Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default shadow boxing

Can someone please explain to me exactly what is shadow boxing and what are you suppose to do?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: shadow boxing

[quote=AP2007 ]
    Can someone please explain to me exactly what is shadow boxing and what are you suppose to do?

Thanks
    shadow boxing is when you are fighting yourself. you pretend that someone is there and you do different types of punches abd you can practise your boxing punches and skills. that what shadow boxing is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

once you can punch correctly you do shadow boxing to practice foot movement and putting you punches together or leaning weaving slipping and such things stringing your skills together, it might help you fine tune your style, its best done in an open space with a big mirror, like in my gym, the walls are mirrors and it rocks for shadow.
    also you might think it feels uncomfortable doing shadow boxing whther at home or in front of others at the gym but its worth doing and normal to do so keep at it and it'll help alot.
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Done properly its the most important part of learning technique. Unfortunatly not many people do it properly
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ok, thanks alot. I will work on that. If there is any other things i should learn. Just let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap
    Done properly its the most important part of learning technique. Unfortunatly not many people do it properly
    yeh i feel like when i watch ppl do shadow at my gym theyr not actually going for it , like its embarssing to hit air, and like they dont feel its important they just cant seem to forget the rest and concentrate
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Get A Mirror And Throw Correct Punches At It, Just Dont Hit It

Make Sure Your Throwing Your Punches Correctly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We do alot of shadowboxing at our gym, every trainingsession starts with it. We also shadowbox with each other (like sparring, but without touching eachother and with enough distance) Not only good for technique, but also a steady warming up when you do it really relaxed purely on techniques. At the end of the training we also often do shadowboxing, and then it's more 'serious' which means: faster, more power in the airpunches, faster moving etc.

A benefit for starting every training with it, is that also beginners do it (with guidence) , so there's no embarresemend for anyone to do shadowboxing. And it's fun. Just pretend you're up against any boxer you like (no-one knows, it's all in you're head ) and pretend how you're going to knock them down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ok i will do it.. Thanks for the advice

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The problem with shadow boxing is that most people see it as a conditioning drill, rather than a skill drill.

Its good for warming up and stretching all the muscles you use but it's as a conditioning drill it's pretty weak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^^^ that's true actually.. I've noticed a lot of people when shadow boxing really go for it trying to throw everything as fast as possible, and actually sparing little thought for correct technique.. I guess they are trying to condition themselves by going nuts at it, either that or trying to impress people who may be watching....

but i agree it should really be used for skill buildling.
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi AP2007,
    You asked:
    Essentially, "shadow boxing" is air-boxing an imaginary opponent. It can be used for both skill-building and conditioning in the form of isolation drills and simulated sparring/fighting. It's a great way to instill/ingrain good habits.

In my opinion, the biggest concern with shadow boxing is getting overzealous with it and risking hyperextended elbows. The best way to reduce the odds of doing this to yourself is to vividly, and I mean very vividly, imagine/visualize a living, breathing, moving opponent right in front of you at the optimal distance(s) for your punch(es) at all times AND executing with controlled/focused aggression. I can't emphasize enough how crucial this is when shadow boxing. Besides, providing spatial context to your shadow boxing work, doing this can also add psychological/emotional context to it as well if you visualize someone you'd actually like to destroy.

Anyway, hope this helps...

Take Care,
    Lito

Thread Information