Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Corrales vs Casamayor III..........

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Corrales vs Casamayor III..........

Corrales gets trilogy request, but with Casamayor
    By Dan Rafael ESPN.com http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/box...ory?id=2527159

Lightweight champion Diego "Chico" Corrales will get his trilogy. It just won't be with Jose Luis Castillo.

Flyweight unification in works
    Promoter Gary Shaw hasn't only been working on finalizing a third Diego Corrales-Joel Casamayor fight.
    Shaw told ESPN.com on Saturday that he is also putting together a flyweight unification fight between title holders Vic Darchinyan and Omar Narvaez for Showtime's Nov. 4 card.

Shaw, who promotes Darchinyan (26-0, 21 KOs), flew to Argentina two weeks ago to cut a deal with Narvaez (21-0-2, 15 KOs), who, like Darchinyan, is a southpaw.

They are also both former Olympians. Darchinyan represented Armenia in the 1996 Games. Narvaez was a two-time Olympian (1996 and 2000) for Argentina.

Shaw said that Narvaez's participation in the fight is contingent upon him defeating mandatory challenger Rexon Flores Aug. 5 in Cordoba, Argentina. Shaw said the fight wouldn't be signed until after the Aug. 5 fight. Story

Instead, Corrales will defend his 135-pound crown against former junior lightweight titlist Joel Casamayor in a rubber match Oct. 7 on Showtime during the network's free preview weekend, Corrales promoter Gary Shaw told ESPN.com on Saturday.

"It's done. It's made," Shaw said. "I have Casamayor's signed contract back and Diego will sign his Tuesday because he is out of town, but the fight is done. Now they can settle their score."

Casamayor (33-3-1, 21 KOs) stopped Corrales (40-3, 33 KOs) in their first action-packed fight Oct. 4, 2003. In the non-title bout, Casamayor went down once and Corrales was knocked down twice before the fight was stopped due to heavy bleeding from cuts to Corrales' mouth and lip.

In the immediate rematch, Corrales won a vacant junior lightweight belt on a split decision March 6, 2004. Although Corrales was knocked down in the 10th round, most viewed him as the clear winner.

Corrales was supposed to face Castillo in a rubber match in June, but the fight was canceled the day before because Castillo failed to make the 135-pound lightweight limit for the second consecutive bout with Corrales.

That left Shaw to find Corrales the biggest fight he could make, and Casamayor, a 1992 Olympic gold medalist for Cuba before defecting shortly before the 1996 Games, fit the bill.

On July 7, Casamayor scored a ninth-round TKO of Lamont Pearson on ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights," and following the bout, Casamayor, promoter Luis DeCubas and Corrales, who was the "FNF" studio guest, got into a heated exchange during a joint interview.

Casamayor demanded a rubber match with Corrales, who responded that Casamayor had shown little against Pearson and didn't deserve one.

But things quickly changed, Shaw said.

"At the time of that interview earlier this month, there was no discussion about this fight," Shaw said. "But 'Chico' will fight anybody, to his credit. We looked at opponents who were available and what we could make and what we couldn't. This fight was one I knew we could make. I thought it was a good rubber match, and these guys don't like each other, so it makes for a good fight and good theater. So Diego said, 'Make the fight,' and I did."

Shaw said he hopes to match former super middleweight titlist Jeff Lacy (21-1, 17 KOs) against Allan Green (21-0, 15 KOs) on the undercard. Green knocked out Season 1 "Contender" participant Anthony Bonsante in the fifth round on this week's "Friday Night Fights."

Lacy hasn't fought since March, when he lost his 168-pound belt to Joe Calzaghe in a lopsided unification fight.

Shaw said he and Green promoter Tony Holden have had fruitful discussions and that the fight can be made if Lacy agrees to it.

The fight with Green came about after negotiations for a Lacy fight against former light heavyweight champ Antonio Tarver fell apart this week over Tarver's demands.

"Tarver-Lacy is dead," Shaw said. "It was obvious by his financial demands that Tarver didn't want the fight."

