Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duva Fuming at Toney/Rematch Talk!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Duva Fuming at Toney/Rematch Talk!

http://www.boxingbuzz.com/peter-klit...temanche20.htm

Dino Duva, President of Duva Boxing and promoter of WBC #1 contender Samuel “The Nigerian Nightmare” Peter says he’s enraged by even the speculation of the WBC ordering a rematch between Peter and James “Lights Out” Toney.

Peter scored a close but entirely legitimate split decision win over Toney in a WBC elimination bout on September 2. While the bout was competitive, there are no solid grounds for ordering a repeat other than Toney’s camp being unhappy with the outcome.

“(Toney’s promoter) Dan Goossen has filed a protest with the WBC, regarding the fight and requesting an immediate rematch be ordered. And from what I hear, the WBC is putting it to a vote. This should never happen. This should not even be put to a vote for several reasons:

The WBC would be taking the scoring out of neutral officials’ hands.
    The fact is the scoring was not that close. Two judges had it scored by five points for Peter
    James Toney’s character, or lack of, shouldn’t be continuously awarded by the WBC.
    In a recent poll of respected boxing writers, an overwhelming majority indicated that regardless of who they thought won, a rematch should not be ordered by the WBC and it would not be in the best interest of boxing or the WBC.
    Infuriated by having been forced to deal with the volatile Toney and his continuously unprofessional antics, Duva says the WBC would be making a huge mistake by acquiescing to Goossen and Toney’s refusal to accept a legitimate loss, “also, on a personal level, he continually makes disparaging remarks about people and their personal lives and he’s not only a disgrace to boxing but also a disgrace to the human race. If the WBC gives him another opportunity he doesn’t deserve, they would be lowering themselves to his level.”

Duva says that Toney’s behavior has always been detrimental to boxing and that he’s flabbergasted at how many opportunities he continues to receive. “James Toney has continually behaved this way throughout his whole career. He crosses the line into people’s personal lives and says a lot of things that make boxing look bad. He made a ton of hateful remarks to Sam and his camp before the fight and even made disparaging remarks about a respected WBC official in a recent interview. James Toney shouldn’t even be in the picture. The WBC should start taking character into account and James Toney has none. Enough is enough. This kind of thing cannot be rewarded and it would be a disgrace to the boxing business.”

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Duva Fuming at Toney/Rematch Talk!

Im gonna be rude here, but FUCK Duva....Toney won that fight!!!

Bring on a rematch and watch Toney shake that blubber one more time!

Toney can win, but he really should wake up to himself and realise he cant keep being a fatty and getting away with it...clear it beyond all doubt this time....

If it happens that is...

El Kabong Guest

I've said it before I'll say it again "Once Marrone loses Duva will have a massive coronary"...but on this topic Duva is pissed because he knows his guy lost

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think Toney could beat him just like he did the first time around

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Finally!!! Hopefully Justice will be served and we'll see these guys go at it 1 more time....James you need to take care of business again!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Time is running out on James

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can see Duva's point of view completely as far he is concerned. He is rightly arguing that the judges are the people responsible for calling a fight and the WBC cannot just override their decisions if and when they feel like it, else what is the point of having judges?

Having said that I, along with the majority of boxing fans felt that Toney gave Peter a boxing lesson and clearly and decisively won the fight. If you saw the Guzman Barrios fight last weekend, it was a very similar fight, although here the righ guy got the decision, despite the judges still being blind and nearly giving it to the wrong guy again!

My biggest question that I have however is this. If the WBC orders a rematch, then they will have to do so on the grounds that the previous fight judging was incompetent.

If this is the case, what happens to these judges?

It seems to me that you never, ever hear of any judges losing their job or being demoted for making incompetent decisions that cost the boxers, promoters, betting fans etc hundreds of thousands maybe millions of dollars.

Personally I think judges should be made accountable and struck off when they fuck up big time. For example the three judges who awarded Jesse Brinkley victory over Bonsante last year should never be allowed to judge again, the judges who awarded Vernon Forrest his fight over Quartey should at the very least be answerable for their actions and maybe have their purses witheld for that fight.

