Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikolai Valuev: Is He The Real Deal?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Nikolai Valuev: Is He The Real Deal?

19.09.06 - By Dave Domenico: On October 7, boxing fans will get to see the coming out party for the seven foot Russian giant Nikolai Valuev. Individuals with his stature and image have been a collective part of the entertainment industry. Movies and professional wrestling have had their share of giant entertainers over the years. Boxing, on the other hand, was never a venue for large men. In today’s world, the average heavyweight stands well over six feet tall and weighs an average of 240lbs. That is certainly considered a “big” heavyweight for today’s standards. When compared to these averages, Valuev is far above the norm. The only other man like him in heavyweight history was Primo Carnera. In case you don’t already know, Carnera was heavyweight champion in the late 1930’s. He was a huge specimen at 6’ 6’’, 260 lbs and towered over the fighters of that time. Unfortunately, Carnera ultimately lacked the overall skill to compete with the smaller and faster heavyweights of the era.

Today, Valuev finds himself in a similar role. A giant man in a very big era for heavyweight champions. Valuev gained the boxing world’s attention when he won the WBA heavyweight title. He scored a controversial decision victory over John Ruiz. Many people who saw the fight felt that Ruiz won a close decision but was robbed. Perhaps it was viewed that Valuev would prove to be a more marketable champion than the ever-unpopular Ruiz. I don’t know, just my opinion. A few months ago, Valuev made his first title defense by knocking out fringe contender Owen Beck in just three rounds. That brings us up to date.

In just a few short weeks, Valuev will make his first title defense in the U.S. against American fringe contender Monte Barrett. Barrett’s last fight was decision loss against former WBC champion Hasim Rahman. It is fairly obvious that Barrett is a intended to be handpicked opponent to show case Valuev as the next boxing attraction. Valuev is a giant, and that alone makes him a spectacle in boxing. No question about that.

The question is can he fight. Is he the real deal or another hyped up stiff? His fight against Barrett will be shown live on HBO. That is a good thing because it gives the average fight fan a chance to see him in action. He is certainly not PPV material yet. Few fighters are these days. But at least on October 7, boxing fans will get some indication as to whether Valuev is for real or not. I wish him success. However, if he falls short, the WWE is always looking for new talent.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com

El Kabong Guest

Default Re: Nikolai Valuev: Is He The Real Deal?

....to answer your question

Fighting the likes of Monte Barrett, Owen Beck, and Attila Levin does not make him "the real deal"

The man is 7'0 feet tall, 325 pounds he should be fighting Mountain Lions and Grizzly Bears and not BUMS...put him in with a KILLER like Wlad or hell even Sam Peter, I'll respect him a little if he beats Sam....I'll really respect him if he can beat Wlad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle

Fighting the likes of Monte Barrett, Owen Beck, and Attila Levin does not make him "the real deal"

The man is 7'0 feet tall, 325 pounds he should be fighting Mountain Lions and Grizzly Bears and not BUMS...put him in with a KILLER like Wlad or hell even Sam Peter, I'll respect him a little if he beats Sam....I'll really respect him if he can beat Wlad.
    Yes he can be the real deal.

Lyle's just a hater.

I mean come on...Wlad got destroyed by Brewster...BREWSTER...who lost to Etienne & Shufford...who then beat Peter...who almost beat Wlad...& then Wlad almost get's beaten by DaVarryl Williamson...moves on to fight Castillo...then destroys Byrd...whom he had pretty much destroyed before...& now is fighting Brock who has fought no one...even though I like Brock...he's fought no one...& now is...oh my...

Lyle...don't be a hater...I like Wlad...& I'm willing to give Valuev a shot...you should too...come on.

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

El Kabong Guest

No Valuev gets no shot from me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hate hate hate hate hate...

Where's my gotdam picture of Jesse muhfwockin Jackson??!?

Never beg a 40 dollar hooker...specially after she's just turned down your mom's credit card!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205

Oh here it is...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gotdam riz-ight!!!

Represent Jess!!!

El Kabong Guest

Oh I hate THAT motherfucker!

The Confederate Flag has been on the SC State Capital building since the 60's and in the late 90's 2000's Jesse all of a sudden finds a problem with it.

As for Valuev...his day will come

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes he can be the real deal.

Lyle's just a hater.

I mean come on...Wlad got destroyed by Brewster...BREWSTER...who lost to Etienne & Shufford...who then beat Peter...who almost beat Wlad...& then Wlad almost get's beaten by DaVarryl Williamson...moves on to fight Castillo...then destroys Byrd...whom he had pretty much destroyed before...& now is fighting Brock who has fought no one...even though I like Brock...he's fought no one...& now is...oh my...

Lyle...don't be a hater...I like Wlad...& I'm willing to give Valuev a shot...you should too...come on.

I'm not sure if it's the drunkenness or stupidity talking. But your way off on Valuev. The guys garbage. The only thing he gots going for him is he's 7 foot tall. Which means he's a big pile of garbage. Take your sc and go sober up.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What did Jessie Jackson do to be in a mug shot??
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He was probably arrested at a sit in or protest or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No he isn't. That Beck fight he should be disqualified for

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer
    What did Jessie Jackson do to be in a mug shot??
    Being born
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh here it is...
    Here he is without the mustache...

El Kabong Guest

But anyways, back to Valuev!

All Valuev has done is be a big old hairy knuckle dragging ape of a fighter who hasn't stepped up his level of competition over 44 fights.

This guys toughest fights were Ruiz and Donald! Taking nothing away from Larry he's a tough nut to crack but Ruiz is EASY for big fighters to fight as long as you have a halfway decent jab. That being said there are a lack of punchers on his record as well!

The guy was staggared by Taras Bidenko! And caught pretty good by Otis Tisdale! Imagine if that was Sam Peter, or worse yet Wladimir Klitschko!

I think Oleg Maskaev vs Valuev would be an even match up, so yeah the guy has SOME skill but not enough to legitimately be 44-0-0

Thread Information