Shaw hasn't yet secured a venue for Corrales-Casamayor III, but he hopes to place it in Las Vegas. Wherever it lands, it will face stiff competition on television from HBO, which will go head-to-head with Showtime when 7-foot, 320-pound Nicolay Valuev of Russia defends his heavyweight belt against Monte Barrett from New York's Madison Square Garden.

Shaw said he isn't worried about the competition.

"I think the Valuev fight is almost a freak show, and I think ours is a real fight," Shaw said. "I'm not really concerned. If I can pull Jeff and Allan Green off to go with Corrales-Casamayor, I think it's a much better show. But the fans will decide which one they think is the real show."

i want to see Corrales vs Casamayor III...........................

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Corrales vs Casamayor III..........

Shaw said he hopes to match former super middleweight titlist Jeff Lacy (21-1, 17 KOs) against Allan Green (21-0, 15 KOs) on the undercard. Green knocked out Season 1 "Contender" participant Anthony Bonsante in the fifth round on this week's "Friday Night Fights."

looks like lacy vs green is not going to happen.......still want to see chico vs casa III that looks almost done......

maybe im the only one who wants to see this.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

should be a great fight I say Corrales pulls out a descion.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by rsan-chez

looks like lacy vs green is not going to happen.......still want to see chico vs casa III that looks almost done......

no, it'll be an awesome fight to watch. chico ought to haul it up to 140 after though. for all this talk about how drained he always is at fights because of the weight, he needs to do something about it or shut up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza
    Quote Originally Posted by rsan-chez

no, it'll be an awesome fight to watch. chico ought to haul it up to 140 after though. for all this talk about how drained he always is at fights because of the weight, he needs to do something about it or shut up.

This will be a great fight that has risen out of the ashes of the Castillo fight. Corrales is a warrior willing to take on all comers but Casamoyer is his equal and is desperate to get back to the status he was at prior to the Frietas fight. Flip a coin, but Corrales would be my pick if I had to put my money on it, both fighters desperate to seek revenge on thier rivals (Corrales-Mayweather) (Casamoyer-Frietas) and will stop at nothing, will be a fight of two strong wills.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

CC for the news bro,answers all those questions about Diego "Ducking" Joel. Should be agreat great fight,Diego needs to take the approach from the second fight and for Cas,he NEEDS to win or it could be all over for him!! I think Casamayor pulls out a decision.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Casamayor is avery good fighter but past his best IMO. It remains to be seen how much Chico has left after is last fight but this 1 will be a more tactical battle . Not so intense so as the Castillo fight , so im going with the bigger , faster guy Chico . I think he'l put in mopre effort than Casamayor who is rather reserved these days and Chico will win on points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i feel the trilogy may have come to late for casamayor, he struggled like hell with kid diamond and look at what nate cambell done to him

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Where is Starr now?

Casamaor didn't look very good in his last outing against very average competiton. Corrales beat a prime Casamayor in their second fight and will do it easier this time imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by aangel
    should be a great fight I say Corrales pulls out a descion.
    I see corrales pulling this one off.....he's better than he was the last time these guys fought....
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Corrales has faded more than Casamayor since they last fought. Remember Corrales got his ass knocked out in his last fight. I'm not saying Joel will KO him but I can see Corrales going down a couple of times again. Casamayor will win this bout in a tough fight by decision. I'm so glad to hear this fight is pretty much done, it's the best fight that could be made @ lightweight.

Also Darchinyan will pick up another belt with another KO
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Casamayor will win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see a good fight with both fighters being dropped.

Chico wins it on points.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IronDanLaw
    I can see a good fight with both fighters being dropped.

Chico wins it on points.
    I agree that both guys will touch the canvas, but I can't see Corrales getting a decision over Casamayor this time
    The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Casamator is 34, technically now he is worse than ever due to slowing of his reactions, I think this gives corrales a slight edge. TBH I'd be almost equally excited to see Lacy vs Green, now that fight will either be an all out war or a complete stinker depending on jeff lacy's mental state, i don't know if he has it in him after taking such a pounding off calzaghe.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Thread Information