Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Newbie Questions *Alot*

Hey guys, long time boxing fan and new member of the board,
    This summer i've started to work out very hard in terms of conditioning and some weight training and I'm going to look into joining a boxing gym in the fall. My grandfather on my mothers side was a fighter in Korea before he moved to the US in the 60s. He's shown me a few things before, but I never have gotten proper training. I'm 16 years old, and my parents finally decided to let me go to a gym. Now I have a few questions, so I thank anyone who helps me out.

1. When looking for a gym what criteria should I use? One gym in my city trains alot of Junior Olympic/State Champion Youth, has no cost, but you must have your own equipment. Is this too good to be true?

2. What is the basic equipment I need to purchase to get started? And what should I look for when I go to purchase these things?

3. Im planning on investing in a heavy bag/speed bag + stand, my two questions are, how much will a good one run me, and can these be kept/used outside?

Thanks alot for any help you guys can offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Newbie Questions *Alot*

just read the post about what i had to include in here

Height: 5'8"
    Weight: 125 (yeah im pretty skinny)
    Experience: Have just been shown the basics by my grandfather
    Current Training: This summer have been running 2 miles or more a day, jumprope, weight training and some shadowboxing
    Desire/Goals: I am currently going into boxing trying to become the best I can be, I usually do pretty well in team sports, but boxing is a whole new arena. I would like to take up some ameatuer fights though I am not sure quite yet how much of a possibility thats going to be.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

to the site mate

There are some really knowledgable people on here (much more so than me) so I will let them help you with your questions.

You've come to the right place

Good luck!!
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Coreano
    Hey guys, long time boxing fan and new member of the board,
    This summer i've started to work out very hard in terms of conditioning and some weight training and I'm going to look into joining a boxing gym in the fall. My grandfather on my mothers side was a fighter in Korea before he moved to the US in the 60s. He's shown me a few things before, but I never have gotten proper training. I'm 16 years old, and my parents finally decided to let me go to a gym. Now I have a few questions, so I thank anyone who helps me out.

1. When looking for a gym what criteria should I use? One gym in my city trains alot of Junior Olympic/State Champion Youth, has no cost, but you must have your own equipment. Is this too good to be true?

2. What is the basic equipment I need to purchase to get started? And what should I look for when I go to purchase these things?

3. Im planning on investing in a heavy bag/speed bag + stand, my two questions are, how much will a good one run me, and can these be kept/used outside?

Thanks alot for any help you guys can offer.
    you should check out the stickies first before posting. you might be able to find what you're looking for there. and welcome to saddo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yeah i kind of got question 1 answered by reading the stickies, thanks kkisser!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You need wraps. Most gyms have gloves.

However, here is what I would buy if I was you boxing at a free gym.

Wraps. A must. Mexican 108"s
    Gloves. Bag gloves first. Decent Leather ones will run you about $30-50 on sale at titleboxing or ringside. I'd go with hook/loop 12-14oz. You can also buy Everlast training gloves that you can double as bag gloves if you want. That's what I do. Cheap training gloves on the bag, good training gloves for sparring.
    Once you get sparring, get a mouthguard. $15. And if you can afford it, get some nice 16oz training gloves. I LOVE my Tuf-Wear gloves.
    Headgear. Decent headgear will run you about $40-50.
    Shoes. Optional, IMO. I have the cheapest Title shoes you can get and they're fine. When you turn pro you can go for the good stuff.

Bags: not really necessary, IMO. But I have a vinyl Century bag that I'm happy with and an Everlast gyro leather speedbag. I hung my heavy bag from the basement rafters so no stand was needed, and I made my own platform for the speedbag.

[img width=700 height=465]http://www.freewebs.com/mjmpainting/rf1.jpg[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, when your finding a gym it's sort of hard to judge it on certain criteria.. The best thing you need to look at is what YOU need to get out of it... Go & what a few sessions or even do a few casual classes & see if you like it.. That's the best way.
    And as I said, you need to look at what you want to get out of it.
    A gym might have absolutely wonderful credentials training a lot of successful amatuer's & pro's & if you were at that step in your training where you want to start competing then that gym would be the way to go.

On the other hand as your a beginner you would probably want to find a gym that has classes that teach you the basics & really run though them class after class focusing on buidling up the fundemental skills i.e. punch technique, correct footwork, slipping, that sort of thing.. That class may not be of much use to an advanced trainer, but perfect for someone that really needs to build their foundation.

Some gyms are really just at different levels in that way, so you can't really look at which gym is better or worse, just which is more suited to you & the level you are at.

Good luck.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I Made My Own Speed Bag Platform Also Cuz They Are Freeken Exspensive
    But I Still Havent Bought The Bag Yet.

Thread Information