I know none of this will ever happen, and that if it did it would just throw the sport into more dissaray but maybe if the judges had to award each round instantly so everyone including the fighters knew who won the round it would help to open up the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
    I can see Duva's point of view completely as far he is concerned. He is rightly arguing that the judges are the people responsible for calling a fight and the WBC cannot just override their decisions if and when they feel like it, else what is the point of having judges?

Having said that I, along with the majority of boxing fans felt that Toney gave Peter a boxing lesson and clearly and decisively won the fight. If you saw the Guzman Barrios fight last weekend, it was a very similar fight, although here the righ guy got the decision, despite the judges still being blind and nearly giving it to the wrong guy again!

My biggest question that I have however is this. If the WBC orders a rematch, then they will have to do so on the grounds that the previous fight judging was incompetent.

If this is the case, what happens to these judges?

It seems to me that you never, ever hear of any judges losing their job or being demoted for making incompetent decisions that cost the boxers, promoters, betting fans etc hundreds of thousands maybe millions of dollars.

Personally I think judges should be made accountable and struck off when they F*** up big time. For example the three judges who awarded Jesse Brinkley victory over Bonsante last year should never be allowed to judge again, the judges who awarded Vernon Forrest his fight over Quartey should at the very least be answerable for their actions and maybe have their purses witheld for that fight.

I know none of this will ever happen, and that if it did it would just throw the sport into more dissaray but maybe if the judges had to award each round instantly so everyone including the fighters knew who won the round it would help to open up the sport.
    I agree, remember Britian Vs Brazil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They need to follow how other major sports handle their referrees and judges. All of the other sports have some sort of commision that over sees referees and judges. Boxing has to do the same thing. Ther refs and judges have to be held accountable. There should be a panel that reviews how the judges are doing and the panel can suspend any judge or ref they feel is performin unsatisfactory.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When will people stop making excuses for Toney's fat ass!! He hasn't looked good since the Jirov cruiserweight fight but people keep trying to push him as a great heavyweight. The man DOES NOT KNOW how to train properly. So what if he is a slick boxer...a PROFESSIONAL athelete comes prepared during a competition. He hasn't...and the only reason he has not been schooled is because he has fought a bunch of stiffs. The man is old, fat, and talks waaaaaaaaay more than he trains. He needs to sit his fat butt down and watch himself getting schooled by Roy back in the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin
    When will people stop making excuses for Toney's fat a**!! He hasn't looked good since the Jirov cruiserweight fight but people keep trying to push him as a great heavyweight. The man DOES NOT KNOW how to train properly. So what if he is a slick boxer...a PROFESSIONAL athelete comes prepared during a competition. He hasn't...and the only reason he has not been schooled is because he has fought a bunch of stiffs. The man is old, fat, and talks waaaaaaaaay more than he trains. He needs to sit his fat butt down and watch himself getting schooled by Roy back in the day.
    smells like zhubin has been hitting on that hate pipe again.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If i'm a hater for not rooting/having faith in a boxer who likes eating way more than training...a hater I am! You clever Toney fans keep hold onto that pipe dream that he will be a great champion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Duva's just pissed because they only had enough spare cash to pay off the judges one time around.

btw.. as funny as it sounds, the guy who posted about reviewing these judges peridically is right on the money. These guys need some sysstem of checks and balances and some sort of "annual accuracy check" if you will. It would have also helped to have punchstat handy during that fight.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mucho testosterone
    Duva's just pissed because they only had enough spare cash to pay off the judges one time around.

btw.. as funny as it sounds, the guy who posted about reviewing these judges peridically is right on the money. These guys need some sysstem of checks and balances and some sort of "annual accuracy check" if you will. It would have also helped to have punchstat handy during that fight.
    Yea no shit, where were the punchstats for that it was driving me crazy.. Does showtime not use them??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Because he knows Toney will come in lighter and Peter will come in heavier and Toney would beat him more convincingly.
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Thread Information