Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who was the best british/irish middle/supermiddle ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Who was the best british/irish middle/supermiddle ?

Was it NIGEL BENN ? The awesome hooker, uppercutter and swinger ?

Was it CHRIS EUBANK ? The slick, defensive fighter with the awkward counterpunching ?

Was it HEROL GRAHAM ? The evasive, peppering pure boxer with his hands by his waist ?

Was it MICHAEL WATSON ? The cool yet calculated, stiff yet smooth allarounder ?

Was it STEVE COLLINS ? The determined, durable and difficult to deal with warrior ?

Was it JOE CALZAGHE ? The sharp handed southpaw with the arm punching wizardry ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who was the best british/irish middle/supermiddle ?

The dark destroyer baby, the man was solid, shame he never beat eubank though i put it down to clash of styles.
    although i like collins cos he's funny has anyone seen his dvd, hes so dim
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

calzaghe for me
    I'm the real pretty boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

calzaghe is deffo up there and i wouldnt like to say who is better then who but its kinda cool how it seems people who prefer defferent generations prefer each fighter. lol also depending what nationality aswell i guess
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

All very good fighters and fighters I got the priviledge to see. It's hard to pick one from so many since they all had traits I admired. Pre-Watson Eubank was the ultimate counter puncher. That low stance and those pouncing attcks. Lethal at hurting his opponent with a perfect counter and absolutely ruthless in the finish once he had them going. Even after the Watson tradegy he could smell when the opponent was hurt and he would get the job done in an efficient way. The guy could take a dig too and he had heart that belied his ridiculous showboating. Just watch him beat the count in the first round when he was clearly on the decline and fight a hard, gritty fight eventually in vein, to an upcoming Joe Calzaghe. Eubank never lacked grit nor determination to win. He was a touch of class, despite the fact he is a right pompous pr*ck and not someone I ever held in much esteem out of the ring. He's my pick of this bunch.
    Benn was awesome though, the best to watch. Benn-McClellan, horrible ending aside, is required viewing. What a fight.
    Calzaghe has been winning me over as time has gone on. I really thought he dropped that decision to Robin Reid in 1990 in Newcastle. I thought The Grim Reaper did enough to get the nod. He had Joe eating the left hook counter all night. When it came to the Lacy fight I was pretty certain Joe would be found out. Lacy looked strong and determined and from what I had seen of him, amatuer and pro, he looked like an Iron Mike, only at Middle. Joe dominated him. No other way to describe it. That was a world class performance without doubt. I think if Joe can stay injury free then there are some very lucrative fights particularly if he wants to travel over the pond to where he has sparked an interest with the US boxing public. With the exception of B-Hop (assuming he fights again) I think Joe has a good chance with Tarver, Johnson, Woods and a massively faded Roy JJ. The US is where it is in terms of boxing success. If he wins there against one of the Big Dogs then he'll jump right up the list of great British Middles.
    I think this discussion has to involve Turpin and Minter. I never got to see them live like the other guys in this thread, but it wouldnt be complete without them getting a mention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1) Eubank
    2) Graham
    3) Calzaghe
    4) Benn
    5) Watson
    6) Collins

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by WWatt
    1) Eubank
    2) Graham
    3) Calzaghe
    4) Benn
    5) Watson
    6) Collins
    How can you have somebody that failed at each world title attempt ahead of somebody who is the longest reigning world champion in world boxing??

Don't get me wrong I loved Bomber, but he is only that high on any list due to talent and potential not achievement
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H
    1) Eubank
    2) Graham
    3) Calzaghe
    4) Benn
    5) Watson
    6) Collins
    How can you have somebody that failed at each world title attempt ahead of somebody who is the longest reigning world champion in world boxing??

Don't get me wrong I loved Bomber, but he is only that high on any list due to talent and potential not achievement
    Exactly. It's asking for 'best', not 'top'.

Benn is the best achievement-wise. I think Eubank is the biggest waste of talent.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1) Eubank
    2) Graham
    3) Calzaghe
    4) Benn
    5) Watson
    6) Collins

Exactly, it's asking for 'best'.. not 'most accomplished'.
    Fair enough m8
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1) Eubank
    2) Graham
    3) Calzaghe
    4) Benn
    5) Watson
    6) Collins

Exactly, it's asking for 'best'.. not 'most accomplished'.
    Fair enough m8
    Yep

ICB Guest

collins beat eubank and benn he should be higher

ICB Guest

i dont think eubank should be number 1 either

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    collins beat eubank and benn he should be higher
    ....and Trevor Berbwick beat Muhammad Ali, so should he be higher then him

ICB Guest

eubank wasnt that shot he was still good ali had brain damage and been in too many wars and just got dismantled by larry holmes thats the difference. plus eubank was coming off good win against wharton im not saying collins should be higher but he certainly shouldnt be last and eubank was only 29 wasnt he

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    eubank wasnt that shot he was still good ali had brain damage and been in too many wars and just got dismantled by larry holmes thats the difference. plus eubank was coming off good win against wharton im not saying collins should be higher but he certainly shouldnt be last and eubank was only 29 wasnt he
    What Collins lacked in skill and natural ability he made up for with guts, work rate and strategy. I think he was fortunate to be peaking around the same time as the other 2 were on the slide. He is known as the guy that twice beat Eubank and Benn, but I think this gives a far inflated idea of his place in the nineties mix of Super Middles.

I give him great credit for out thinking, out working and out muscling Eubank, and although Chris was past his best, he was not over the hill by any stretch and still had a lot to offer. I suspect that any time after 91 a Prime Collins would have don the the same to Eubank, not cause I think he is a better fighter, cause I don't, I just think that he would always have to high of a work rate for post Watson Eubank!

Benn however was shot to bits, when he fought Collins and in fairness was shot to bits from the minute the McClelland fight ended - I think Collins would always have taken Benn's power at any time, so prime for prime it's a pick em. I'd lean towards Benn, if he boxed how he did circa 92-94 rather than sluggin it out!!

Thread Information