Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOOKS LIKE TSZYU IS COMING BACK!!!!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default LOOKS LIKE TSZYU IS COMING BACK!!!!

By Peter Badel August 13, 2006

A REJUVENATED Kostya Tszyu is seriously considering a stunning comeback to boxing, admitting that he has unfinished business in the ring.

Tszyu revealed that a return was a genuine possibility after successful surgery on a shoulder injury he kept secret for 21 months.
    Tszyu, who turns 37 next month, fought with the debilitating ailment in his world title loss to England's Ricky Hatton last year, but refused to disclose the problem because he didn't want any excuses.
    The Russian-born slugger had the operation last Wednesday.
    He faces a 12-week recovery, but he gave the strongest indication yet he would make a comeback - four months after claiming he had lost the desire to fight again.
    "A year ago I thought, 'that's it'. But now I think I've found something extra, I've found some other way that I want to fight," said Tszyu, who has not fought since his brutal defeat to Hatton 14 months ago.
    "As far as I'm concerned, there are some unfinished things for me. The satisfaction is not there. It's not the way I want it to end.
    "When I fully recover from this operation, I will make a decision. It will be a very considered decision. I will think it through a lot. I don't want any rush.
    "I never told anyone what my decision would be because of this injury.
    "I knew I had an injury. How could I keep fighting with this injury? I'm not saying I'm definitely going to fight, but I'm not ruling it out yet.
    "If everything is better with this (his shoulder), it's more likely that I will step in the ring again."
    Tszyu's possible return is sure to polarise opinion. His trainer Johnny Lewis has said he will not support any comeback plan. Many others question whether Tszyu can defy Father Time and fight near his optimum again.
    But Tszyu insists he can return a better man than the injury-stricken fighter who was battered by the ruthless Hatton.
    "If I'm going to come back, physically I will definitely be better. My power will be better," he said.
    "I'm 37 next month. In some people's eyes that's old. But I take care of myself.
    "I don't eat rubbish, I don't smoke, I drink the right drinks. Other fighters have fought older than me. My body will tell me."
    The father of three, who has 32 wins from 34 bouts, spoke of the chronic pain in his left shoulder. The injury has persisted since his defeat of Sharmba Mitchell in November 2004, but Tszyu is not blaming it for his loss to Hatton.
    "Every punch I threw was painful," Tszyu said.
    "It's not pleasant to train through the pain all the time. And I mean all the time.
    "Since the Mitchell fight I've had this. For the
    past year, I have felt pain every day.
    "The best way to explain it is that my bicep tendon was twice as small as normal. It was affecting my uppercut and hook punch. I didn't have power in those punches.
    "That's one of the reasons I never said anything (after the Hatton fight).
    "People would see it as an excuse and I've never looked for excuses."
    Tszyu has spoken to wife Natasha about a comeback and vowed to consult
    Lewis before making a definitive call.
    "She doesn't want me to fight. But if I make the decision to fight, she will support me. She knows how important it is to me and I don't see any real issues," Tszyu said.
    "Right now, I don't want to just come back for the sake of fighting. I want to come back and win."

Nicked the post dont no the link sorry.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: LOOKS LIKE TSZYU IS COMING BACK!!!!

Man I think he would really bring life back to the 140s, don't get me wrong, I think there is still considerable talent, but I also think it needs a fresh breath and Kostya could be it!!
    For every story told that divides us, I believe there are a thousand untold that unite us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Could there be a Hatton vs Tszyu Rematch?!?!?! I'd love it love it love it, or Tszyu vs Mayweather would also be just magic!
    Great news indeed.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by killersheep
    Man I think he would really bring life back to the 140s, don't get me wrong, I think there is still considerable talent, but I also think it needs a fresh breath and Kostya could be it!!
    I honestly see him working towards a Mayweather super fight that will be his aim, maybe 2 warm ups of decent opposistion for a Mayweather fight at 147 in 12 months, thats if he does come back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm still not convinced, but like you skel i think if he came back it would be at 147. Crikey it would be awesome if he came back though.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is a see it to believe it moment I have to agree.....If he does return does he really have the desire?
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Excellant.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I love Kostya but I don't think this is the right move. He should just relax with the dance comps etc. I just feel his age etc are against him,if he does come back,I want to see like a warm up match,and then we can all decide whether he should be back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i would love 2 c kostya back in the ring, maybe 3 or even 4 warm up fights for him would be better as he would be very ring rusty by now.
    a rematch with hatton would be awesome and this time it can be sydney but a match up with maywether would be interesting 2 watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by lockie
    i would love 2 c kostya back in the ring, maybe 3 or even 4 warm up fights for him would be better as he would be very ring rusty by now.
    a rematch with hatton would be awesome and this time it can be sydney but a match up with maywether would be interesting 2 watch.
    There is no way Hatton would go over to Sydney for a rematch! KT made that mistake going to fight in Hattons back yard Hatton will not do the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He is old.

Watch what happens when he fights now.

Slow speed and movement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by littlebif
    Quote Originally Posted by lockie
    There is no way Hatton would go over to Sydney for a rematch! KT made that mistake going to fight in Hattons back yard Hatton will not do the same.
    Over $5 million dollers says it wasnt, there would be no money in that fight in Aus hence why the fight was in Manchester.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

if Tszyu fights anyone at 140 I would have loved to see him fight Cotto(if he didn't move up) maybe he coulf fight Cotto at 147
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tszyu has made his money and lived up to his potential; there is nothing left for him to prove...

But if he comes back; can he boil himself down to 140?

And there is no point having 'warm-ups'; he may as well go for the big fight straight away. He has shown in the past that he can come back well from long breaks... but he was a mere 35 then... he is 37 next month

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BK
    Tszyu has made his money and lived up to his potential; there is nothing left for him to prove...

But if he comes back; can he boil himself down to 140?

And there is no point having 'warm-ups'; he may as well go for the big fight straight away. He has shown in the past that he can come back well from long breaks... but he was a mere 35 then... he is 37 next month
    I think he'd beat Cotto though even if he's a little past his prime.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Thread Information