey Spinks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no wait, the way he dances into the ring is the greatest thing on earth...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

no wait, the way he dances into the ring is the greatest thing on earth...
    AND THE WAY JAB DANCES OUT

WAIT...WHERES SAL?
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he hides in his closet when we talk about this subject

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

he hides in his closet when we talk about this subject
    FIRST TIME I'VE SEEN U BREAK OVER 50% WHEN IT COMES TO CC'S LOL.......
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Paulie deserves much respect for goin through that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Paulie would have deserved much respect for what he went through,, But the fact that he talked ssooooo muchhhhhhhhh crapppppp he should get none.. the way he was talking he should of dominated Cotto. He Deserved to get the crap beat out of him he disrepected Cotto many times and Cottos ability NOW hes trying to play that humble song GET OUT OF HERE WIT THAT he got chumped and deserved it and really deserved more than he got

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ThA BrOnX BuLL
    Paulie would have deserved much respect for what he went through,, But the fact that he talked ssooooo muchhhhhhhhh crapppppp he should get none.. the way he was talking he should of dominated Cotto. He Deserved to get the crap beat out of him he disrepected Cotto many times and Cottos ability NOW hes trying to play that humble song GET OUT OF HERE WIT THAT he got chumped and deserved it and really deserved more than he got
    valid point

does anyone have vid clips of the fight?
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

AC-Cobra Guest

Who wants boring fighters who dont say anything before a fight. Fighters do that for us the fans, to hype the match, get us to watch their fight. This was Paulie's chance to become a big name and he knew he had o make a noise. He didnt go over the top there was no "im gonna send you to see your dead mother" crap that you hear from Mayorga (hides from the imminent flaming from Hulk). Paulie was in there with a great fighter, not a good fighter, a great fighter and gave a great account of himself, never giving up when so many would have. He desrves respect for that.

Thread Information